Gotta love Gatorade

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
LagoonGator68;n177574 said:
if Rovell did that, he couldn't be more wrong. It will hit $250 mil this year, total since the invention.
It's on his twitter feed right now. I was thinking to myself when I saw the tweet (no f'ing way are we getting that) then several others who supposed to know wtf they are talking about tweeted the same.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
I'm with Ox on this one. When I watched the 30 for 30 short on Gatorade I thought I saw it was $250 since the invention of the drink. It stuck out because I had been telling my boys that the university received a gajillion dollars a year from Gatorade and it actually wasn't near as much as I thought.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
OK, some bad info in this thread and some good info trying to clear it up. I'll just wrap it all together.

UF has received over $250 million from Gatorade since it's INCEPTION. It receives 20% of the PROFIT from Gatorade products which are owned by Pepsi. That amounts to between $12 to $15 million a year. That money goes into the general fund, not the athletic fund.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
@DarrenRovell tweeted it yesterday along with several others Ox. UF will receive $250 million this year alone in royalties from Gatorade. I couldn't believe the $hit myself. That's crazy $$$!

It doesn't read PER YEAR to me.

Gatorade was invented by four doctors at the University of Florida in 1965. They have made more than $600 million for the trust that takes a piece of Gatorade's royalties and nearly $250 million for the University of Florida.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...r-weekend-celebrate-gatorade-50th-anniversary

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
The story of Gatorade is both more interesting and complicated than a lot of people know. Dr. Cade approached UF about marketing Gatorade to the general public. UF refused his offer. Cade then sold his marketing rights to the Stokely-Van Camp Company. UF did not pay much attention until Dr. Cade's share of the royalties got up to a couple of a hundred thousand dollars. UF said the money belonged to them. Cade told UF to go to hell. UF sued Dr. Cade to get the money. A long drawn out lawsuit ensued before an agreement between Cade and UF was finally reached.

There is another twist to this story. The Stokelys are big University of Tennessee alumni and supporters. Before Thompson-Bolling Arena was built the Vols played basketball in the Stokely Arena. Some ot the Gatorade money has made its way into the coffers of the University of Tennessee.

You can read about some of these facts in the New York Times obituary for Dr. Cade provided in the link below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/business/28cade.html

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Okeechobee Joe;n177642 said:
The story of Gatorade is both more interesting and complicated than a lot of people know. Dr. Cade approached UF about marketing Gatorade to the general public. UF refused his offer. Cade then sold his marketing rights to the Stokely-Van Camp Company. UF did not pay much attention until Dr. Cade's share of the royalties got up to a couple of a hundred thousand dollars. UF said the money belonged to them. Cade told UF to go to hell. UF sued Dr. Cade to get the money. A long drawn out lawsuit ensued before an agreement between Cade and UF was finally reached.

There is another twist to this story. The Stokelys are big University of Tennessee alumni and supporters. Before Thompson-Bolling Arena was built the Vols played basketball in the Stokely Arena. Some ot the Gatorade money has made its way into the coffers of the University of Tennessee.

You can read about some of these facts in the New York Times obituary for Dr. Cade provided in the link below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/business/28cade.html

Once again, thanx Joe!

IGTBAFG

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n177602 said:
OK, some bad info in this thread and some good info trying to clear it up. I'll just wrap it all together.

UF has received over $250 million from Gatorade since it's INCEPTION. It receives 20% of the PROFIT from Gatorade products which are owned by Pepsi. That amounts to between $12 to $15 million a year. That money goes into the general fund, not the athletic fund.

As usual, Divits has it correct … UF's royalties are at about $14million/year and climbing. Are we hooked $ up with any
sports clothing manufacturer ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.