Getting back to 85 scholarships

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One of the biggest issues over the past 6 years has been a lack of depth driven largely by Chump's disastrous roster management and Mac's inability to fix it quickly.

Rivals posts a full breakdown of our scholarship situation, but it hasn't been updated since September:

https://florida.rivals.com/news/unofficial-scholarship-breakdown-29

According to their counts, we were 7 scholarships under the limit this year not including the 4 walk-ons who have been awarded scholarships.

This year we'll have 8 seniors leaving, at least 6 juniors (Tabor, Wilson, Sharpe, Dillard, Brantley, and Anzalone), and at least 1 sophomore (Cronkrite).

Assuming we don't renew the nonguaranteed scholarships of the 3 remaining walk-ons (Herndon is a senior) and we don't have any more early departures, we would need to sign 25 players in this class to get back to 85. With a current recruiting class of 15, I'm not sure we get there.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One of the biggest issues over the past 6 years has been a lack of depth driven largely by Chump's disastrous roster management and Mac's inability to fix it quickly.

Rivals posts a full breakdown of our scholarship situation, but it hasn't been updated since September:

According to their counts, we were 7 scholarships under the limit this year not including the 4 walk-ons who have been awarded scholarships.

This year we'll have 8 seniors leaving, at least 6 juniors (Tabor, Wilson, Sharpe, Dillard, Brantley, and Anzalone), and at least 1 sophomore (Cronkrite).

Assuming we don't renew the nonguaranteed scholarships of the 3 remaining walk-ons (Herndon is a senior) and we don't have any more early departures, we would need to sign 25 players in this class to get back to 85. With a current recruiting class of 15, I'm not sure we get there.
I'm sure we'll have a couple departures by the time spring ends. We need to fill the 25 spots and that would leave a couple spots in case we get a couple good surprises.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm sure we'll have a couple departures by the time spring ends. We need to fill the 25 spots and that would leave a couple spots in case we get a couple good surprises.

Absolutely. We'll lose at least 2-5 more players on the current roster for one reason or another.

The last few years we've undersigned....and the excuse was that we were waiting on a bigger class the next year (when will that year finally come?). We should have added a couple of Plan B's in the last class (especially at DT)...but we didn't. We should also add a Plan B or two in this class (will we?).

We have a few kids that need the Bama treatment as well (i.e. asked to move on); such as Andrew Mike & Moral Stephens (and maybe a WR or two). So we could easily bring in 27-30 and STILL be under 85. I just don't think there's 27-30 worthwhile kids that want to play here.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't think there's 27-30 worthwhile kids that want to play here.
I think this is the big problem right now. Even if we push out the dead weight, we don't have anything to replace it with.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I think this is the big problem right now. Even if we push out the dead weight, we don't have anything to replace it with.
Kids just don't want to play at UF or for Mac. Think about it if 90% of our fans think the guy is a joke you don't think the players in HS don't think the sane way, top that with the fact that he's an awful recruiter you get what has happened over the past 3 cycles.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think you guys are missing the point with the smaller roster.

This is not due to coaching/recruiting incompetence, it was a brilliant cost cutting strategy executed by Jeremy Kmart. Holding 5-10 schollies open each year enabled us to pay the asst. women's lacrosse coach top dollar.
You guys need to see the big picture like Mr. Kmart did.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Think about it if 90% of our fans think the guy is a joke you don't think the players in HS don't think the sane way

90% of our fans don't think he's a joke. Only a certain % of the message board know-it-alls think that. I don't know if HS players think the sane way or not. Given recent news events, I'd say they're not too sane at all.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
If we sign 25 we are back to 85? You can't have more than 85 on scholarship so we couldn't sign more than 25 if we wanted. Not that we have that problem since we will be lucky to get to 23.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If we sign 25 we are back to 85? You can't have more than 85 on scholarship so we couldn't sign more than 25 if we wanted. Not that we have that problem since we will be lucky to get to 23.

Have to be at 85 by the fall. There's always attrition.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
So if we sign 25 and a lot of them are 3 stars will those critical posters be happy or mad? Now I won't claim to understand recruits but you can't force them to sign, you can't bribe them either.

What the solution is nobody knows, other than hiring say Saban which is impossible.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So if I'm to understand this correctly we are pretty much in the same shape we've been in for 10 years. Which is just under 85.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
I have always wondered why Muschamp and Mac have not signed more. I believe there is an SEC limit of like 28?? I would fill in all the 3 Stars I could find just for depth.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
For what it's worth, going back a few years this is what we've signed compared to bama:

Year … UF.. AL
2005… 18….31
2006… 27… 23
2007… 27… 25
2008… 22… 32
2009… 17… 27
2010… 27… 26
2011… 19… 23
2012… 22… 26
2013… 29… 25
2014… 24… 25
2015… 21… 26
2016… 23… 25

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Good analysis, though I like to think in terms of getting to 82 to 85 actual signees. Still some walkon scholarship players such as some kicker and others like Doering who developed into an outstanding player should be part of that 82 to 85 players on the roster.

If you are right and by saying UF was 7 under the limit not counting walkon award scholarship you mean UF was 3 under the limit last year, but 4 of those players were walks, I see no reason UF should not sign a class around 25 and be in that 82 to 85 window you want for your roster.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
To be fair we haven't been at 85 since 2 years before Urban left.

Spurrier and Meyer usually a bit under the limit, but I concer with the those with recruiting concerns about dropping below 80. Back in the day I called that the Zook probation

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you are right and by saying UF was 7 under the limit not counting walkon award scholarship you mean UF was 3 under the limit last year, but 4 of those players were walks, I see no reason UF should not sign a class around 25 and be in that 82 to 85 window you want for your roster.
What I meant is that we are 11 under if you count the walk-ons who were awarded single year non guaranteed scholarships with the other walk-ons not on scholarship.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I see no reason UF should not sign a class around 25 and be in that 82 to 85 window you want for your roster.
I don't want to be in the 82 to 85 window. I want to be in the 90 to 95 window and be able to encounter some malingerers, malcontents, misdemeanants, or other undesirables to seek other arrangements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator