Governor Scott has declared UCF as national champions

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Dont think any of that has to do with the ncaa. The SEC retroactively voted to strip us of the SEC title, thats not a penalty handed down by the NCAA. They didnt strip us of anything and the NCAA doesnt have their own championship to give for football so they cant take that from us. Its a holier than thou attitude we carry to not claim the title

Correct. There is no NCAA sanctioned football national championship (Div. 1-A or whatever they are calling it now).

That's why 'Bama claims 1941 when it went 9-2, finished 3rd in the SEC, and had a final AP rank of 20. I :kiffin: you not. Final AP ranking was #20. They are all Harvey Updyke.

Alex.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Dont think any of that has to do with the ncaa. The SEC retroactively voted to strip us of the SEC title, thats not a penalty handed down by the NCAA. They didnt strip us of anything and the NCAA doesnt have their own championship to give for football so they cant take that from us. Its a holier than thou attitude we carry to not claim the title
Well then it was the SEC who told us to take the signs down. I remember seeing something about it a while back, you aren't allowed to celebrate "championships" in years you were on probation. Then again, I could just be crazy.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
UCF has to be the biggest morons known to man

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ional-championship-scott-frost-contract-bonus

UCF is claiming a national title after finishing undefeated and beating Auburn in the Peach Bowl. AD Danny White said so on video during that game, and the Knights have backed it up on social media, with White saying they plan to hang a banner and everything.

Soooo ... how about contract bonuses for Scott Frost’s coaching staff, which amicably departed for Nebraska?

A parade is already scheduled, the banner’s on the way, and we can assume rings will show up. What else? Can UCF convince Sports Illustrated to make magazine covers?

All of this is totally legitimate, in the context of this very silly sport. While Alabama or Georgia will be enshrined as the College Football Playoff’s champion and thus the official title-winner, plenty of teams have declared themselves champs with shakier evidence than what UCF’s got here. Like, did Minnesota go back and pay former head coach Henry Williams’ estate for the 1904 title it started claiming 108 years later? I haven’t had a look at his contract, so that’s just a joke among friends.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I'd say UCF is at least on par with 4-8 University of South Alabama, who beat Troy, who beat LSU, who also beat Auburn.

But then again, maybe 2-10 Georgia Southern deserves a banner, because they beat USA 52-0.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
UCF claiming the NC is on par with Alabama claiming all those mythical championships over the years and equally laughable.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wish UCF did get a shot, because I would love to see them get steam rolled by one of the four finalists... They would hang for a while, but at some point, vastly superior talent would take over. The difference in the four playoff teams blue chips, and UCF also ran chips would evidently show up in a game that means something unlike the Peach Bowl.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
UCF with its unbeaten record and this thread with the degree of disagreement are proof together that a more inclusive playoff is what the fans want and what they ought to get.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Well then it was the SEC who told us to take the signs down. I remember seeing something about it a while back, you aren't allowed to celebrate "championships" in years you were on probation. Then again, I could just be crazy.
We had the signs up for almost 20 years. Dont think the SEC did anything. Hence why we said first in SEC instead of SEC champs. We were first. Idk why we did, theres no article on it. But we did it when they redesigned the way they listed the titles on the walls. They just stopped including it. Ill ask dooley or something if they know

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

The SEC Championship is a recognized, sanctioned championship by our conference. That's we we went with "First In The SEC" instead of SEC Champions. My recollection is that we took down 84, 85, and 90 because it was embarrassing to advertise our probation.

The SEC has no control over mythical national championships. Hence 'Bama and 1941.

Alex.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I believe the NCAA said we're not allowed to claim anything from that year, '85, or '90 because of the probation. We used to have "1st in the SEC" in the stadium for those years, and I know we used to claim at least part of the national title in '84 in the media guides, but not anymore.
fck em, halfassu is currently claiming the nations longest bowl streak even though they had to vacate a couple because of mass academic fraud 8 or 9 years ago.

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
I will agree that this delusion by UCF further emphasizes that more tweaking of the playoff system is required.

Still, them claiming a national championship simply because they went undefeated in their lower tiered conference is ridiculous. Time for all the previous schools who went undefeated in their C-USA and MAC conferences to start retroactively claiming NCs. Hot Garbage.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is embarrassing. Though if uga pulls it out on Monday, I may get behind it.

What would be awesome is if Frost's agent had insisted on a wildly imaginative performance clause in his UCF contract where winning a NC would get him a $10 million bonus.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
The SEC Championship is a recognized, sanctioned championship by our conference. That's we we went with "First In The SEC" instead of SEC Champions. My recollection is that we took down 84, 85, and 90 because it was embarrassing to advertise our probation.

The SEC has no control over mythical national championships. Hence 'Bama and 1941.

Alex.
We can ignore 90 because of hall, ignoring 84 and 85 is dumb. We got punished for something the NCAA made legal direcly after it happened (The Pell Grant). We should openly claim the 84 national title and 84 and 85 sec titles.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

So you walk into a board room where grown men are talking about claiming a fictitious national title that will never be recognized, despite the fact that doing so will involve paying out a large and completely unnecessary sum of money, while the rest of the country laughs on.

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.