Generators

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks, did he have the tank buried?
They talked him out of it due to the fence, pool and septic proximity. He’s going to either have them relocate it and do it or put a small fence around it. It’s next to the privacy fence, so I would just do the small fence.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
They talked him out of it due to the fence, pool and septic proximity. He’s going to either have them relocate it and do it or put a small fence around it. It’s next to the privacy fence, so I would just do the small fence.
Sounds like my situation...between the pool, irrigation, fences, trees and all sorts of other BS around here there is almost nowhere you can dig......or dig without repairing or replacing something else.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
I'm starting to lean towards a stand by system maybe 16k-22kwatt. Has anyone had one installed recently? Would love to know the cost of installation and what size LP tank they would require? Cost of tank and any other input greatly appreciated.

22KW installed was around 7. I already had the LP tank (500 gal) buried when we built the house.
Make sure if you order one that it has the transfer switch.

If you go on generacs website they show the fuel consumption of the different models under different loads.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
22KW installed was around 7. I already had the LP tank (500 gal) buried when we built the house.
Make sure if you order one that it has the transfer switch.

If you go on generacs website they show the fuel consumption of the different models under different loads.
Do you have the ability to shut yours down manually? Like say if your electricity were still down and you wanted to shutdown for a few hours in the middle of the night or whenever to reserve fuel? The reason I ask is I really don't want to go with a 500 gallon tank because I probably wouldn't be able to bury it. I'm assuming the 22kw probably uses 4gph or so under full load....so a 250g tank would be about 9 days worth of full running 24/7.....just curious.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Do you have the ability to shut yours down manually? Like say if your electricity were still down and you wanted to shutdown for a few hours in the middle of the night or whenever to reserve fuel? The reason I ask is I really don't want to go with a 500 gallon tank because I probably wouldn't be able to bury it. I'm assuming the 22kw probably uses 4gph or so under full load....so a 250g tank would be about 9 days worth of full running 24/7.....just curious.

Yes. You can shut it off manually. I think( I haven’t actually done it but you would just switch it from automatic to manual operation)

I want to say under a moderate load it would run 21 days on a full tank of lp. You are right on in your assumption on the 4 GPH. Here’s a link with all the info on them.

http://gens.generac.com/generaccorp...s-guardian-16kw-20kw-22kw_spec-sheet-2017.pdf

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So I guess I dug this thread up for nothing :lol: but it looks like it created some good conversation.

I was going to consider this generator, because of it's output and the reviews basically stating it is legit, and for the price there is nothing that compares that I found.
A-iPower 9000-Watt Gasoline Powered Electric Start Portable Generator-SUA12000E - The Home Depot

Was then going to install a manual transfer switch, because the cost of doing so is very close to the cost of a good portable A/C unit, with the benefit of not having to have cords running all over the place, and with the transfer switch, we'd have the ability (with careful power management) to have basically whole house power, minus a few things here and there.

We rent the house my dad owns, and I grew up in, so since we don't own it, my wife said fck it, we'll just go get a hotel if we need to :lol: Apparently she doesn't want to pay for anything we can't take with us when we do buy a house lol

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
So I guess I dug this thread up for nothing :lol: but it looks like it created some good conversation.

I was going to consider this generator, because of it's output and the reviews basically stating it is legit, and for the price there is nothing that compares that I found.
A-iPower 9000-Watt Gasoline Powered Electric Start Portable Generator-SUA12000E - The Home Depot

Was then going to install a manual transfer switch, because the cost of doing so is very close to the cost of a good portable A/C unit, with the benefit of not having to have cords running all over the place, and with the transfer switch, we'd have the ability (with careful power management) to have basically whole house power, minus a few things here and there.

We rent the house my dad owns, and I grew up in, so since we don't own it, my wife said fck it, we'll just go get a hotel if we need to :lol: Apparently she doesn't want to pay for anything we can't take with us when we do buy a house lol

For the output that’s a really good buy. I don’t even pretend to know anything about electricity and luckily have a good friend that’s an electrician that helped me when I wanted the whole house one. I just got tired of swapping cords on all my freezers. I probably went overkill with mine but it does take a lot of the stress away of impending storms and the normal afternoon thundershowers here in north Florida.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
For the output that’s a really good buy. I don’t even pretend to know anything about electricity and luckily have a good friend that’s an electrician that helped me when I wanted the whole house one. I just got tired of swapping cords on all my freezers. I probably went overkill with mine but it does take a lot of the stress away of impending storms and the normal afternoon thundershowers here in north Florida.
Do you use propane from your 500g tank for any other appliances? Just curious because now I'm thinking if I have to put in a big ass tank I might go to a gas stove when I remodel the kitchen.Just wondering how far that goes when using other household appliances?

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Do you use propane from your 500g tank for any other appliances? Just curious because now I'm thinking if I have to put in a big ass tank I might go to a gas stove when I remodel the kitchen.Just wondering how far that goes when using other household appliances?

Yeah. We have gas hot water, cooktop, oven and pool heater.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

You cheap f vck….hook your Pops up by helping him improve the house :lol:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You cheap f vck….hook your Pops up by helping him improve the house :lol:
Already done that enough.
The thanks I got......higher rent :lol:

way lower than market rate though, so I'm not complaining too much lol

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks, does that 500g last a while?

We have a buried 200g tank. Like blacklab, it’s for a gas cooktop, tankless water heater, and to a direct stub out on the back patio for a propane grill. The guys come out and refill it every 3 months. We use roughly 10 gallons a month. Not like you have choice, but keep in mind for your usage calculations that they will only fill it to 80% capacity. Stupid.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And fittingly, I’m scheduled to have my transfer switch installed in a couple of weeks. I crunched all the numbers for the whole house, and it just wasnt worth it to me. Last year was a one week emergency mode and we got by with the portable Honda. My problem is we are on well water, which I couldn’t easily get power to. It can be done with a portable, but I am no electrician. Anyway, that’s my reason for needing the manual transfer switch.

There were 2 choices: a simple plug where everything is 100% manually managed by flipping breakers. That is $200. Or a nicer box, that basically looks like another panel that is more automatic (but still manual) for $500.

With any setup, the obvious problem is running out of fuel. Just dont get caught with your pants down.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
And fittingly, I’m scheduled to have my transfer switch installed in a couple of weeks. I crunched all the numbers for the whole house, and it just wasnt worth it to me. Last year was a one week emergency mode and we got by with the portable Honda. My problem is we are on well water, which I couldn’t easily get power to. It can be done with a portable, but I am no electrician. Anyway, that’s my reason for needing the manual transfer switch.

There were 2 choices: a simple plug where everything is 100% manually managed by flipping breakers. That is $200. Or a nicer box, that basically looks like another panel that is more automatic (but still manual) for $500.

With any setup, the obvious problem is running out of fuel. Just dont get caught with your pants down.

I was in the same boat with the well. My well and barn are on another service completely.
It wasn’t cheap but I went ahead and ran a new line from the house to the well.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks for the input guys.....You know the more I live in this house the more I envy guys like you, Blacklab and Brad, who actually got to build their houses. I just found out that there are 2 LP lines coming into this house for the fireplaces but the hookups are on the opposite side of the house from where the stand by gennie would have to go...not only that but we have 2 central AC units, one for each side of the house plus 2 water heaters....Not sure how all of that effects the wiring for the stand by gennie but if I went with just doing transfer switch and using a portable I'd have to do 2 because there are 2 electrical panels, one for each side of the house. I'd also want to have my pool pump available in the event of severe flooding because years ago when a new pool deck was installed the deck drains were covered....:headslap:. I'd also have to have the sump pump for the septic system wired in to keep things from backing up and flooding the front entrance to the house. As it is now I have to keep a pump and long hose at the ready whenever there is a storm approaching....

Basically I can't do anything here without opening up 2 or 3 more cans of worms due to someone else ignorance or improper planning...:banghead:

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Thanks for the input guys.....You know the more I live in this house the more I envy guys like you, Blacklab and Brad, who actually got to build their houses. I just found out that there are 2 LP lines coming into this house for the fireplaces but the hookups are on the opposite side of the house from where the stand by gennie would have to go...not only that but we have 2 central AC units, one for each side of the house plus 2 water heaters....Not sure how all of that effects the wiring for the stand by gennie but if I went with just doing transfer switch and using a portable I'd have to do 2 because there are 2 electrical panels, one for each side of the house. I'd also want to have my pool pump available in the event of severe flooding because years ago when a new pool deck was installed the deck drains were covered....:headslap:. I'd also have to have the sump pump for the septic system wired in to keep things from backing up and flooding the front entrance to the house. As it is now I have to keep a pump and long hose at the ready whenever there is a storm approaching....

Basically I can't do anything here without opening up 2 or 3 more cans of worms due to someone else ignorance or improper planning...:banghead:

Yikes..... I'll take a pic of my setup. I was lucky that all the electrical and gas comes into the house right where the stand by needed to go.
Could you keep the house somewhat cool with 1 AC running ?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I told you before to move west young man :grin:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Could you keep the house somewhat cool with 1 AC running ?
Now that I think about it if the transfer switch is located at the main power coming in it would power both interior breaker boxes anyway.....I would probably only run one AC unit at a time and then switch every couple of hours to lower consumption....Are you limited to any set number of circuits on your transfer switch like with a portable set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.