Grier transfers to WVU

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
If WG comes back, he will be our starter next year...book it. He will need to have a great book of work to be evaluated by the NFL, and he will show out. I don't think any of the Freshman QBs on campus right now or 2017 Freshman QBs will be able to beat him out, and he will be a great addition to our QB staff. I know that means that one or both of this year's Freshman QBs will transfer. That might not be good for us in the long run given our history.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator J would you be okay if WG came back? I would to be honest. I know he cannot do anything till mid season, but having a "proven" QB on the field is a lot better than having a WR/DB/RB playing QB.

Uh... Yeah... There's nobody on this roster currently better than him. That being said, I'm not sure under what circumstances he left - would it negatively affect the team? Only Mac can answer that.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Uh... Yeah... There's nobody on this roster currently better than him. That being said, I'm not sure under what circumstances he left - would it negatively affect the team? Only Mac can answer that.
If Mac is the Coach that I think he is, he will not answer this question by himself. He will put it to a vote with the team, and make his decision based on what is good for the team's chemistry and the team in the long run.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have a strange feeling that we will see WG in a Gator Uniform next year. Him and his dad are going to come crawling back on their hands and knees begging Mac to let him in for Fall. Then the next year he will transfer. If I was a betting man, that is what I would bet on.
Hey, I'm all for Grier coming back if Mac can make it work, but if you were a betting man (you didn't come out and say you were, you said 'if'), I'd take the bet that both of these things will not happen:
1) Him and his dad are going to come crawling back on their hands and knees begging Mac to let him in for Fall (I don't really know what the chances are Mac will take him back).
2) Then the next year he will transfer (why would he transfer after coming back? Getting beat out by Jake? Just curious why you think he'd then transfer).[/QUOTE]

You name your price NCO, any amount, I'm game.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Hey, I'm all for Grier coming back if Mac can make it work, but if you were a betting man (you didn't come out and say you were, you said 'if'), I'd take the bet that both of these things will not happen:
1) Him and his dad are going to come crawling back on their hands and knees begging Mac to let him in for Fall (I don't really know what the chances are Mac will take him back).
2) Then the next year he will transfer (why would he transfer after coming back? Getting beat out by Jake? Just curious why you think he'd then transfer).

You name your price NCO, any amount, I'm game.[/QUOTE]
Tempting offer. First I would have to get great odds if I were to bet this there are a lot of factors that must happen. Next the only way WG transfers next year, if he comes back, is if he is the starter the second half of the season and balls out. That is too many "ifs" to bet on. As for him coming back. Lets wait till after the Spring Game, and you might have yourself a bet. I'm thinking an Avatar Bet, but like I said I would have to get good odds. Say if he does come back change your Avatar for 3 months and if he doesn't, I change mine for one?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
it's starting to emerge that little Willy and Daddy wanted guarantees that he would be slotted back into the starting lineup. When they didn't get guarantees from the staff, they left in a huff.

personally, i'm glad Mac didn't get bullied by these egotistical twerps. it was Brock Berlin part two.

can't believe little Willy didn't think he could out compete the remaining QBs on the roster and win his job back fair and square.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You name your price NCO, any amount, I'm game.
NCO wrote:
Tempting offer. First I would have to get great odds if I were to bet this there are a lot of factors that must happen. Next the only way WG transfers next year, if he comes back, is if he is the starter the second half of the season and balls out. That is too many "ifs" to bet on. As for him coming back. Lets wait till after the Spring Game, and you might have yourself a bet. I'm thinking an Avatar Bet, but like I said I would have to get good odds. Say if he does come back change your Avatar for 3 months and if he doesn't, I change mine for one?[/QUOTE]
I replied:
You really aren't a betting man. You made the initial stipulations - now you want odds? :lol:

In this format since NCO messed something up on his reply to me and I'm not smart enough to figure it out. :bart:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
What a shame, what a waste....I would have loved to see this guy grow with a offensive minded coach who has finally brought in proper numbers at Oline, WR, and RB. I know some still question his ability but it was obvious he had ability to throw and use his feet as most successful college QB's do these days. With what we would have around him we could have OWNED the East and possibly won a SECCG or 2.....That being said, if this is true and it's starting to look more and more like it is,....**** him.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Gator J would you be okay if WG came back? I would to be honest. I know he cannot do anything till mid season, but having a "proven" QB on the field is a lot better than having a WR/DB/RB playing QB.

Except by the time he could even play next year one of the current 4 QBs will have gained as much experience as Grier had (7 games) and will be into the flow of the team for the season whereas Grier would be rusty having had no game speed experience for over a year and would have no timing with the receivers or his line. Face it - the guy would not be able to just step in and pick up where he left off next year even if everything was setup perfectly for him which it isn't. That's why it was so ludicrous that his family expected some sort of guarantee as though he was entitled to keeping his starting role instead of having to earn it back. That' also why I think he'd be a cancer to the team because that kind of sense of entitlement, whether it 's coming from him or his dad or both, is a distraction that just isn't worth it. So I would absolutely take the bet that he'll be back because there is no way that he or his family will have the needed humility to ask and Mac is too savvy to even want him to.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone think that maybe he's already asked to come back, and missing Spring Ball is part of his punishment?

As for one of the Fr QB's transferring, I'm already on record thinking Franks will transfer at some point anyway.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If WG and Phamily needed a guarantee, it tell us something about their confidence he would win the job back. Just maybe LDR is the reason. We can only hope so. I doubt it was any of the other three.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Except by the time he could even play next year one of the current 4 QBs will have gained as much experience as Grier had (7 games) and will be into the flow of the team for the season whereas Grier would be rusty having had no game speed experience for over a year and would have no timing with the receivers or his line. Face it - the guy would not be able to just step in and pick up where he left off next year even if everything was setup perfectly for him which it isn't. That's why it was so ludicrous that his family expected some sort of guarantee as though he was entitled to keeping his starting role instead of having to earn it back. That' also why I think he'd be a cancer to the team because that kind of sense of entitlement, whether it 's coming from him or his dad or both, is a distraction that just isn't worth it. So I would absolutely take the bet that he'll be back because there is no way that he or his family will have the needed humility to ask and Mac is too savvy to even want him to.
I would have to disagree with you here. There were reports all last season that he was still practicing with the team all up till the bowl game. I think he has a good working knowledge of the playbook, even better by that time, so I think he will be G2G.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
NCO wrote:
Tempting offer. First I would have to get great odds if I were to bet this there are a lot of factors that must happen. Next the only way WG transfers next year, if he comes back, is if he is the starter the second half of the season and balls out. That is too many "ifs" to bet on. As for him coming back. Lets wait till after the Spring Game, and you might have yourself a bet. I'm thinking an Avatar Bet, but like I said I would have to get good odds. Say if he does come back change your Avatar for 3 months and if he doesn't, I change mine for one?
I replied:
You really aren't a betting man. You made the initial stipulations - now you want odds? :lol:

In this format since NCO messed something up on his reply to me and I'm not smart enough to figure it out. :bart:[/QUOTE]

I don't know what happened there. Like I told my ex...it is not you it is me. LOL

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Well, I was going solely off of ego. He isn't going to want to play 1.5 years at a 1AA, but you're right, it makes sense. However, Griers don't always make sense.

If he is going 1AA or Juco, why isn't he there already? It just isn't smart. He is going to need time to learn a new playbook.

You're correct about his ego and the family not being the sharpest knives and I think those are the reasons why he hasn't gone the 1-AA route so far. I think he believed he would have his pick of big time schools and realizes now that isn't the case. He may have finally realized that the JUCO route isn't that great of an option compared to having just stayed at UF and I believe he's regretting his decision now that reality is sinking in.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The Griers may have been fully confident(ego) that WG would beat all competitors on performance.
But wanted guarantee that the spiritual negatives (bumping off the first 6 leader & residue of
resentment for goofing up our prior season) would not be held against him, keep him off the field?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
The Griers may have been fully confident(ego) that WG would beat all competitors on performance.
But wanted guarantee that the spiritual negatives (bumping off the first 6 leader & residue of
resentment for goofing up our prior season) would not be held against him, keep him off the field?

Possibly so.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
it's starting to emerge that little Willy and Daddy wanted guarantees
Thats not just STARTING to emerge, but some of you-- trying not to laugh here-- dont believe anything until :lol: (trying to breath here) DOOLEY writes it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone think that maybe he's already asked to come back, and missing Spring Ball is part of his punishment?.
I dont know, people where whispering that LDR was the coaches' choice all along. They just couldnt get a waiver.

As for transfers, my sources are already sayig that Trash has completed his paperwork to go to the South Waco Barber School. We wish him luck.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I dont know, people where whispering that LDR was the coaches' choice all along. They just couldnt get a waiver.

As for transfers, my sources are already sayig that Trash has completed his paperwork to go to the South Waco Barber School. We wish him luck.
My source says that Trask is entrenched in a battle with Appleby for the backup spot. Franks will definitely RS as he is significantly behind Trask and there is more distance everyday. Trask is expected to challenge LDR later this season if LDR struggles at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator