Hal Seymour

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
He was the gator punter when I first started following the gator. Punted bare foot. He was pretty good and drafted by the Wash. Redskins. Passed away Saturday. He was 73. Who became punter after Hal at UF?
I think I know.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Barefoot punter? That is really quite badass. Hal must have had a foot of steel. Rest in peace Hal.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hobart Neville. I believe he was from Micanopy.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hobart also did not sing on Tell it like it is.

That was his brother, Aaron. He left Micanopy after HS to find his fame and fortune in New Orleans in the music industry. After a so-so punting career Hobart reluctantly returned to sleepy little Micanopy to run the small family farm and take care of his aging Ma and Pa until they died. He always resented Aaron for his success and for abandoning the family and saw him as the reason for a life not fully lived.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Barefoot punter? That is really quite badass. Hal must have had a foot of steel. Rest in peace Hal.
It was not an uncommon practice in those days for players to remove their right (or left) shoe before punting. Of course, equipment protocols were somewhat lax back then.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
It was not an uncommon practice in those days for players to remove their right (or left) shoe before punting. Of course, equipment protocols were somewhat lax back then.
There were a few barefoot placekickers as well. Tony Franklin and Rich Karlis come to mind.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Place kickers too.

05162014barefootkicker.jpg

RCTPye.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah, but none of those guys were as good as Hal!! In fact, Hal is credited w/ being the 'grandfather' of the barefoot kickers. Rich Karlis is quoted as saying, "If it wasn't for Hal, I'd probably be a garbage collector in New York City."

(just trying to add to the legend of Hal Seymour. Someone should start a Wiki page for him and we could add bits and pieces to make him the greatest punter no one's ever heard of)...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He wore a sock. That's not barefoot. Just sayin'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.