Give Emmitt a statue

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can respect your opinion, but I will point out that Neil Anderson did fairly well behind that line while Peyton was still there.
By 1984 the Bears were a much improved team, including an OL anchored by Jay Hilgenberg, Jimbo Covert and Mark Bortz. That was Payton's ninth year in the league and the year he surpassed Jim Brown as the career leader in rushing. He was 29 and a shoe for the HOF.

Point being, he was already on the backside of his career when the Bears' blocking became good.

The Cowboys were stacked when Emmitt landed in the Big D.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I haven't read through the big pissing contest....but, if you ever go to where the statues are, there are plaques underneath of several UF All-Americans and Emmitt is one of them.

I was there about 8 years ago in the summer and some 20-something kids were taking pictures and one kid (while wearing UF gear) was looking at the plaques and says, "Wow. I didn't know Emmitt Smith was a Gator!" I looked at him like "WTF?"

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
By 1984 the Bears were a much improved team, including an OL anchored by Jay Hilgenberg, Jimbo Covert and Mark Bortz. That was Payton's ninth year in the league and the year he surpassed Jim Brown as the career leader in rushing. He was 29 and a shoe for the HOF.

Point being, he was already on the backside of his career when the Bears' blocking became good.

The Cowboys were stacked when Emmitt landed in the Big D.
So I guess it's all true, Emmitt is just a plodder that will never make it in the league.
If you don't mind I'm still going to give Neil and Emmitt a little credit for helping their teams win the superbowl.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So I guess it's all true, Emmitt is just a plodder that will never make it in the league.
If you don't mind I'm still going to give Neil and Emmitt a little credit for helping their teams win the superbowl.
That wasn't at all my message. He was a great back. That's indisputable. I don't personally believe he was the best back. I gave my reasons why I feel Payton was an even better back. That's certainly no dis of Emmitt. It's but one man's opinion.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't read through the big pissing contest....but, if you ever go to where the statues are, there are plaques underneath of several UF All-Americans and Emmitt is one of them.

I was there about 8 years ago in the summer and some 20-something kids were taking pictures and one kid (while wearing UF gear) was looking at the plaques and says, "Wow. I didn't know Emmitt Smith was a Gator!" I looked at him like "WTF?"
That tells you how much his pro career dwarfed his college career, which is saying a lot.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Mybe
6_E8_DB252-3823-4273-908_F-_ADAB36_E45_E8_F.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Where in the hell is RiverRat? He started this thread and left me to the wolves.
Maybe if he hd a statue this kind of chit wouldn't happen

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Maybe Emmitt should have stuck around another year then. Emmitt also played 36 more games than Payton in his NFL career but the record is still his. If Barry Sanders had played as long as Emmitt, he'd have rushed for over 20,000 yards. Records are records, regardless of the amount of time played.

No arguments here. Just providing context.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014

No pissing contest here, just spirited debate on a subject I'm passionate about.
I think I better stop now before 78 turns it up a notch and really makes me look bad.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No pissing contest here, just spirited debate on a subject I'm passionate about.
I think I better stop now before 78 turns it up a notch and really makes me look bad.

Well, I think this debate ended when sasquatch mentioned that Emmitt isn't even the leading rusher in UF's record books.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Im back thick and thin, these guys are missing my point. Which is Emmitt is the greatest football player to ever wear a Gator uniform, so what if most of his glory was in the NFL. Young black kids visiting the UF would probably feel good about seeing a statue of Emmitt , as I said some racial diversity , it could be in his Cowboys uniform who cares.
He came to UF in the darkest of times and gave his all for three years, so he left early ask C. Ingramn about coming back for one more year.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, you're fun to debate. I'd like to add that Emmitt is probably the most gifted runner of the career leaders. Brown was more powerful, Payton was more versatile and Dickerson was faster. No one was better at finding a hole that didn't exist and busting it loose for 12 yards. His burst was amazing as was his patience in sizing up the line behind his blockers. Boom, he was 10 yards downfield just like that.

I'll tell you another runner I loved to watch. Sayers. His open-field moves were simply jaw dropping. Too long ago for many of the posters here.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I like Emmitt, but if he had washed out of the NFL like Rhett or Fason no one would be talking about giving him a statue here.

He didn't even stay for his senior season. The ROH is more than enough.
But he didn't and I stand by my statement that he is the best foot ball player to ever wear a Gator uniform and having him play a more active role with the UF would be a positive.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm maybe one of the few who doesn't automatically equate GOAT with most rushing yards or who takes more into consideration how he got there.

For much of his career, Smith ran behind the best offensive line in the game.

For much of his career, Payton ran behind one off the worst lines in the NFL.

Payton was one helluva receiving back, could throw the running back option better than anyone else, was unparalleled as a blocking back.

Payton is, was, will always be my GOAT back. Because he could do it all.

Sweetness. Loved that guy.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Why the f*ck does everything have to be about race? My God. We have 3 statues. They all won the Heisman. They all happen to be white. It’s not like we have other white, non-Heisman winning, statues.
Like it or not Young black men need roll models that are black if you don't understand that you probably voted forTrump. Im just saying it would be a positive in recruiting, and since 75 percent of our player are black I can't see and negative in having more visible black role models.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, you're fun to debate. I'd like to add that Emmitt is probably the most gifted runner of the career leaders. Brown was more powerful, Payton was more versatile and Dickerson was faster. No one was better at finding a hole that didn't exist and busting it loose for 12 yards. His burst was amazing as was his patience in sizing up the line behind his blockers. Boom, he was 10 yards downfield just like that.

I'll tell you another runner I loved to watch. Sayers. His open-field moves were simply jaw dropping. Too long ago for many of the posters here.

Your Chicago roots are showing, but Sayers was pretty awesome too.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Like it or not Young black men need roll models that are black if you don't understand that you probably voted forTrump. Im just saying it would be a positive in recruiting, and since 75 percent of our player are black I can't see and negative in having more visible black role models.
Gonna get some kick back with this talk. But I agree with you and with ThckANDthn.
I saw every game Emmitt played in the Swamp (before it was called that). It was a dark time coming out of probation. We were fckn hammered by the NCAA for doing nothing different than the rest of the league but Fla was a real threat with our location and the talent down here. Emmitt was the kind of player that had you on the edge of your seat on every damn play. YOU never knew when something amazing might happen. Maravich was like that in basketball. Emmitt plays one more year and under SOS his career record rushing leads UF forever and probably the SEC too. A guy named Emmfinger (recruiting guru) said Emmitt would never be much cause he was a plodder. Emmitt came out of HS with the #2 career rushing total for the world. Vision and balance and power along with being full speed after one step made him absolutely amazing. I swear he would take hits from tacklers to his advantage and use it go gain momentum forward. He had something I never saw in a college back. Not the fastest or most deceptive but deceptive in a sneaky way. And last he was very durable. He took lots of hits but for his size stayed healthy. Under SOS he averages almost 10 yds a carry. Every team knew he was coming and he still made amazing runs. WIth the SOS offense they would have no chance. I always wished I coulda seen him in that offense for a year. Emmitt should be in the same breath as Danny and Timmy and even Steve. I vote statue. I saw what he could do and it was incredible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator