Grading Coaching Hires

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Can someone explain to me how the 'QB Whisperer' title keeps getting thrown around?

He's had 3 great QBs in his career.. all 3 of which were talents that most of us could have 'whispered' to greatness.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me how the 'QB Whisperer' title keeps getting thrown around?

He's had 3 great QBs in his career.. all 3 of which were talents that most of us could have 'whispered' to greatness.

So he got lucky 3 times? That doesn't make sense. Give the man his due. He even got something out of butt ass Chris Relf type QB's. We should be better at QB this year than we have been in the past.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
I personally think Kirby is getting elevated to an elite status a bit too quick. He did win the SEC this year and has his team in the playoffs so you have to give him credit for that but Muschamp (more likely DQ) would have had us in the playoffs in 2012 (basically in Bama's position) if they existed and look how that turned out. UGA lost 5 games last year and gave up a lot of points in the process. Kirby just happens to have a senior laden team this year and they relied heavily on their run game of which they will lose both starting RBs and a couple OLine guys I believe.

He may end up being better than the likes of Muschamp in the long run as he does seem to be recruiting much better on the offensive side of the ball but let's not put him up there just yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tumble next year that would have people second guessing his standing in the hierarchy of coaches.

CTGator

Nov 16, 2017
Satan
Smart
Malzhan
Fisher

Throw Mullen at the top of the group that includes stoops, mason, mizzou coach, with a chance to enter the upper echelon over the next 2 years.

Nobody else has proven anything. Champ, freeze Jr, Moorhead, Pruitt, Morris, ogeron all in bottom tier. But for the bottom tier that ain't horrible.

I firmly disagree on Smart, he is still unproven at this point. If you compare the resumes there is no way you can consider smart a better coach.

I firmly believe Mullen is a top 3 coach in the SEC and will be a home run hire for UF. He will get the players here that are needed for his system. Jimbo is going to be on hot seat out west in 3 years after he loses to Saban 3 years in a row.

Just glad we don't have Uncle Willie

CTGator

Nov 16, 2017
I personally think Kirby is getting elevated to an elite status a bit too quick. He did win the SEC this year and has his team in the playoffs so you have to give him credit for that but Muschamp (more likely DQ) would have had us in the playoffs in 2012 (basically in Bama's position) if they existed and look how that turned out. UGA lost 5 games last year and gave up a lot of points in the process. Kirby just happens to have a senior laden team this year and they relied heavily on their run game of which they will lose both starting RBs and a couple OLine guys I believe.

He may end up being better than the likes of Muschamp in the long run as he does seem to be recruiting much better on the offensive side of the ball but let's not put him up there just yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tumble next year that would have people second guessing his standing in the hierarchy of coaches.
Totally agree with this. He played an Auburn team that was beat up from Iron bowl the week before. Mayfield is going to steamroll UGA.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I firmly disagree on Smart, he is still unproven at this point. If you compare the resumes there is no way you can consider smart a better coach.
Twice as many nattys as Coordinator. Infinitely as many SECs as an HC.

I'm pumping just as much as anybody even though my brain says hold up. But I'm not sure what portion of the resume you are referring to.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

So he got lucky 3 times? That doesn't make sense. Give the man his due. He even got something out of butt ass Chris Relf type QB's. We should be better at QB this year than we have been in the past.

Gotta absorb the real QB-whisperer credit being given. Including Fitzpatrick as a QB DM has elevated, then In Mullen's 15 years of involvement with those 4 QBs, DM has kept that on-field QB excellence for 13 years. I look forward to watching our high-performing QB being responsible for Gator wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.