Give Emmitt a statue

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Like it or not Young black men need roll models that are black if you don't understand that you probably voted forTrump. Im just saying it would be a positive in recruiting, and since 75 percent of our player are black I can't see and negative in having more visible black role models.
What next...erecting statutes for transgenders. Don’t they need role models, too? :facepalm:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Like it or not Young black men need roll models that are black if you don't understand that you probably voted forTrump. Im just saying it would be a positive in recruiting, and since 75 percent of our player are black I can't see and negative in having more visible black role models.
Great, go get a role model. Perhaps have more black men act as role models. How about more black men stick around to raise their kids? Be a father figure? It’s a poor argument for this topic.

By the way, I’m black, I raise my kids and I’m a role model for them. And yes, I voted for Trump.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Lol, you're fun to debate. I'd like to add that Emmitt is probably the most gifted runner of the career leaders. Brown was more powerful, Payton was more versatile and Dickerson was faster. No one was better at finding a hole that didn't exist and busting it loose for 12 yards. His burst was amazing as was his patience in sizing up the line behind his blockers. Boom, he was 10 yards downfield just like that.

I'll tell you another runner I loved to watch. Sayers. His open-field moves were simply jaw dropping. Too long ago for many of the posters here.
This brings up something that has puzzled me my whole life. I can remember watching Unitas and Namath play like it was yesterday, but can't remember watching Sayers make a single carry, despite the fact they played at the same time. I was 7-10 years old during that time but I'm disappointed I didn't see him with my own eyes.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This brings up something that has puzzled me my whole life. I can remember watching Unitas and Namath play like it was yesterday, but can't remember watching Sayers make a single carry, despite the fact they played at the same time. I was 7-10 years old during that time but I'm disappointed I didn't see him with my own eyes.
Gale had the horrible injury and even though we got the Bears down here I dont remember seeing him much either and I think Im older than you. His knee was destroyed and pretty much ended his short but amazing play. he reminds me of OJ and his speed and moves

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I guess when 75% of our team is transgenders maybe we can talk about it..........
The point is, honoring our football players shouldn’t be about race, sexual orientation, etc.. It should be about their accomplishments on the field. Emmitt was awesome at UF, but he’s not even our all-time leading rusher and won exactly zero titles. Why should he be honored with a statue alongside 3 Heisman Trophy winners that all won NCs at UF? Because of what he did in the NFL? Let the Cowboys erect a statue.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
While we are at it here was a GREAT Bear RB and an amazing gator player
Former Chicago Bear Rick Casares

(Steve Nesius / Associated Press)
Ranks fourth on the team rushing list behind Payton, Forte and Anderson. His 49 touchdowns are third behind Payton and Anderson. Led the team in rushing six years in a row, including a league-leading 1,126 yards in 1956 when the Bears won the Western Conference title before losing the championship game to the Giants.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sayers' career was one of those blink of the eyes kind of things. Officially he played six seasons but he wasn't the same player over the final three after tearing almost every ligament in his right knee against the 49ers in a '68 game at Wrigley that I attended with my dad.

He had rushed for over 200 the week before against Green Bay and was on pace for his best season when Kermit Alexanded submarined a blocker and stuck his helmet to Sayers' knee on a sweep left. The place went dead silent when they carried him off the field.

Think about it. Sayers qualified for the HOF on essentially 50 games. Unheard of.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Great, go get a role model. Perhaps have more black men act as role models. How about more black men stick around to raise their kids? Be a father figure? It’s a poor argument for this topic.

By the way, I’m black, I raise my kids and I’m a role model for them. And yes, I voted for Trump.
You must be the Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sayers and Payton were great, but there's not an RB in history that touches Barry Sanders. Man voluntarily gave up his career when he was at his best because he was sick of running behind a sh*t line and having no support. Would have broken every record there is to break, and probably more, if he had stuck around even 3-4 more years.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sayers and Payton were great, but there's not an RB in history that touches Barry Sanders. Man voluntarily gave up his career when he was at his best because he was sick of running behind a sh*t line and having no support. Would have broken every record there is to break, and probably more, if he had stuck around even 3-4 more years.
I have no doubt you are right. The guy was unstoppable. He embarrassed opposing defenses with his shiftiness and assorted juke moves. He was lightning quick.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
He quit. Emmitt didnt quit. He kept playing. (btw, Sanders was smart. He may have saved his life or at least the quality of it as he aged)

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
See post #58, I don't like quoting myself.
Also free agency started in 93 he retired in 99.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Did you see that play against Buffalo? Holy crap. He's got four Bills players on him in the backfield and he's spun to the ground and he somehow avoids touching a knee and turns a for-sure loss into a big gain.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yards aren't everything. Barry Sanders isn't even in the Top 5 of backs I would want to play for me in a big game. Those are the backs you want to consistently move the chains and if you get a lead, wear down the defense. Barry Sanders led the NFL in carries for losses every single year. I'd take backs like Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith in a game like that every time over Sanders.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yards aren't everything. Barry Sanders isn't even in the Top 5 of backs I would want to play for me in a big game. Those are the backs you want to consistently move the chains and if you get a lead, wear down the defense. Barry Sanders led the NFL in carries for losses every single year. I'd take backs like Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith in a game like that every time over Sanders.
The only guy you can compare him to is Payton because they both ran behind crap lines. Sanders never saw a broken-down play he didn't think he could fix with his feet. Walter was a bit more practical-minded.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The only guy you can compare him to is Payton because they both ran behind crap lines. Sanders never saw a broken-down play he didn't think he could fix with his feet. Walter was a bit more practical-minded.
Sometimes picking up the tough yards up the middle is the best thing to win. That wasn't Sanders' style. The Cowboys were far better off with Smith than Sanders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.