Golf advice

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Looks like I may re-enter the golf world after not playing for about 10 years.
Sold my clubs years ago and now I'm looking at a new set.

Couple of questions:
1. Is there a store better than most (e.g. GolfSmith, Edwin Watts, Golf Galaxy, etc.)?
2. Looking for a moderately priced package set for around 300-400 to get started
3. Is there a brand to look for or stay away from? I've seen some sets by SDF-Snake Eyes, Wilson, MacGregor, Strata and Tour Edge.
4. I don't know if these sets include a putter so any thoughts on a decent one is appreciated as well.

thanks!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Most golf shops have used sets. Unless you're putting dime-sized wear marks in the center of the face, get a forgiving cavity back club. IMO, forget about swinging an iron with a number bigger than a 5 on the bottom, get hybrid long clubs instead. Best money you can spend is video lessons from someone who knows their stuff. Most golfers throw 18 strokes on the card before they even start their backswing simply due to poor stance, grip, etc.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My advice is to take up fishing. Even a bad day fishing is still spent on the water and much more relaxing than golf.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
My advice is to take up fishing. Even a bad day fishing is still spent on the water and much more relaxing than golf.

man...no kidding
I have never been frustrated when fishing as much as I have been trying to whack that damn ball around.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mizunos JPX 825s are what I settled on after a lot of research and practice. Oh, and get graphite. Easier on the back. I agree, start with a good set of used clubs from a store. Can't go wrong till you're ready to spend the money.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pointless getting custom fit until you have a repeatable swing.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Those custom fits clubs from gigagolf will be cheaper than a set of decent used clubs. Used clubs older than a couple of years are old technology. You'll probably have to regrip them anyway. Absolutely zero warranty. You cant return them. And lets be real... who here as a repeatable swing?

Heavy has the best advice and spend a little time/money with a coach after you buy something.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
So I found a place near my office called Golfdom.
I'll head over later this week and see what's up. Friend of mine got fitted there and said they'll work with you on a set. Apparently they employ some type of swing Doctor there too.

Thanks dudes

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've managed to get rid of my slice almost completely. My problem now is just figuring out my irons. Some I'm okay with, others I tend to top the ball almost everytime, so I'm left not really knowing which iron to use and when.
Next trip to the driving range might be an all iron day.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
#1- Respect pin placements.

Sounds like a basic premise. Many times on a far right or far left pin over water you will see players just go for it . Many times ending
up in the drink or bunker. Just aim for the center of the green. You'll have a better chance at birdie from 30 than you do from a hazard.

#2- Don't be a hero.

Maybe it's the first hole of the day and after smashing your tee shot you think you can carry your 3 wood 240 over water all carry. Don't be that guy.
Go wedge-wedge and give yourself a 10 footer for bird. Or maybe your find yourself in a fairway bunker about 170 out , and your ball is about
five feet from the lip of the bunker. You think hell I can get a 6 out of here no problem. Nope. Just grab your 56 and get yourself in a reasonable
position to get up and down for par.

#3 - Don't be an idiot

Pin up front one less, Pin in back one more. If behind the green is OB don't go for the back pin. You're in a foursome and there is two guys behind you.
Either move your ass or wave them through. Also take it easy on the booze, or in Bart's case the
sticky icky. If you aren't fully concentrating later in the round you will come up out of shots resulting in blocks, or get too quick resulting in hooks.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've managed to get rid of my slice almost completely. My problem now is just figuring out my irons. Some I'm okay with, others I tend to top the ball almost everytime, so I'm left not really knowing which iron to use and when.
Next trip to the driving range might be an all iron day.
I can find that slice for you if you want - I know a little trick that my friend Carl told me about.
24.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb