Greatest Catch in UF History

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
They are saying the Hail Mary against Tennessee last week was the second greatest catch in University of Florida history.

The greatest?

That would be me. :dance:

OK, ok, just kidding.

Your nominees are as follows:

"Super Sophs" Reaves to Alvarez to shock Houston

"The Catch" James Jones one handed back of the endzone to beat Miami

"From his own endzone" Bell to Nattiel 97 yard catch and run against UGA

"Doering's got a touchdown!" Wuerffel to Doering against Kentucky

"Stop and Pop" Wuerffel to Hilliard against FSU to ice the first MNC

"Green's behind the defense!" Johnson to Quezzie against FSU in 1997

"4th and 14" Grier to Calloway

"The Hail Mary" Franks to Cleveland (which wasn't a Hail Mary)

Which is the best? Which is your favorite?

Alex.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Favorite: Bell to Nattiel... It was just an exciting play from out of our own endzone

Best: Wuerffel to Doering...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Favorite: Bell to Nattiel... It was just an exciting play from out of our own endzone

Best: Wuerffel to Doering...

Yeah, people were crying and everything when Danny made that TD.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Best catch was James Jones. Back peddling, one-handed catch with a defender on him.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Catch? James' vs scUM.

It's getting frustrating with the Cleveland Catch being constantly referred to as a Hail Mary. It was as much a screen pass as a genuine Hail Mary.

Good grief.

Memorable? Doering's and Ike's Stop & Pop

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
# 3 on your list.
It was not on TV and I was listening to Mick' s call. Just unbelievable. It really set the stage for what was to come.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As the best, I vote for FF to TC because 1) it was thrown 63 yards with no YACs and 2) because TC had to sprint full-out and cradle it well, while jarring the ground, with sliding & rolling arms well wrapped around that baby.
Love all the other catches too. Loved to see Jaquez run.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My vote would be Johnson to Quezzie. Loudest I have heard the Swamp.

Play starts at 1:25

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Although technically not a "catch" by definition, it would be right up there....

Ahmad Black's int in the BCS CG to seal the deal against Oklahoma should be right up there.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Although technically not a "catch" by definition, it would be right up there....

Ahmad Black's int in the BCS CG to seal the deal against Oklahoma should be right up there.
I'll allow it

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It's like picking my favorite Victoria Secret model. Each was special in it's own way. My instinct is to go with "Stop and Pop" because it had so many implications. Beating F$U. Beating F$U in a revenge game. Beating F$U for the NC. And when it happened it left no doubt that we were going to win.
"The Catch" because we beat Miami and that's always a good thing. I was lucky enough to be there and in that corner of the end zone so it happened right in front of me. Good Times.
"Doering's got a Touchdown" because it signaled a new beginning for the Gators so in retrospect it gets a lot of love. At the time we didn't know how much we'd be looking back on that play.
"Green's behind the Defense". Maybe my sentimental favorite. Maybe because I was there. Maybe because it is arguably the loudest the Swamp has ever been. Followed by a few play laters on the interception that sealed the game. And it was against F$U.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
All of them are my favorites.

We still need about 20, last second, winning TDs against UGa. Think Franks can pull off another this year?

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I had this conversation with my Dad (long long time gator) and my brother right after the Cleveland catch. Well had these catches in the conversation: Doering got a TD
Quez Green vs Fsu
Cleveland catch
Reidel against FSU or was that Ike that had the stop on a dime.
And my dad had a couple that were older of course. I think Doering"s was the best. But Quez Green against FSU was the most excited I've ever been watching a football game.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When we say "greatest" do we mean the best circus catch, or can it mean impactful?

James Jones was a difficult catch (especially for a FB). It was also a touchdown and a gamewinner.

Doering's was the gamewinner for the first official SEC, but we won the SEC unofficially the year before and in '84 (before we were stripped).

Nattiel's catch beat UGA which led to that first SEC (later stripped) and it was a freaking 97 yard TD.

Quezz's catch was nice, but he didn't even score. I mean, we FELT like we were going to win after that, but there was still a lot of game left.

Ike's stop and pop was great, but that Sugar Bowl was a blowout. Was the back breaker Ike's score or was it Terry Jackson's TD, or even Wuerffel's rushing TD?

Calloway's catch and run (with a HUGE assist to Powell for springing him with the block) gets written off because Grier only played a couple more games and Calloway may be done and it didn't lead to any championship.

Alright. Imma say Ike's catch in the Sugar is the GREATEST and I can't pick a favorite because I love them all.

Alex.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going with Cleveland. It is the only play that was a "walk off." No extra point, no kickoff to follow.......just BALLGAME!

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My vote would be Johnson to Quezzie. Loudest I have heard the Swamp.

Play starts at 1:25

I was at that game and it was definitely one of my favorite memories from being at a game along with with the Ole Miss game two years ago, and the 86 Auburn game where Bell limped into the game in the 4th brought the team back for the win. But the Doering catch may be the most significant of all the other great pass plays.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I wasn't a necessarily a Gator fan at the time, but I was cheering for them vs FSU in the Sugar Bowl because I have always hated FSU. When I saw Ike do the pop and stop, I damn near wet myself. I thought he had to have busted his ankles, then I started laughing at the FSU players for busting their ankles.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The Catch.
jamesjones_8col.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member