Golf advice

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
He can't afford them, so he has to justify not having them for other reasons :lol:
Old timers and cripples use them. If you're old/crippled and can't produce clubhead speed, then by all means go graphite.

First time I've ever heard steel is bad on your back. I've heard it can be harder on your joints (hands) because steel producers more vibration, but I can't imagine it really having that much of an impact. NV may wanna chill it on his swing if his back hurts from a round of golf. Lag is your friend.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Old timers and cripples use them. If you're old/crippled and can't produce clubhead speed, then by all means go graphite.
You just now saw that? :lol2:

First time I've ever heard steel is bad on your back. I've heard it can be harder on your joints because steel producers more vibration, but I can't imagine it really having that much of an impact. NV may wanna chill it on his swing if his back hurts from a round of golf. Lag is your friend.
Actually, I've noticed a big difference between the steel and graphite irons.
Luckily I've never had to pay for any of them. Got my dads hand me downs before, then a coworker won a new set, and he knew I was looking for some newer clubs so he just gave me his. His had the graphite irons.
They are lighter so I feel better after playing than I did with the steel ones, though part of that may have been the vibration you mentioned. There is virtually none with the graphite irons. Feels much more solid when hitting.

That said, if his back is hurting, it's probably more his swing than the club, like you're saying.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
The more the shaft flexes, the more variables you add. That is my view.

I love my clubs. If you want to pay an insane amount to reshaft them all for me I'll give them another shot. I had a set where my 4-7 were graphite and had issues with those clubs in particular because of the flex. Already have to reshaft my driver, but that's completely different.

Question, do you have graphite on your wedges?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The more the shaft flexes, the more variables you add. That is my view.
They seem to be just as firm as the steel ones were. Of they do flex, they certainly don't do anything near what the woods do.

Question, do you have graphite on your wedges?
SW is, PW is not. Free set of clubs and he pieced some of it together over a little bit of time. I don't complain about free :lol:

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
They seem to be just as firm as the steel ones were.

The point of graphite is to take advantage of the flexibility of it, so I'm just gunna call you a liar. I've never seen graphite on wedges, so you kinda of ruined my point. What I was going to say is you see people with the steel shafted wedges because of the control. Why limit that control just to those clubs? But no, you ruined that.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The point of graphite is to take advantage of the flexibility of it, so I'm just gunna call you a liar.
Uhh, not necessarily. Reduced weight would also be a reason. Those swings add up if you play a lot.
They may or may not be more flexible, I don't really know. What I meant was that they feel just as firm when you hit them, minus the vibration.

I've never seen graphite on wedges, so you kinda of ruined my point. What I was going to say is you see people with the steel shafted wedges because of the control. Why limit that control just to those clubs? But no, you ruined that.
Well, you do live in Tennessee, so it's no surprise that you'd be behind the times technologically ;)

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Well, you do live in Tennessee, so it's no surprise that you'd be behind the times technologically ;)
Big tournament comin up this weekend. Let's count the guys that use graphite irons. Or are they all backwoods Amishlike folk too?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Big tournament comin up this weekend. Let's count the guys that use graphite irons. Or are they all backwoods Amishlike folk too?
What irons are you swinging? Are they custom fit?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Callaway Bobby Jones blades are the irons I've played the past 20 years - bought them used in 97 after the Wilson Staff's I had since HS got stolen from my truck. Note: blades and steel shafts (stiff). Man up youngsters!
post-39438-1224571614-5_thumb.jpg

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It can hold around 30 beers (2 which can stay in a chilled pocket). That is how you judge a bag :proud:
I was gonna ask if there was a keg in there too. :lol:
But I getcha - I normally slip a loose sixer of Dale's Pale Ale into my bag, but I normally walk, so 30 beers would get a little heavy and be a little too much to drink (I know, I'm a light weight).

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice set of clubs there Ray. Looks like you're pretty rich.

I guess that explains why you have so much free time to play golf

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It can hold around 30 beers (2 which can stay in a chilled pocket). That is how you judge a bag :proud:
Let me know when your balls drop and you ditch the kid's stuff for a bottle of sour mash whiskey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.