Grier transfers to WVU

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Nobody beats a dead horse like me but I feel with an improved line and more weapons like Cleveland, Swain, Thompson, and the rest of the returning guys we could have had a legitimate shot at having a consistent 400-450 yards a game offense this year. I just don't feel the same after hearing and seeing about our QB situation. I've certainly been wrong before and hopefully that's the case come next fall.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody beats a dead horse like me but I feel with an improved line and more weapons like Cleveland, Swain, Thompson, and the rest of the returning guys we could have had a legitimate shot at having a consistent 400-450 yards a game offense this year. I just don't feel the same after hearing and seeing about our QB situation. I've certainly been wrong before and hopefully that's the case come next fall.
I think you're too stuck on what he did in ONE game. Don't you recall the others he played?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think you're too stuck on what he did in ONE game. Don't you recall the others he played?
I do. I think a lot of people have forgotten how many 3rd downs he converted with either his arm AND his legs. He was the only reason we won the Mizzou game last year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I do. I think a lot of people have forgotten how many 3rd downs he converted with either his arm AND his legs. He was the only reason we won the Mizzou game last year.

He did have a few 3rd down conversions, but he also had some completely bad incompletions (on early downs) that lead to 3 and outs. Also took some bad sacks trying to do too much in that game, instead of throwing it away on early downs (issue with most young QBs). Taylor is the one who sealed that game for us.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hands down. Sadly, I don't think either of our guys is on the same level as Grier talent wise.

From what we know of these guys right now, talent wise Grier was far superior. Mental understanding of the game we don't know. Grier didn't play long enough to see if he was going to take that next step (too small of a sample size). The only team that had enough film for his tendencies was Missouri. Obviously we saw that Harris didn't take the next step, teams had enough tape to shut him down. This is the big unknown of all the quarterbacks in this conversation, who not only has the talent but the mental ability to take the next step. Terry Dean was physically much more talented than Danny Wuerfell, but he couldn't take the next step mentally.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Depending on your view, it's either a wise damage control move or it's typical Grier dumb as hell. Skyler Howard will be gone and there's no heir apparent, at least none that I can see, but he gives up the entire 2016 season versus six games.

How does he get more assurance of starting at West Virginia than he would have at Florida? He doesn't. Total roll of the dice.

Exactly. His dad's tweets showed they think he is entitled to something. Glad Mac told them not to let the door hit them in the ass.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What more could LDR have done? He only had 1 incompletion and that was a throw away. Was grier physically more gifted than anyone we have now? Yes but we knew that going into the spring. I know it's just the spring game but I didn't see anything to make me think we weren't better off at qb this time around.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I don't want to piss on anyone's parade but you do realize LDR was going against the 3rd string defense, right?

Did you watch him play? Its not just who he played against, it was his decision making and his accuracy and the way he throws the ball that promising.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is probably the best move Will Grier and family could make considering as how they don't have internet yet in West Virginia.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Did you watch him play? Its not just who he played against, it was his decision making and his accuracy and the way he throws the ball that promising.
Even if one of the guys was named Christian Garcia??? Look the guy did alright but lets call it what it is. JD and JB had some pretty good Spring games too. As far as decision making goes did it ever occur that the 1st 2 drives were scripted with limited options???

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Even if one of the guys was named Christian Garcia??? Look the guy did alright but lets call it what it is. JD and JB had some pretty good Spring games too. As far as decision making goes did it ever occur that the 1st 2 drives were scripted with limited options???

So, you didnt see any positives?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Yep Appleby had a much worse situation given to him and its Spring like you say but I think the QB situation isn't much worse than if Grier was still here. He had those good 5 quarters but came down quite a bit against Missouri. Mac will coach these guys up.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yep Appleby had a much worse situation given to him and its Spring like you say but I think the QB situation isn't much worse than if Grier was still here. He had those good 5 quarters but came down quite a bit against Missouri. Mac will coach these guys up.
Yeah, I agree about Appleby. He was going against straight up #1's. We have more overall talent at QB this year which isn't really saying much but we'll be better off if the starter goes down with an injury. Be it LDR, Appleby, or Trask we are in much better hands than where we were at the end of last season.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So, is there something else we can evaluate? Maybe we should just assume we are gonna suck. Spring or not, I see several good points and improvements. Just read your post, glad you see improvement too.
If our line comes together and establishes a viable ground game it will make any of our QB's more effective. To be honest all of the QB's except Franks looked better than I expected. I'm just not ready to declare our offense alive yet....I think we may have found a pulse though.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I remember us being disgusted at how bad Cam Newton was in our spring game, repeatedly chucking it into the crowd. And he went on to win the Heisman. Since then, I don't put much stock in spring game performances, either good or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.