Give Emmitt a statue

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I like Emmitt, but if he had washed out of the NFL like Rhett or Fason no one would be talking about giving him a statue here.

He didn't even stay for his senior season. The ROH is more than enough.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rhett had a pretty good thing going in Tampa Bay until he decided to hold out for a big pay day. It was all downhill from there.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You ever wonder why the Baseball Hall seems like a bigger deal than the Pro Football Hall? It's because almost everyone who's anyone makes it to Canton. It's a real bytch to get into Cooperstown.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You ever wonder why the Baseball Hall seems like a bigger deal than the Pro Football Hall? It's because almost everyone who's anyone makes it to Canton. It's a real bytch to get into Cooperstown.
Baseball in general values its history more than any other professional sport.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Baseball in general values its history more than any other professional sport.
True, although MLB has been known more than a few times to toe the line of hypocriticalness.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
It's a shame Galen Hall was such a crappy recruiter and we were unable to assemble all the pieces around #22. He was the most talented collegiate running back my eyes ever laid on, Herschel and Bo notwithstanding.

Wasn’t he operating under scholarship restrictions? That might’ve had a minor impact.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Time has come for U.F. to change its rules and give one of the Greatest Gator that ever lived a Statue in front of the Stadium.
What he has done in football is unmatched by any Gator and to give him a statue would go far in creating some racial diversity for all fans and recruits to see when they visit the Stadium.

He was a great player...but specifically what did he do at UF that warrants him having his statute outside the stadium?

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
He had more than enough talent to dominate the SEC, he just didnt know how. You cant run the ball 50 times against defenses built to stop a team that runs between tackles.

After Bell graduated, remind me who was the All-World QB throwing as many INTs as TDs? I don’t think Hall had a choice.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn’t he operating under scholarship restrictions? That might’ve had a minor impact.
Good point. Probably more than minor impact. I still wonder why he couldn't recruit a decent successor to Bell.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
He had more than enough talent to dominate the SEC, he just didnt know how. You cant run the ball 50 times against defenses built to stop a team that runs between tackles.

After Bell graduated, remind me who was the All-World QB throwing as many INTs as TDs? I don’t think Hall had a choice.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It took Rhett almost 4 years to surpass Emmitt’s 3 year stats.
Maybe Emmitt should have stuck around another year then. Emmitt also played 36 more games than Payton in his NFL career but the record is still his. If Barry Sanders had played as long as Emmitt, he'd have rushed for over 20,000 yards. Records are records, regardless of the amount of time played.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What Barry Sanders did, walking away from the game at the height of his career, well on his way to setting various NFL rushing marks, was akin to what Jim Brown and Sandy Koufax did. It puts him in special company.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Emmit is a highschool, college and pro football legend maybe the greastest football player ever. I'll listen to the Jim Brown arguments, but you can GTFO with the Barry Sanders talk. I could go on all day on why we should do this, but I can see it is useless here.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Emmit is a highschool, college and pro football legend maybe the greastest football player ever. I'll listen to the Jim Brown arguments, but you can GTFO with the Barry Sanders talk. I could go on all day on why we should do this, but I can see it is useless here.
Sanders would have put the all-time mark out of sight. He was on a faster track than Emmitt when he retired.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Sanders would have put the all-time mark out of sight. He was on a faster track than Emmitt when he retired.
Runningb back is the one position that you can lose that one step or that little wiggle that made you successful over one years time. Emmits greatest attributes vision, instinct and determination allowed him set the records he did.
I have one lasting memory of Sanders, the lions hadn't made the playoffs in years but finally had the chance with a win over I believe Tampa bay, needing a touchdown they drove inside the 30 with time running out And facing a 4th and 2. They hand the ball to Sanders on a sweep to the right side and when it wasn't wide open he reversed field and lost ten yards, game over. The one time if could have just forgot about the homerun and just put his shoulder down for the good of the team he couldn't do it.
Gifted yes, but the GOAT not even close.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Runningb back is the one position that you can lose that one step or that little wiggle that made you successful over one years time. Emmits greatest attributes vision, instinct and determination allowed him set the records he did.
I have one lasting memory of Sanders, the lions hadn't made the playoffs in years but finally had the chance with a win over I believe Tampa bay, needing a touchdown they drove inside the 30 with time running out And facing a 4th and 2. They hand the ball to Sanders on a sweep to the right side and when it wasn't wide open he reversed field and lost ten yards, game over. The one time if could have just forgot about the homerun and just put his shoulder down for the good of the team he couldn't do it.
Gifted yes, but the GOAT not even close.
I'm maybe one of the few who doesn't automatically equate GOAT with most rushing yards or who takes more into consideration how he got there.

For much of his career, Smith ran behind the best offensive line in the game.

For much of his career, Payton ran behind one off the worst lines in the NFL.

Payton was one helluva receiving back, could throw the running back option better than anyone else, was unparalleled as a blocking back.

Payton is, was, will always be my GOAT back. Because he could do it all.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I can respect your opinion, but I will point out that Neil Anderson did fairly well behind that line while Peyton was still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb