Grier transfers to WVU

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's a Spring Game, we don't know what handcuffs were given to each side. Just like last years Spring Game was obviously a showcase for Grier. He was in position to look good, and it would have taken him throwing into the backs of his ol to look bad last year. Let's wait until the bullets are real before we start getting too excited.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We have more overall talent at QB this year which isn't really saying much but we'll be better off if the starter goes down with an injury.
More importantly the talent we have is suited for the system and we actually have some depth.
I remember us being disgusted at how bad Cam Newton was in our spring game, repeatedly chucking it into the crowd.
Cam just needed some coaching and that staff wasnt capable of providing it. In fact I doubt he would have had any success had he stayed. Every QB Dan Mullen touched has gotten worse each year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cam just needed some coaching and that staff wasnt capable of providing it. In fact I doubt he would have had any success had he stayed. Every QB Dan Mullen touched has gotten worse each year.

In 2009 and 2010 he would have Steve Dumbasszio ... it would have been even worse. We would be running the triple option, hell we ran it with Brantley.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
In 2009 and 2010 he would have Steve Dumbasszio ... it would have been even worse. We would be running the triple option, hell we ran it with Brantley.

Cam would have been more suitable to run that than Brantley for sure.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember us being disgusted at how bad Cam Newton was in our spring game, repeatedly chucking it into the crowd. And he went on to win the Heisman. Since then, I don't put much stock in spring game performances, either good or bad.
Are you alluding to Franks and that he may still end up a stud QB? I agree he has potential, but he is very, very raw. His throwing motion isn't as bad as Tebow's but it needs a lot of work. As McElroy pointed out, it's more about accuracy than timing. He is also behind the ball on his football IQ. He needs two good years of learning before he can think about taking the reigns. To be honest, I think he'll end up transferring, and playing well there. I don't think Franks has the intangibles either. I don't think we'll be having any QB recruiting issues with Mac moving forward tho.

At this point, I wonder if Trask might not really be legit. During the broadcast they said that he was slated to be the starter his soph year until he was hurt. That's when the other kid took over and they ran a pretty potent spread option. Now that he's got an opportunity, we'll see if he's a steal or not. He played well without any real OT's to protect him.

Like you said it's just spring, but I'd rather have good spring performances than bad, especially since there were 3 pretty good performances...when all is taken into account

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Are you alluding to Franks and that he may still end up a stud QB? I agree he has potential, but he is very, very raw. His throwing motion isn't as bad as Tebow's but it needs a lot of work. As McElroy pointed out, it's more about accuracy than timing. He is also behind the ball on his football IQ. He needs two good years of learning before he can think about taking the reigns. To be honest, I think he'll end up transferring, and playing well there. I don't think Franks has the intangibles either. I don't think we'll be having any QB recruiting issues with Mac moving forward tho.

At this point, I wonder if Trask might not really be legit. During the broadcast they said that he was slated to be the starter his soph year until he was hurt. That's when the other kid took over and they ran a pretty potent spread option. Now that he's got an opportunity, we'll see if he's a steal or not. He played well without any real OT's to protect him.

Like you said it's just spring, but I'd rather have good spring performances than bad, especially since there were 3 pretty good performances...when all is taken into account
Interesting point regarding Franks. Considering his performances at the UA All Star game and this spring game, I can't help wondering if Les Miles isn't chuckling to himself, not that LSU's QB situation is great by any means. As far as Trask goes, he left no doubt in most peoples minds that he is a year or so ahead of Franks at this point. I wasn't buzzed when I watched the replay so I feel somewhat safe when I say Trask may have better footwork in the pocket than AA...We'll see come fall though.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't buzzed when I watched the replay so I feel somewhat safe when I say Trask may have better footwork in the pocket than AA...We'll see come fall though.

AA has happy feet, which isn't a good thing... he is feeling the pressure before it's even there.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting point regarding Franks. Considering his performances at the UA All Star game and this spring game, I can't help wondering if Les Miles isn't chuckling to himself, not that LSU's QB situation is great by any means. As far as Trask goes, he left no doubt in most peoples minds that he is a year or so ahead of Franks at this point. I wasn't buzzed when I watched the replay so I feel somewhat safe when I say Trask may have better footwork in the pocket than AA...We'll see come fall though.
I think Franks will be a good QB somewhere after he transfers in a couple years. I just think he as a lot of work to do, but I think he's willing to do it.

I think Appleby is a better option as this point because of his experience. Trask doesn't really have much at all. Doesn't mean he would do alright, but why waste a year of eligibility if it's not a big upgrade.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Trask's high school coach was quoted in an interview as saying in three years he would be known as the "dumbass coach" that didn't start Trask...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
AA has happy feet, which isn't a good thing... he is feeling the pressure before it's even there.
I felt the same way watching. AA seemed to go to the check down really quick or just haul ass. That's not always a bad thing but I liked the way Trask slid his feet calmly right into the crease of the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. Even on the plays when he took off he had his head up and eyes downfield before crossing the los. That takes a coachable kid to do that in the heat of things. Granted he didn't see many stunts or blitzes.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I felt the same way watching. AA seemed to go to the check down really quick or just haul ass. That's not always a bad thing but I liked the way Trask slid his feet calmly right into the crease of the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. Even on the plays when he took off he had his head up and eyes downfield before crossing the los. That takes a coachable kid to do that in the heat of things. Granted he didn't see many stunts or blitzes.

AA was real quick to check it down. While Del Rio did look good I noticed he never really leans into his throws. Maybe that is just his natural motion but I hope that isn't an issue in real game situations under heavy pressure.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
AA was real quick to check it down. While Del Rio did look good I noticed he never really leans into his throws. Maybe that is just his natural motion but I hope that isn't an issue in real game situations under heavy pressure.

He sure does throw a nice ball. I wish it was Sept.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The problem with the quick clock and happy feet, it was the Spring Game. In game situations not bad, but this was Spring ball... I wonder what kind of damage/bad habits the staff is going to have to retrain for him before Fall.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The problem with the quick clock and happy feet, it was the Spring Game. In game situations not bad, but this was Spring ball... I wonder what kind of damage/bad habits the staff is going to have to retrain for him before Fall.

IMO it is reasonable to believe all players will improve with time with "developers" ... get better.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He sure does throw a nice ball. I wish it was Sept.
It looks to me LDR has really worked on his release over the last couple of years. That's not an easy thing to do and a lot of guys resort right back to their old release in game time. Seems that LDR is coachable and can hit the short and intermediate stuff pretty good....it's a start in the right direction anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator