Gerard Warren: The worst recruiter in the country was Coach Spurrier

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I wish he had just gone to the UAA and said him or me.

Maybe he did or if he had would it have done any good? The failed search to replaced Lombardi hurt UF terribly in athletics and other aspects of the University for a long time. I am hoping this latest guy is the first decent leader at UF since Lombardi.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe he did or if he had would it have done any good? The failed search to replaced Lombardi hurt UF terribly in athletics and other aspects of the University for a long time. I am hoping this latest guy is the first decent leader at UF since Lombardi.
We were all ready to hire a big-name Ph.D from Morgantown when the UF plane landed at an airport near UWVa.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
What was he supposed to say? Fvkk Fooley?

I mailed a resume?

He is more loyal than he should have been.
He was loyal because UF was his school his entire post HS life. He was there before Jeremy and is there after Foley. That is not loyalty, that is in his blood.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
cool little video Batesy put together of a couple of players talking about Spurriers recruiting pitch to them

GREAT video, slevin. SOS "I never lost a game in HS." game over...........SOS was all state in all three sports............

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A big name PHD from Morganhole?

Oxymoron at its finest.
b5ff6f57e03818ca51f4b77ede7fd475.jpg

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
A. The program had lost some of its mojo after the '96 natty.

B. You could just sense the frustration with his growing impatience over the quarterbacks. The alternating thing was no longer a novelty; it had become the way he managed the situation and, frankly, it was nuts. I really thought he had lost some of his coaching luster in 1998-99. I was actually worried about the guy. It seemed at times like he was going off the deep end.

C. although I never felt Graham was an elite back

D. Then came the BS Dockett incident a week before the rescheduled Tennessee game for all the marbles.

E. I was at the Tennessee game ...That was the only Spurrier loss at home I experienced in person, and I went to a lot of games back then. The end really felt like the end.

I really should leave this alone as I am too busy today, but there is just too much Stalinist type revisionist history in it for me not to unpack it. Clearly I added the letters so I could key my responses to them.

A. UF won 49 games the five season post 1996. UF won 52 games the 5 seasons pre-1996. Really the peak of the Spurrier year were 1995-1996 when UF went 24-2. So pre-1995 UF won 49 games so, the program if fact did not decline in record post the 1995-96 peak. UF did fall off from winning the East every possible year and the SEC four of the five years pre-1995 to winning the SEC only once and the SEC East only twice post 1996. Still a program winning 49 games in 5 years is not one that lost its mojo.

B. This revisionist history makes one wonder if you spent these years watching the noles with Omar. Spurrier rotated QBs one time in his UF tenure. His soph QB was suspended after a loss. He had to go with a true frosh who was not ready and a limited walk on. He rotated them some and then rotated a bit more when his Soph QB came back from suspension. Actually Gator fans who watched games back then know that Shane Matthews played almost every down Spurrier's first 3 seasons. They know that for two seasons Dean and Wuerffel battled for the QB job but did NOT rotate the position. They know that for the next two seasons Wuerffel played all but mop up duty and one game against a scheduled win that was given to Kresser. They know that after that came the one year of rotating Palmer and Brindise and even Johnson when he came back after suspension. They know that then Johnson played three years with Palmer playing when he was hurt as in bowl games. Then Grossman played the next three years and Spurrier left. Yes backups played mop up duty if the starter was experienced. But NO Spurrier did not rotate QB for novelty, but rather by necessity at UF. Gee!

C. Go to twitter if you want to tell people your FEELING. There are lots of snowflakes there with their feelings on their arms. Graham was like Fred Taylor and maybe as we have discussed this week like Scarlett more of an NFL type back than a college back. You don't play in the NFL for 8 years if you are not a good back. What elite means vis-a-vis your feelings who knows or cares. Of course your feelings AGAINST UF players does make one wonder more if you are an Omar sock puppet.

D. The Docket incident and UF NOT standing behind Spurrier is the key to this situation. Spurrier made a living at this sport. He understood the idea that you don't want to hurt people in this game, you want everyone to come out whole though you know it won't happen. One of Spurrier tenets was Gators don't hurt Gators. He did not accept foolish fighting in practice that some coaches take as evidence of spirit. He viewed it as foolish.

E. See point D above. Spurrier made his stand and UF did not back him. He is not some kind of quitter like you make him out to be who left because of a loss. He left because UF did not stand behind him. He was a man a decade or two ahead of the game. Today standing against someone trying to intentionally hurt an opponent in this game would get him tons of deserved praise. All it got him then was two terrible decision makers, Foley and Young, making the terrible decision not to back a visionary employee of the University.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lot of interesting discussion, particularly during the latter part of SOS' tenure. Not saying this is gospel by any means, but I always wonder if coaching Doug Johnson didn't take its toll on the HBC. A supremely physically gifted QB who had a .02 brain and little self control or moral compass. He had to have been a frustrating athlete to coach, particularly on the heels of Shane and Danny. Never seemed to conform as much as needed to what SOS wanted from him as a QB and a LEADER. Players like this can suck the life out of a coach, but SOS bears much of the responsibility. I also always thought that if he had Doug at the beginning of his career at UF, he might likely have put him on the road. He was a little different coach later on even if was hard to see sometimes. Doug still should get credit for the '97 F$U game performance and the pass to Jaquez will always be among the greatest.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I really should leave this alone as I am too busy today, but there is just too much Stalinist type revisionist history in it for me not to unpack it. Clearly I added the letters so I could key my responses to them.

A. UF won 49 games the five season post 1996. UF won 52 games the 5 seasons pre-1996. Really the peak of the Spurrier year were 1995-1996 when UF went 24-2. So pre-1995 UF won 49 games so, the program if fact did not decline in record post the 1995-96 peak. UF did fall off from winning the East every possible year and the SEC four of the five years pre-1995 to winning the SEC only once and the SEC East only twice post 1996. Still a program winning 49 games in 5 years is not one that lost its mojo.

B. This revisionist history makes one wonder if you spent these years watching the noles with Omar. Spurrier rotated QBs one time in his UF tenure. His soph QB was suspended after a loss. He had to go with a true frosh who was not ready and a limited walk on. He rotated them some and then rotated a bit more when his Soph QB came back from suspension. Actually Gator fans who watched games back then know that Shane Matthews played almost every down Spurrier's first 3 seasons. They know that for two seasons Dean and Wuerffel battled for the QB job but did NOT rotate the position. They know that for the next two seasons Wuerffel played all but mop up duty and one game against a scheduled win that was given to Kresser. They know that after that came the one year of rotating Palmer and Brindise and even Johnson when he came back after suspension. They know that then Johnson played three years with Palmer playing when he was hurt as in bowl games. Then Grossman played the next three years and Spurrier left. Yes backups played mop up duty if the starter was experienced. But NO Spurrier did not rotate QB for novelty, but rather by necessity at UF. Gee!

C. Go to twitter if you want to tell people your FEELING. There are lots of snowflakes there with their feelings on their arms. Graham was like Fred Taylor and maybe as we have discussed this week like Scarlett more of an NFL type back than a college back. You don't play in the NFL for 8 years if you are not a good back. What elite means vis-a-vis your feelings who knows or cares. Of course your feelings AGAINST UF players does make one wonder more if you are an Omar sock puppet.

D. The Docket incident and UF NOT standing behind Spurrier is the key to this situation. Spurrier made a living at this sport. He understood the idea that you don't want to hurt people in this game, you want everyone to come out whole though you know it won't happen. One of Spurrier tenets was Gators don't hurt Gators. He did not accept foolish fighting in practice that some coaches take as evidence of spirit. He viewed it as foolish.

E. See point D above. Spurrier made his stand and UF did not back him. He is not some kind of quitter like you make him out to be who left because of a loss. He left because UF did not stand behind him. He was a man a decade or two ahead of the game. Today standing against someone trying to intentionally hurt an opponent in this game would get him tons of deserved praise. All it got him then was two terrible decision makers, Foley and Young, making the terrible decision not to back a visionary employee of the University.
You call my view Communist and proceed to characterize Spurrier's UF career by a pair of five-year plans. I'm feel like a capitalist after reading your post.

I really need to back up my claim that we lost some of our mojo? We went from 10-2 in '98 to 9-4 the following year. We won consecutive SEC titles from 1994 through 1996. We had no back-to-backs after that. The offense from after Wuerffel left to when Grossman arrived was often inconsistent.

Operative word: some. And, BTW, you've distorted my take more than some.

Spurrier often changed QBs from one possession to another after 1997, sometimes DURING the possession. Go look it up if you need to. I know what I saw. Apparently you don't.

Earnest Graham was not like Fred Taylor, but you go, boy.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
A. You call my view Communist and proceed to characterize Spurrier's UF career by a pair of five-year plans. I'm feel like a capitalist after reading your post.

B. The offense from after Wuerffel left to when Grossman arrived was often inconsistent.

C. Earnest Graham was not like Fred Taylor, but you go, boy.

A. Plans the future, looking back at two five year periods is looking at history that happened to be five years on either side of the Spurrier peak. You could look it up. BTW, I said Stalinist not communist, because Stalin was big on rewriting history and saying I saw what I saw.

B. So you are saying the offense was not quite as good from the time a Heisman winner left until the time a Heisman runner up showed up? Most would take that inconsistent offense today and most of UF history.

C. Graham 3085 yards in four years for UF. Taylor 3075 yards in four years at UF.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Steve put the full court press on the recruit Gerard "Big Money" Warren. Went with him to a UF basketball game.
Showed him around campus. Gerard was conflicted between FSU and UF. Changed his mind almost on a daily
basis. The day before National Signing Day, his dad told him, "you must decide". That night, Gerard decided that which ever school the thought of first when he woke up in the morning, that would be his choice. That school would be UF. Recapping the signing class, Steve stated that "Warren was the key for us". "Big Money" had a solid 3 year career for the gators before declaring early for the NFL.
The play I remember most involving Gerard was the 1998 game at FSU. The noles were forced to play the backup qb Marcus Outzen, who showed early game jitters, fumbled the ball which bounced into the FSU end zone and was apparently recovered by Warren. But a FSU player crashed into Gerard and dislodged it from his grip. (Or so said the refs) So the play was ruled a safety rather than a touchdown. The ensuing free kick resulted in an additional 3 points when the gators settled for a field goal. But the whole tenor of the game had shifted in favor of FSU. The noles regrouped, Peter Warwick put on a show, and the Spurrier's drought at FSU continued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator