Grier transfers to WVU

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Grier is in no hurry to pick a college, is he? Does he have to be enrolled in school attending classes for his penalty to be in effect?

Is he technically still enrolled and attending classes at UF?

My guess, is that the Grier family is waiting it out as long as possible to see what the QB situation is going to be at his preferred schools before he makes a decision.

I think that the clock stops taking while he is out of school. So yes he would have to be at the school this fall.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think that the clock stops taking while he is out of school. So yes he would have to be at the school this fall.

For the NCAA yes, for the NFL no. The rule is only 3 years out of High School for the NFL.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I have a strange feeling that we will see WG in a Gator Uniform next year. Him and his dad are going to come crawling back on their hands and knees begging Mac to let him in for Fall. Then the next year he will transfer. If I was a betting man, that is what I would bet on.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have a strange feeling that we will see WG in a Gator Uniform next year. Him and his dad are going to come crawling back on their hands and knees begging Mac to let him in for Fall. Then the next year he will transfer. If I was a betting man, that is what I would bet on.

Interesting... following that hypothesis, what team would want him if he (potentially) sits out the year... or would he go to the NFL. Also does anyone know if he is close to graduation... could he do this and then be a grad transfer?

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

I seriously doubt it because I don't think Coach Mac would take him back at this point. There isn't enough upside to waste a recruiting slot on a 5th QB with that much baggage. Too much risk of friction within the team with no discernible payback and you'd have to carry him for another 2 years when you already have even more QBs lined up for coming classes. Basically, this guy blew his chance at UF and seriously damaged his chances at any other big school. Crazy thing is he could have gotten away with it if he'd stopped after his Redshirt year but continuing into the year he finally got to play was beyond foolish. It's a shame but now it is time to move on.

Moral of this story: NCAA penalties are really harsh so don't do the crime if you aren't ready and willing to do the time.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I seriously doubt it because I don't think Coach Mac would take him back at this point. There isn't enough upside to waste a recruiting slot on a 5th QB with that much baggage. Too much risk of friction within the team with no discernible payback and you'd have to carry him for another 2 years when you already have even more QBs lined up for coming classes. Basically, this guy blew his chance at UF and seriously damaged his chances at any other big school. Crazy thing is he could have gotten away with it if he'd stopped after his Redshirt year but continuing into the year he finally got to play was beyond foolish. It's a shame but now it is time to move on.

Moral of this story: NCAA penalties are really harsh so don't do the crime if you aren't ready and willing to do the time.
Yeah but of those 5 QBs, you can redshirt at least two of them. I think its highly possible is all I am saying.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
He needs to go on a missionary trip for 18 months, to get his calendar set back to the normal school year. The Church of the FSM probably has flexible arrangements. As I understand it, when one is out on a mission, NCAA eligibility is tolled.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah but of those 5 QBs, you can redshirt at least two of them. I think its highly possible is all I am saying.

It's possible. However, I doubt it. Mostly for the reasons GatorTom cited about friction with staff and other players. But also for the practical matter - is Mac going to keep a scholarship tied up on a guy who can't play? Probably not, so WG is on his own dime if he sticks around. And if he sticks around, he's not getting reps because a) he is ineligible, and b ) the coach doesn't want or need him. What would WG gain by spending his own dime to attend school here and not even get to practice?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
................ What would WG gain by spending his own dime to attend school here and not even get to practice?

:dunno:............. A first class education.......... :dunno:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I seriously doubt it because I don't think Coach Mac would take him back at this point. There isn't enough upside to waste a recruiting slot on a 5th QB with that much baggage.
I disagree. We have two third stringer transfers, an unproven true freshman, and a less-than-a-walkon type who hasn't played regularly since 7th grade.

He'd have strings attached but you have to take him.

If you take crap backup transfers from Purdue and Oregone State, you take Grier and try to fix it. Maybe you make him earn his ship again but you are already wasting schollies and people with waaaaaaaaay less upside.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's possible. However, I doubt it. Mostly for the reasons GatorTom cited about friction with staff and other players. But also for the practical matter - is Mac going to keep a scholarship tied up on a guy who can't play? Probably not, so WG is on his own dime if he sticks around. And if he sticks around, he's not getting reps because a) he is ineligible, and b ) the coach doesn't want or need him. What would WG gain by spending his own dime to attend school here and not even get to practice?

We have plenty of scholarship room.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
He CAN'T play 1AA without sitting out the six games. JuCo is his only chance to play a full year.

You're missing the bigger picture of this situation. This isn't about going someplace he can play a full year next year, nor am I saying he can do so at the 1-AA level. Going 1-AA allows him to play after the suspension without sitting a year as a transfer. This will allow him to play 6 games in 2016 and all of 2017, at a minimum. Going JUCO allows him to play all of 2016 but only the last 6 games of 2017 at a 1-A school. A program at the 1-AA level that will get at least a year and a half out of Grier is much more likely to take a chance on him than will a 1-A school that may only get the last 6 games of the 2017 season out of him. Therefore, it seems a well respected 1-AA program that will give him exposure and a decent level of competition to hone his skills against is his best option at this time. And don't kid yourself...no NFL team is going to use anything but the lowest of draft choices, if they even do that, on this kid if he tries to go to the NFL straight from JUCO. Not sure if you believe that fairy tale but I've seen some posters on here speculating on him getting drafted in a decent round straight from junior college, which isn't happening.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I disagree. We have two third stringer transfers, an unproven true freshman, and a less-than-a-walkon type who hasn't played regularly since 7th grade.

He'd have strings attached but you have to take him.

If you take crap backup transfers from Purdue and Oregone State, you take Grier and try to fix it. Maybe you make him earn his ship again but you are already wasting schollies and people with waaaaaaaaay less upside.

Let's be honest. Grier wasn't necessarily tearing it up either. He was very average in the Missou game for instance. Not that I don't think he had a lot of upside, but he did indeed blow it at UF. I don't think your assessment of the current 4 QBs is very accurate either. Mac is a pretty good QB coach. If Harris had any real ability for the position he'd have been able to find a way to make something work with him. Unfortunately Harris didn't have any Div 1 QB skills but he was appealing to Muschamp because he was essentially another running back. I think it is time to move on from Grier and I wish the best for the guy whatever that might be. I also think Div I-AA is likely his only real option as stated by GatorinGeorgia.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Bill Parcells is a couple years away from having his breakfast through a straw while waiting for his caregiver to change his diaper. The game has changed and QB's who can actually play are worth more than their weight in gold. Fuking Sam Bradford just signed to make over 20 million a year and someone calculated that up to this point in his career, he has made over 1 million per TD pass he has thrown.

There's only two rules now; you can't be in prison (unless you can get furlough for weekends and the occasional Monday and Thursday), and you have to be able to play. Nothing else matters.

Folks might as well get used to the idea that most likely Grier is going to play for Meyer, have a good shot at a Championship, and is going to be a first round draft pick in the 2019 draft.

BWAAHAAAHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!!! Grier has proven himself to be a fuktard. He had it all at Florida laid right before his feet, now he'll be bagging groceries at Publix. Grier is going nowhere, and with no education either.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Going 1-AA allows him to play after the suspension without sitting a year as a transfer.
Well, I was going solely off of ego. He isn't going to want to play 1.5 years at a 1AA, but you're right, it makes sense. However, Griers don't always make sense.

If he is going 1AA or Juco, why isn't he there already? It just isn't smart. He is going to need time to learn a new playbook.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I was going solely off of ego. He isn't going to want to play 1.5 years at a 1AA, but you're right, it makes sense. However, Griers don't always make sense.

If he is going 1AA or Juco, why isn't he there already? It just isn't smart. He is going to need time to learn a new playbook.

The longer he waits to transfer the more I suspect he has come to believe that he made a dumb dumb decision buy turning the remaning 6 months of suspension into 1 1/2 YEARS.

Is there any turning back? Is he waiting to find out? Is he evaluating spring training from afar to determine if he has any chance at all of reclaiming the starting spot from LDR?

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Gator J would you be okay if WG came back? I would to be honest. I know he cannot do anything till mid season, but having a "proven" QB on the field is a lot better than having a WR/DB/RB playing QB.

I wouldn't mind him sitting on the bench and holding a clipboard if he has a good attitude. He could even take a snap in the unlikely event all four QBs ahead of him get injured. However, he let the team down and acted like a selfish jerk when he left the team. I would have to be convinced his presence wouldn't be poison to team morale. I'm pretty sure he's poisoning my morale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.