Grab the popcorn, time to review the film

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Iowa lost a lot of steam when they did not convert on 4th and goal. In a game that was going to be a defensive battle and points a premium...take the FG. I thought that was a bad coaching job by Kirk.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I'm not trying to defend it, but I know the reason why he's still in the game.

He's our best blocking receiver.

If we only put him in on running plays, it would be a tell. So we have to let him play some passing downs as well. Why do we actually throw the ball to him? That I can't answer.

Alex.

Must be why they still play him then, but to throw him some of those critical balls is mind boggling. Maybe him and Appleby are best friends. Lol

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I thought Iowa lost a lot of steam when they did not convert on 4th and goal. In a game that was going to be a defensive battle and points a premium...take the FG. I thought that was a bad coaching job by Kirk.

Good to see the other team making bad coaching moves for a change.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Great stuff and it is more evidence on how execution of the play properly would have resulted in a blow out quickly in this game. Now perfection is not going to happen but better overall execution can and should occur.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Mac from day one had been critical of Fullwood, saying he a 6'4" guy that plays like he's 5'9". But hell he's still playing his butt. Mac should've cut this guy loose after last year. Saban would've never let this guy tie up a scholarship for this long. It's cutthroat, but nice guys finish last in this business.

We don't cut people loose, but we could and perhaps should have limited him to either special teams or the bench. We should not be cutthroat Gator alumni won't generally accept that.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Plays to Fulwood have a 12% chance of succeeding. He's one drive killer.
Our QB's (AA's) inaccuracy kills 25% of our drives, vastly different from the Bowl-team's QBs that I
saw. Next year will be a "trip-over-ourselves" offense if we do not have a QB at least comparable to
our opponent's QB. Drive killer players or drive-killer play-calls could cost 14-21 points per game.
Franks has gotta be fixed, and I don't mean neutered like LDR.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks 2222. Every time you do these films I learn a lot - we're the team in white, right?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
First play of the second offensive possession
BgXpDX.gif

This is an interesting play design. The formation has 4 receivers with two on each side. Before the snap Powell runs across the formation overloading the right side with 3 receivers. Immediately after the snap the RB runs out to the left sideline. The offensive line initially blocks at the line of scrimmage, but quickly releases and transitions to blocking for a screen. However, the line splits and the left guard and tackle run out to b;lock for a screen on the left side of the field while the center and right guard sprint out to block for a screen on the left side. Only right tackle Jawaan Taylor maintains his block. Appleby tries to further confuse the defense by looking to the left and the RB awaiting the screen pass. Then the QB turns right and delivers the ball to Powell in the flat. Taylor's block was the key as he gave the QB just enough time to feint to the left and then throw right. Powell gets the ball in open space with three blockers in front of him. T.J. McCoy and Tyler Jordan are in perfect position to create a lane for Powell. If they can just hold their blocks for a moment then Powell can run between them and there is nothing between him and the end zone. However, Jordan blocks horribly and the middle linebacker tackles Powell. After the play Powell jumps up and looks at Jordan. He knew he should have been dancing in the end zone. That was a very well designed and creative play.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Second play, second offensive possession
g5DKv6.gif

The play is designed to create a hole between Sharpe and C'yontai Lewis on the left side of the line. Sharpe blocks very well and turns the defender inside and away from the play. Sharpe then continues moving forward and attempts a block on a second defender. Right guard Tyler Jordan pulls and goes through the hole ahead of the RB, but then almost trips and was not in position to block the linebacker. Lewis gets stood up, drove backwards and allows his defender to turn inside towards the play. That defender fills the hole right after Jordan runs through.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Third play, second offensive possession
WnKvgg.gif

Same play, different angle
1jpqxj.gif

Florida is showing Iowa another non standard formation with 10 players bunched up and RB Mark Thompson on the left sideline as a receiver. We have 5 OL blocking 4 defenders. Two receivers run down the middle of the field, one heads straight for the right sideline along the line of scrimmage, Powell heads directly towards the left sideline along the line of scrimmage and Thompson runs straight downfield. Four of the 5 receivers are immediately open. The pocket is defended very well and Appleby has plenty of time. Appleby throws a quick pass to Powell. The DE gets a hand up and tips the ball causing the interception.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Hmm. I think many of these plays can be viewed in different ways, unless one knows what the actual call was.

Play 1: I am not sure why they run the "pick" play at the top of the screen risking offensive pass interference, if that is not where the QB is to look first. Oddly the pick man, Callaway I think, is the more open as the safety sees the pick and goes the sideline and CB is forced deep by his man getting out to the motion man. To me it appears to be a QB too quickly going to a check down when he had protection. Then of course as you say he throws too hot a pass for a receiver that close to him. I guess maybe it could have been called to the guy he threw to as a change up since UF runs that play and throws to the motion man the first play of the game very often and Iowa was ready for that, but again Callaway was open on the pick action.

Play 2: Read option action, I think the RB misses the hole with is further to the top of the screen or his right. But for some reason he cuts back immediately. I agree there might have been more room cutting back even further.

Play 3: Nice throw and catch. The first read was open and he went there.

Play 4: The outside run to the short side of the field with the holding call is in my view not blocked as poorly as described. Without the hold it goes for about 5 yards. The seals are ok and the kickout block is good. The hold did not even seem responsible for any part of the success of the play.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Drive 2:

Play 1: A screen pass that might have gotten a first down except for a block that was a little early. This typically happens on screens as the OL can not see behind them. Each OL got a block but Johnson's guy was able to come off the block and make the stop due to the timing issue.

Play 2: I disagree completely. The TE's guy gets in on the end of the play. The Iowa D-tackle stuff's UF's lineman and is the first to hit the UF RB and stops his forward momentum and probably makes the play solo if others had not gotten there to help. That is a very good play by tat D-tackle defeating block and hitting an RB square on a quick hitting play.

Play 3: This appears to be a bad read by the QB. No UF OL goes low as would be the case if this were a called quick pass. I am at a loss of why Appleby threw so quickly. There was not quick pressure and the the receiver likely would not have gotten a first down. Just bad QB play all around in my view.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Thanks 2222. Every time you do these films I learn a lot - we're the team in white, right?

LOL, not trying to teach anyone. I just think it's easier to evaluate and understand the coaches and players if I look at each individual play in detail. It's something I enjoy doing and thought others might like as well.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Hmm. I think many of these plays can be viewed in different ways, unless one knows what the actual call was.

Play 1: I am not sure why they run the "pick" play at the top of the screen risking offensive pass interference, if that is not where the QB is to look first. Oddly the pick man, Callaway I think, is the more open as the safety sees the pick and goes the sideline and CB is forced deep by his man getting out to the motion man. To me it appears to be a QB too quickly going to a check down when he had protection. Then of course as you say he throws too hot a pass for a receiver that close to him. I guess maybe it could have been called to the guy he threw to as a change up since UF runs that play and throws to the motion man the first play of the game very often and Iowa was ready for that, but again Callaway was open on the pick action.

Play 2: Read option action, I think the RB misses the hole with is further to the top of the screen or his right. But for some reason he cuts back immediately. I agree there might have been more room cutting back even further.

Play 4: The outside run to the short side of the field with the holding call is in my view not blocked as poorly as described. Without the hold it goes for about 5 yards. The seals are ok and the kickout block is good. The hold did not even seem responsible for any part of the success of the play.

If we all agreed the board would be boring,

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
If we all agreed the board would be boring,

It would and I would be interested in any response you have to my interpretation of various calls. I agreed with many of your interpretations, but on a few plays I saw them differently sometime dramatically differently.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016

Play 1: In my opinion this play call was a quick pass to the left. I think Appleby was supposed to read the defense and get it to the open receiver on the left. Appleby catches the snap, looks left and never looks anywhere else. Appleby sees the LB 44 heading towards the sideline and makes a quick decision to throw to Lewis. The tough, quick decision probably had something to do with the inaccuracy of the throw.

Play 2: It appears to me that Scarlett never turns his head or hips towards the right side of the line. It appears that he is looking straight at the gap between the left guard and tackle. Also the right side of the line blocks and holds position while the left side of the line pushes forward.

Play 4: I agree it goes for about 5 yards without the hold. I also agree that the hold was not necessary. However, in my opinion the play was not designed to get 5 yards. If the blockers are able to seal the inside of the lane it comes down to Powell's ability to make a safety miss. That's a matchup you want as a coach. Not every play is going to work as designed. Not even the best team is going to execute perfectly every time. The Iowa defenders played well and got a good push. However, the play had a lot of potential if the blockers were able to better carry out their assignments.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Drive 2:

Play 1: A screen pass that might have gotten a first down except for a block that was a little early. This typically happens on screens as the OL can not see behind them. Each OL got a block but Johnson's guy was able to come off the block and make the stop due to the timing issue.

Play 2: I disagree completely. The TE's guy gets in on the end of the play. The Iowa D-tackle stuff's UF's lineman and is the first to hit the UF RB and stops his forward momentum and probably makes the play solo if others had not gotten there to help. That is a very good play by tat D-tackle defeating block and hitting an RB square on a quick hitting play.

Play 3: This appears to be a bad read by the QB. No UF OL goes low as would be the case if this were a called quick pass. I am at a loss of why Appleby threw so quickly. There was not quick pressure and the the receiver likely would not have gotten a first down. Just bad QB play all around in my view.

Play 1: In my opinion it wasn't really a timing issue. Tyler Jordan put his hands on the defender and then failed to maintain contact. He allowed the defender to break off the block and make the tackle. If Jordan maintains the block after he makes initial contact then that play goes for a big gain. Jordan was actually spinning around following the defender to the ball. Powell appears to be unhappy with Taylor's effort as well.

Play 2: The DT is definitely in on the play and may be the first to make contact. The OT did not get a good push. However, I still maintain that if the TE is able to turn his block to the outside then the gap is wide enough for the RB to avoid the DT. It's simply a matter of which missed block do you want to blame. I blame the TE because his lack of blocking would have stopped the play even if the OT was successful in his block.

Play 3: I don't recall seeing our OL go low on quick passes. Maybe I will see that as I look at the rest of the plays in this game. This play features a different formation but is very similar to the first play of the game when Appleby threw a bad pass. RB Thompson runs over to the sideline as a receiver. Thompson runs deep and Powell runs short. In my opinion the play is designed to make the defense bite on the short route or go deep with Thompson. Appleby is supposed to read what the defense does and quickly throw to whichever of the two is open. Iowa remembered the play from earlier and played it perfectly. Appleby was not good at the quick decision making early in the game.

That's my opinion. Although, it's perfectly possible I am wrong.

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
First play, third offensive possession
1jpNv3.gif

Same play, different angle
3lrXxr.gif

Again, the play calling is aggressive. The five OL block very well against the 4 rushers. Appleby has plenty of time and no pressure. Scarlett leaves the backfield and runs a short route to the right. Goolsby gives a quick chip block and runs a short route to the left. The other three receivers run deep, spaced out across the field. Both of the short routes are wide open. However, Appleby has time to scan the field and find Callaway open. The pass is just a tad high and behind. If Appleby is able to hit Callaway in stride it probably goes for a few more yards and perhaps a TD. This play was designed and executed very well.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Second play, third offensive possession
vgxv6V.gif

It's difficult to tell what the called play was on this one. The entire line appears to push towards the right. Ivey falls down in the middle of it all. There is no penetration from the defense and the line does get some push, but there are no running lanes through that mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator