Gerard Warren: The worst recruiter in the country was Coach Spurrier

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
cool little video Batesy put together of a couple of players talking about Spurriers recruiting pitch to them

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Old school SOS.

Truly shocking, huh, that he had virtually zilch player disciplinary issues while the rap sheet on the uber-schmooze Bowden was a mile long.

You played for Spurrier because you WANTED to.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah he didnt give shyt. When you are destroying the SEC you dont have to beg.

Imagine the shtick at Cocky, everyone want to go to......... Myrtle Beach.....I guess..... right? You can just come now and live nearby. I guess.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ten years in one place is enough and yet he spent another 10 -- well, actually fewer but it seemed like an eternity -- in an SEC shythole.

I'm sometimes convinced Steve drew up his future plans like he did the plays, scrawling them in the dirt as he went.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine if he did have the same talent most years as FSU did. I saw some write-up that 95 and 96 we're the only years the talent level was about equal.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Old school SOS.

Truly shocking, huh, that he had virtually zilch player disciplinary issues while the rap sheet on the uber-schmooze Bowden was a mile long.

Well the players can say anything the want and feed into the Spurrier myth, but both of them signed with Spurrier. That is ultimately effective recruiting.

Also both of these guys were "local" so they did not need a lot of information about UF, Gainesville or the weather.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well the players can say anything the want and feed into the Spurrier myth, but both of them signed with Spurrier. That is ultimately effective recruiting.

Also both of these guys were "local" so they did not need a lot of information about UF, Gainesville or the weather.
Neither did the strong-armed kid from Bloomington, Indiana, the one who personally sold himself to Spurrier.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Old school SOS.

Spurrier would also cut you from the team in a heart beat if you acted a fool.

There was never a dull moment with him

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Funny stuff. I love all the Spurrier stories like this one and all of James Bates’ videos. The one about Daryl Bush not getting to wear his high school number always cracks me up.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What was he supposed to say? Fvkk Fooley?

I mailed a resume?

He is more loyal than he should have been.
You mixing Bacardi with your coffee this a.m.? That wasn't at all the point.

The point was that although he felt at the time it was time for a change of scene, it struck me as not well thought out, and it still strikes me that way. I'll bet even Spurrier regrets it in the rear-view mirror. I think he was frustrated and easily distracted by Snyder's money.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The point is whatever I want it to be.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Neither did the strong-armed kid from Bloomington, Indiana, the one who personally sold himself to Spurrier.

But lots of out of state highly ranked kids, Berlin, Hiliard, Badeaux, Green, K. Walker, Troup etc and many instate kids from other parts of Florida were provided information and convinced by UF, by Spurrier's offense, by the family atmosphere as described by Warren, Spurrier, others on the staff etc to come to UF during that time. And UF had tons of talent on those teams. Don't let anyone snow you with any myths.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
You mixing Bacardi with your coffee this a.m.? That wasn't at all the point.

The point was that although he felt at the time it was time for a change of scene, it struck me as not well thought out, and it still strikes me that way. I'll bet even Spurrier regrets it in the rear-view mirror. I think he was frustrated and easily distracted by Snyder's money.

I could be wrong but I bet the money meant little to nothing to him. After all he left a lot on the table because he was not meeting his expectations.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But lots of out of state highly ranked kids, Berlin, Hiliard, Badeaux, Green, K. Walker, Troup etc and many instate kids from other parts of Florida were provided information and convinced by UF, by Spurrier's offense, by the family atmosphere as described by Warren, Spurrier, others on the staff etc to come to UF during that time. And UF had tons of talent on those teams. Don't let anyone snow you with any myths.
I rather doubt there was any myth about Spurrier's ability to groom quarterbacks or the success the program had achieved under him by the time 1999 rolled around.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I could be wrong but I bet the money meant little to nothing to him. After all he left a lot on the table because he was not meeting his expectations.
The money meant way less to him than working for a horsetoothed cvvnt of an AD.

He just wasnt going to do it anymore.

HE WAS PISSED at the Earnest Graham thing and even more pissed at that cvvnt Fooley's refusal to back him up.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Ten years in one place is enough and yet he spent another 10 -- well, actually fewer but it seemed like an eternity -- in an SEC shythole.

I'm sometimes convinced Steve drew up his future plans like he did the plays, scrawling them in the dirt as he went.
My dad still considers him a traitor. I never did. Steve was his own soul, and even though he absolutely adores Florida, he wanted to go down his own path and never really looked back. He’s has a great life and career, and the path lead him back to Gainesville

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The money meant way less to him than working for a horsetoothed cvvnt of an AD.

He just wasnt going to do it anymore.

HE WAS PISSED at the Earnest Graham thing and even more pissed at that cvvnt Fooley's refusal to back him up.
There were so many accounts of what led to what. I tried to put myself in a helicopter above the situation in an attempt to sift through the clutter of thinking.

The program had lost some of its mojo after the '96 natty. You could just sense the frustration with his growing impatience over the quarterbacks. The alternating thing was no longer a novelty; it had become the way he managed the situation and, frankly, it was nuts. I really thought he had lost some of his coaching luster in 1998-99. I was actually worried about the guy. It seemed at times like he was going off the deep end.

He finally got the right assemblage of talent with Grossman, Gaffney and the rest of the 2001 roster, although I never felt Graham was an elite back and Hoke's scheme left a lot to be desired.

Nevertheless, Spurrier really liked that team, felt it was championship caliber. Then came the BS Dockett incident a week before the rescheduled Tennessee game for all the marbles. I really think the event coupled with the timing of it really sent him over the edge, a lot more than even he let on.

I was at the Tennessee game where we made their average back look like the second coming of Barry Sanders. The place was rocking like I've never heard it. It became dead silent when the game was over.

That was the only Spurrier loss at home I experienced in person, and I went to a lot of games back then. The end really felt like the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb