Golf advice

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Keep your head down all the way through the contact. Let your partner worry about where the ball is going.
I do keep my head down through the swing. My problem with some of the irons is just figuring out stance with the different club lengths within the irons. I actually do okay with the 7- PW. It's the 3-6 that I tend to top the ball on, so I think I'm just standing too tall with them.
That said, I have a decent hybrid now, so unless I'm off the fairway, a few of those aren't needed anymore.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It's expensive and drives you crazy.

94cbf0763ea37d44459232b1e606a8c5.jpg

Wouldn't you rather spend your money supporting FSU alumnae?

bc405b21c6ebdc36a6c71ac26fa871f1.jpg

Alex.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Not sure how I missed this thread. Do you have a Play It Again Sports around you?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Oh, and as far as advice:

1. Grip the club right. If you don't know how, don't guess at it. If you want to strike the ball right and create consistency, learn this first.

2. Address the ball right.

3. Get your alignment right.

4. Good tempo.

5. Don't try to help the ball. Any motion or move you do to try assist the ball will **** you over. Let the club do it's thing.

6. 80% of your errors are pre-shot. The mechanics of a golf swing aren't overly difficult, but any pre-shot flaws set off a chain reaction that will have you blaming your clubs, your ball, the wind, the course, or even Jesus.

7. Tension is your enemy, don't let your last shot effect the most important one (your next), and hit the range on at least aa 5:1 ratio of your course time if you want to improve.

8. Don't try to fix anything during your round. Think about your set-up and not your swing. If you let your mind start telling you how to swing on the course, you've already convinced yourself you have no clue what you're doing and it will kill your round.

9. Be positive. You aren't good enough to be mad at yourself. If your round goes to schit, drink some beer and enjoy your company/surroundings.

10. Use graphite on your irons if you have a vagina.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

1. Grip the club right. If you don't know how, don't guess at it. If you want to strike the ball right and create consistency, learn this first.

4. Good tempo.

5. Don't try to help the ball. Any motion or move you do to try assist the ball will **** you over. Let the club do it's thing.

6. 80% of your errors are pre-shot. The mechanics of a golf swing aren't overly difficult, but any pre-shot flaws set off a chain reaction that will have you blaming your clubs, your ball, the wind, the course, or even Jesus.

7. Tension is your enemy, don't let your last shot effect the most important one (your next), and hit the range on at least aa 5:1 ratio of your course time if you want to improve.

8. Don't try to fix anything during your round. Think about your set-up and not your swing. If you let your mind start telling you how to swing on the course, you've already convinced yourself you have no clue what you're doing and it will kill your round.

9. Be positive. You aren't good enough to be mad at yourself. If your round goes to schit, drink some beer and enjoy your company/surroundings.

I was wondering if you were going to chime in... gracias amigo

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
With a few trade ins I walked out of Play it Again with a brand new set of Nike VR Pro combos for $225 :lol: They screw up a lot, you just have to catch them. Buddy of mine payed $29.99 for a brand new Oddessy putter. Forgot to put that pesky little 1 on the price tag. On that topic, Nike got serious with their top line stuff several years back. It's all I hit aside from my Ping 58 and 54. The mentioned irons, VR 3w, Vapor Speed driver, and Method Core putter. Hell, I hit the Nike 20xi S balls too. Go on ebay for balls (seller I use is sunshinegolfllc). I pay $50 for 50. Mint condition, may have a logo on 5 or so. That's it though.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

4. Good tempo.

Ray's 10 step program for shooting in the low 80s. :stick poke:
:bart:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
So I found a place that drops off and picks up a rental set - $25 a day...not bad.

Just got back from my first lesson - and in one hour I am hitting it straight off the tee.
Slice is gone and the instructor said my drives are about 200 - 225 now.

Ray was spot on about the stuff up above.
To start:
My grip was wrong - my stance was wrong - my backswing was wrong and my footwork was wrong.
But other than that...

The instructor said everything is pre-shot preparedness and to let the club do the work.
It was weird at first trying to incorporate all of that into a swing but after about 30-45 minutes it was beginning to get into muscle memory.

Really gives you some perspective and appreciation on how hard it is to consistently shoot well.
It's definitely a hard sport...

I'll be in a foursome with three women who are in their late 60's and play every week - so I'm just praying I don't embarrass myself by hitting it like 13 yards off the tee.
But ...from what one of them told me - we smoke cigars and drink scotch after the day is over - so like Ray said - if the round goes to schit - then just enjoy the company.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Sounds like you'll be getting your tour card soon which is great because we'll be taking your man card after that last paragraph.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Sounds like you'll be getting your tour card soon which is great because we'll be taking your man card after that last paragraph.

Hey now! :lol2:

It's a charity tourney for the kids of fallen DOJ agents (FBI, DEA, etc.) and it's free for me so what the heck?
Besides...all the men-folk are busy working

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So I found a place that drops off and picks up a rental set - $25 a day...not bad.

Just got back from my first lesson - and in one hour I am hitting it straight off the tee.
Slice is gone and the instructor said my drives are about 200 - 225 now.

Ray was spot on about the stuff up above.
To start:
My grip was wrong - my stance was wrong - my backswing was wrong and my footwork was wrong.
But other than that...

The instructor said everything is pre-shot preparedness and to let the club do the work.
It was weird at first trying to incorporate all of that into a swing but after about 30-45 minutes it was beginning to get into muscle memory.

Really gives you some perspective and appreciation on how hard it is to consistently shoot well.
It's definitely a hard sport...

I'll be in a foursome with three women who are in their late 60's and play every week - so I'm just praying I don't embarrass myself by hitting it like 13 yards off the tee.
But ...from what one of them told me - we smoke cigars and drink scotch after the day is over - so like Ray said - if the round goes to schit - then just enjoy the company.
True story.
I hadn't played in several years and was on vacation at the In-Laws beach house. My Brother-in-Law had just gotten his first set of clubs for Christmas. We decided to play a small par-3 executive/country club type course. Went to the driving range which was really small and was a big net versus a big field. I was hitting the ball pretty good. We checked in and were informs we were going to pair up with a couple of little old ladies who played 9 holes every day, weather permitting. We get to the first hole and introduce ourselves and I am voluntold that I get to tee off first. I warned them that I had t played in several years to which they responded there is nothing to worry about. I tee'd up the ball and hauled off and hit the ever loving sh1t out of the ball. It took off, sliced off to the right went two streets over and made quite a racket as it bounced off some house. I tried to apologize through the laughter but it was impossible.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My advice is Coors light. Start with 6 to 12 on the front 9. See where it takes ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator