Goolsby leads all returning P5 TE's with his low drop rate

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is very likely because he averages around 4 ypc. High percentage passes = completions. (he actually averaged 9ypc for the year, but he had 8 catches for less than 40 yards vs. Vandy). Maybe if we had an OC he would be used on real TE routes instead of 3 yard dump offs, hoping he breaks it for an extra yard or two.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is very likely because he averages around 4 ypc. High percentage passes = completions. (he actually averaged 9ypc for the year, but he had 8 catches for less than 40 yards vs. Vandy). Maybe if we had an OC he would be used on real TE routes instead of 3 yard dump offs, hoping he breaks it for an extra yard or two.

A TE's job is to bail the QB out when under pressure. Yes, that usually means short routes. This article isn't about YPC or YAC. This article is about how he RARELY drops the ball when it's thrown his way. In fact, he has the LOWEST % of drops in the NCAA according to this article. Sorry that isn't good enough for you to celebrate with us.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A TE's job is to bail the QB out when under pressure. Yes, that usually means short routes. This article isn't about YPC or YAC. This article is about how he RARELY drops the ball when it's thrown his way. In fact, he has the LOWEST % of drops in the NCAA according to this article. Sorry that isn't good enough for you to celebrate with us.

I read the article, but thanks for the lecture. As noted, short passes are high percentage passes....which means high completion rates....which means easier to catch (i.e. less drops). This is great that he rarely drops the ball....but I'd like to see real TE routes; 12 yarder's over the middle, post routes, 8-10 yard drag routes, etc. If he's running out 2 yards and button hooking and barely getting a yard or two after the catch I'm not going to do fist pumps and high fives w/ everyone around me. This stat is pretty meaningless honestly. Like the guy who steals second when his team is down 10 runs in the top of the 9th.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I read the article, but thanks for the lecture. As noted, short passes are high percentage passes....which means high completion rates....which means easier to catch (i.e. less drops). This is great that he rarely drops the ball....but I'd like to see real TE routes; 12 yarder's over the middle, post routes, 8-10 yard drag routes, etc. If he's running out 2 yards and button hooking and barely getting a yard or two after the catch I'm not going to do fist pumps and high fives w/ everyone around me. This stat is pretty meaningless honestly. Like the guy who steals second when his team is down 10 runs in the top of the 9th.

Yea, it would be better if he had the highest rate of drops.....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yea, it would be better if he had the highest rate of drops.....

Dude, while you're busy pumping sunshine you're failing to see the irony of our CRAP offense.

Here's the 3 guys on that list of lowest drops:

Goolsby: 38 catches for 342 yards, 9.0 ypc w/ a long of 32

Breneman: 70 catches, 808 yards, 11.5 ypc w/ a long of 58

Gesicki: 48 catches, 679 yards, 14.1 ypc w/ a long of 53

See a theme there? If I throw you the ball from 3 yards away chances are you aren't going to drop it.

But hey, we won the East and finished 116th ranked in offense and got blown out 4 times last year....at least there's the silver lining - our TE rarely drops the 3 yard passes he's catching....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You can hardly label me a pumper.....

My apologies then.

But my point stands. I'm not impressed w/ this stat. Sure, it's great that he doesn't drop the 3 yard passes....but I'd rather see some more lower percentage throws w/ him going deeper down field. Now if it's 3rd and 3, sure. But if you look at my last post I'm much more impressed w/ those other two pass catchers who have much higher ypc and total receptions. This is a meaningless stat for a terrible offense.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Agreed. Got to look at the totality of the situation. It's no different than if he had one ball thrown his way and caught it. 0% drop rate but meaningless none the less.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Dude, while you're busy pumping sunshine you're failing to see the irony of our CRAP offense.

See a theme there? If I throw you the ball from 3 yards away chances are you aren't going to drop it.

But hey, we won the East and finished 116th ranked in offense and got blown out 4 times last year....at least there's the silver lining - our TE rarely drops the 3 yard passes he's catching....
In all fairness dude we've barely had a QB who could hit anything beyond 3 yards.....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This guy does good things with the ball in his hands when he does get it a little further downfield though so he can be a weapon for us.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

... that GatorChatter should be celebrating Breneman? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb