**** Georgia

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I found the story: And this is just PART of the reason why we despise them:
REASON #1: My dad was a 16-year-old freshman at the University of Florida in 1942, biding his time until he was 18 when he could sign up to join the Navy to fight the Germans and the Japanese. On most of the college campuses across the nation, the physically able athletes had already signed up to fight for their country in the weeks immediately after Pearl Harbor. Florida had gone 4-6 in 1941 but expectations were high that 1942 would be different thanks to season-closing wins over Miami and Georgia Tech and a close loss to UCLA. Those hopes and dreams went out the window with the unilateral declaration of war against Germany and Japan.
The most able bodied of Coach Thomas Lieb’s football team were already in the military when the 1942 season arrived. Most of Florida’s team was made up of young guys waiting their eighteenth birthdays or who couldn’t pass the physical.
That wasn’t the case at Georgia, which had one of the two or three best ROTC programs in the country. Georgia was already loaded when the war broke out. By the time the 1942 season began, Coach Wally Butts had a roster full of stars who were enrolled in the ROTC program, including All-Americans like Flatfoot Frankie Sinkwich (he won the Heisman that year), George Poschner and Charlie Trippi, who would go on to become one of the greatest college football players in history. There was also a freshman on that Georgia team who was enrolled in ROTC. His name was Gene Ellenson, who had two Silver Stars pinned on his chest by General Patton at the Battle of the Bulge. That's the same Gene Ellenson who became a Florida legend as Ray Graves' defensive coordinator.
When Georgia and Florida squared off in Jacksonville on November 7, the game was over by the first quarter and by halftime, it was total carnage. Butts could have called it off any time he wanted, but he kept pouring it on. Late in the fourth quarter Sinkwich and Trippi were still in the game pouring it on. The final score was 75-0. Georgia went on to win a national championship. Florida went 3-7 with wins over Randolph-Macon, Auburn and Villanova.
My dad went to his grave hating Georgia for the way Butts poured it on. I come about my hatred for the Bulldogs genetically.
REASON #2: Florida was picked to win the SEC and finish in the top five in the nation in the preseason in 1968 but Florida's bubble burst on a rainy afternoon in Chapel Hill when the Gators lost seven fumbles and fell to North Carolina, 22-7. From there the season was a downward spiral and by the Georgia game on November 7, the Gators were 4-2-1. What made things worse was a quarterback controversy that divided the team down the middle. Half the team supported Jackie Eckdahl and the other half Larry Rentz.
The week before the game Florida offensive genius Fred Pancoast, was hospitalized for an appendectomy. Needing to shake up his team, Graves decided to shake up the team by swapping coordinators --- Ed Kensler went to the defense and Gene Ellenson went to the defense. Maybe Graves thought things couldn’t get worse but they did.
On a cold, rainy, miserable day in Jacksonville (those of us who were there will NEVER forget how miserable that day was) ninth-ranked Georgia hammered the out of sorts Gators from the opening whistle. It was 42-0 and over by halftime but with seconds remaining in the fourth quarter Vince Dooley called time out and let his center, who hadn’t kicked since high school, kick a field goal to make the final score, 51-0.
If you never understood Steve Spurrier’s obsession with running it up on Georgia, that's it. Coach Ellenson, who was Spurrier’s close friend, called Spurrier in San Francisco (Spurrier was with the 49ers then) that night and told him what had happened. Those who know Spurrier know that he has a VERY long memory. Stevie Wonder never forgot how Dooley called time out to run up the score and because of that, he never felt any remorse about running up the score on Georgia.

There plenty of other reasons but WW2 was bad enough without uga using it to their advantage.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Great stories. Every football coach and player at UF should read these stories. I hope we absolutely crush the dawgs.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
This the way I feel also. Georgia sits alone at the top of my hate list. Not only do I remember 51-0, but going to all those the games in the 80's with the sinking feeling that we would never beat them again. Then SOS came along.

I had a business lunch meeting with a UGa fan in 1990. It was still too early to know what kind of impact Spurrier would have on the series, but sitting across from me, the UGa guy blurts out "gawd I hate Steve Spurrier." Maybe he already knew something that I didn't and that is one reason we Gators love Spurrier so much. He wiped that silly s*it eating grin off UGa's face.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Should begin every Monday with a fck Georgia thread. Just starts a week out right.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I was at the Jax Landing in 1990 surrounded by several Gator fans cheering when a UGA fan with short man complex yelled, "about time y'all won something." I yelled, "let me know when y'all win something."

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
My hate for UGAY is second to bUTtchug, but not by much. I too got this hate through genetics and my dad was born in the state of Georgia. I think I was like 9 or 10 and that would make my brother 7 or 8, but that was the first time that I went to a Florida/UGAY game. I believe that this was the last year that UGAY won the SEC/NC with Walker. My dad got like 100 Gator Bumper stickers and gave them to us, and told us to put them on all the cars that had UGAY bumper stickers. We went crazy with them. There was this one car that was decked out with UGAY stuff and we must have put like 10 bumper stickers on that car. Someone saw us doing this and called the police on us, the cop came up to us and saw that we had like 30 or so more bumper stickers left, and brought us to our dad. He went up to my dad and said don't let your kids do this anymore...but said good job to and **** UGAY! Good times!! Today we would have went to jail and had sensitivity training.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Maybe he already knew something that I didn't and that is one reason we Gators love Spurrier so much. He wiped that silly s*it eating grin off UGa's face.
AND THEN wiped gator sh#t all over it.........over and over and over again................

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
My deep-seated hatred of UGa is just one more reason I was so against Foley's hiring of Mushchump. Of all the possible coaches Foley could have hired to replace Meyer, he hired a Bulldog. WTF?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Can you visualize Georgia players & fans jumping in celebration while soldiers were sacrificing their
lives. Go Gators bury their jocks-holes in deep sacks.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I found the story: And this is just PART of the reason why we despise them:

There plenty of other reasons but WW2 was bad enough without uga using it to their advantage.
This. I hate Georgia. I was at the 1968 debacle (Freshman year) in the rain when Vince Dooley called a timeout to kick a field goal. I hate Georgia

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They are still my 2nd most hated rival behind FSU, but a close second. F8ck them dawgs

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If ever there were a grand moment for 812 to enter this thread, it's now.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Georgia-Bulldogs-memes51.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members