GCMB Poll: Worst UF football coach ever

Which UF coach bombed the most? (Won-loss record, years coached)

• Charlie Strong (0-1, 2004)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charley Pell (33-26, 1979-1984)

• Urban Meyer (65-15, 2005-2010)

• Galen Hall (40-18, 1984-1989)

• Total voters

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Munsons in Order of Greatness:

1. Thurman
2. Roy

That is all...

latest

3. Eddie Munson

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This couldn't be more wrong and on so many levels.....what little I had to hear of Munson always sounded like he was a horse's ass with the world's most grating voice.

Otis Boggs, Chris Schenkel, Curt Gowdy, Dizzy Dean....

I agree Munson was a homer of homer. His two most famous calls are complete homer calls.

I guess he might have made you "feel like you were there" for a game in Athens. For a game anywhere else he might have made you "feel like you were" in Athens.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
If a thread is going off track it should at least be worthwhile

REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Jesus C. couldnt make baseball interesting. Paint dries faster than America's past time. Its time has past.
You dont like what Munson represented. Who he announced for. He was a homer. Otis was and Mick is. I love that.
Otis was my first connection to gator BB and football. He will never be replaced.
If you heard Munson do some of his famous stuff like Herschel running over UT the first time you would hear what Im talking about.
This is like hating MJ but appreciating his ability. I can hate what Herschel did when he played us but you cannot deny his talent and skills.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus C. couldnt make baseball interesting. Paint dries faster than America's past time. Its time has past.
You dont like what Munson represented. Who he announced for. He was a homer. Otis was and Mick is. I love that.
Otis was my first connection to gator BB and football. He will never be replaced.
If you heard Munson do some of his famous stuff like Herschel running over UT the first time you would hear what Im talking about.
This is like hating MJ but appreciating his ability. I can hate what Herschel did when he played us but you cannot deny his talent and skills.

This is your line in the sand? A dead uga announcer?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I appreciate nothing about that drunk old bastard. F*ck him!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going with Dickey just for the fact that he had an amazing array of talent on his teams and managed to lose anyway. The defense was always loaded with first rounders, and we had wideouts and running backs with unbelievable speed. Wes Chandler, Chris Collinsworth, Tony Green, Willie Wilder, Derrick Gaffney, Scott Brantley, David Little, etc., etc., etc. If you can't win with those guys, you are seriously lacking as a coach.

That's a very accurate assessment IMO. We were loaded on both sides of the ball, esp on offense, but completely hemmed in by Dickey's insistence on running the wishbone no matter the circumstance and with no in-game adjustments. In other words, we were terrific as front runners but totally effed when we fell behind. We couldn't throw the ball. Hence how we ended up squandering the 27-13 halftime lead over Georgia in 1976, the game that featured fourth-and-dumb.

As much as "Run Lindsay Run" hacked me off, I think the collapse in '76 was even worse. No one expected us to compete with Georgia in 1980. That '76 team was full of talent.

How did Bear Bryant describe Florida? The sleeping giant? He knew how high Florida could climb with the fertile recruiting base if it got the right leadership. Heck, he feared it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well by this criteria it was clearly Meyer. UF had THE program that was the envy of all of college football in 2001. Sure Zook too a little luster off of it, but it was still pretty much a fine program.

The Meyer trip was fun. Not unlike the exciting cousin taking you on a wild spring break trip. Of course when you end up with a felony conviction and can not get a professional job the rest of your life, the trip does not seem worth it. That sums up the Meyer years to me.

That's exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that, but as a talking point. Even Meyer admitted the program was broken by the time he was ready to leave. It's impossible to have the ending overshadow the two titles, however. Urban Meyer took us to places no one else could ever conceive.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's a very accurate assessment IMO. We were loaded on both sides of the ball, esp on offense, but completely hemmed in by Dickey's insistence on running the wishbone no matter the circumstance and with no in-game adjustments. In other words, we were terrific as front runners but totally effed when we fell behind.
That's pretty much the definition of the option. It's great when you are ahead and it's running right but it is absolute shyt when you are behind and need big yardage.

It's also at least as dangerous for turnovers as a bad vertical passing game with a bad QB. Even a the slightest thing can screw up the option timing and a bad pitch often equals a scoop six. At least if the QB throws an INT its downfield and is a half ass punt.

How did Bear Bryant describe Florida? The sleeping giant? He knew how high Florida could climb with the fertile recruiting base if it got the right leadership. Heck, he feared it.
Luckily we are back to sleep and the McLuvin Four Losses Crowd hopes to keep us there.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that, but as a talking point. Even Meyer admitted the program was broken by the time he was ready to leave. It's impossible to have the ending overshadow the two titles, however. Urban Meyer took us to places no one else could ever conceive.
I don't buy that urban left the program broken. We won 11 games 2 years after he left because of how loaded we were on the defensive side of the ball.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp was awful but we won back to back eastern division championships because of how stacked our defense was. We were so loaded even swag juice looked like a decent coordinator. We damn sure haven't won any games because of our offense. Who coaches that side of the ball?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't buy that urban left the program broken. We won 11 games 2 years after he left because of how loaded we were on the defensive side of the ball.

Meyer took a classy program with a small about of Zook dust on it and turned it into the program of Aaron Hernandez. It is more than a matter of Ws and Ls or even talent that destroys a program. It is turning it into a selfish program that makes it hard to rebuild.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer took a classy program with a small about of Zook dust on it and turned it into the program of Aaron Hernandez. It is more than a matter of Ws and Ls or even talent that destroys a program. It is turning it into a selfish program that makes it hard to rebuild.
I don't get it? What does aaron Hernandez being "selfish" have to do with anything? We had a couple guys with bad attidudes didnt affect the program. FSU seems to be doing fine with all the shcitheads they got. That's nothing more than a cheap cop out to pass some blame on urban. If urban is such a culture killer, why is his teams thriving now?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
More than that, he left an offense highlighted by Trey Burton, two below average scat backs who were really punt returners, and two straight OL classes of 2 recruits. The offense was dead by the time he left town. Dead.

We just haven't found a magician capable of fixing it and as long as we keep shaking the Saban tree, we never will.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get it? What does aaron Hernandez being "selfish" have to do with anything? We had a couple guys with bad attidudes didnt affect the program. FSU seems to be doing fine with all the shcitheads they got. That's nothing more than a cheap cop out to pass some blame on urban. If urban is such a culture killer, why is his teams thriving now?

:facepalm:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
More than that, he left an offense highlighted by Trey Burton and two straight OL classes of 2 recruits. The offense was dead by the time he left town. Dead.

We just haven't found a magician capable of fixing it and as long as we keep shaking the Saban tree, we never will.
Gillislie and Jordan reed were decent. Hell, we still haven't seen a qb that could tote john brantleys jock strap.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
as long as we keep shaking the Saban tree, we never will.

I think we could go on about the state Meyer left the program in. But this is the real problem. Saban maybe is ok for the UAL program, but he is not what I want at UF. UF copying UAL did not worked out with Pell nor Muschamp and I wonder if it will work out with McElwain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.