Harbaugh on Cowherd with a painfully awkward interview...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete, chill out. Your response warranted a vacation, honestly. But I don't have the energy to click the extra buttons right now.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n242459 said:
Down years at UF are caused by incompetence. you have to truly eff up to achieve mediocrity or worse here. The rest of the country is laughing at our stupidity.

There are basically three jobs in the country where all you have to do is be the flagship and get most of top recruits from your own state to stay home.

There are about 110 other schools that would give anything to have our advantages.

So name the 3 programs and let me know which one hasn't had a down year. Coaches leave, circumstances change and hiring a new coach is never a guarantee. Florida is a flagship, but has to compete with FSU as another top program. It is never easy.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
That was weird. I assume he was being a douche just to be a douche.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n242571 said:
So name the 3 programs and let me know which one hasn't had a down year. Coaches leave, circumstances change and hiring a new coach is never a guarantee. Florida is a flagship, but has to compete with FSU as another top program. It is never easy.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=FL

I'm not going to disagree with the whole "down years" thing. That happens everywhere but every time I look at this list it makes me cringe. When the brand starts to suffer it is a real problem.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n243356 said:
That was weird. I assume he was being a douche just to be a douche.

He was just being himself.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n242571 said:
So name the 3 programs and let me know which one hasn't had a down year..
They question isn't whether other schools have also had incompetent ADs. It's also not whether the Tinercs and Iowa's of the world have had down years. They aren't similar to us

There are only three programs, Texas, USC and us, that are in our position, being a flagship program in a state where you really only have to keep your kids at home in order to be a NC contender type team. At these places, you have to make incompetent decisions to run the train off the track.

But Foley's ego is a helluva thing.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n243402 said:
They question isn't whether other schools have also had incompetent ADs. It's also not whether the Tinercs and Iowa's of the world have had down years. They aren't similar to us

There are only three programs, Texas, USC and us, that are in our position, being a flagship program in a state where you really only have to keep your kids at home in order to be a NC contender type team. At these places, you have to make incompetent decisions to run the train off the track.

But Foley's ego is a helluva thing.

Look at the issues Texas has had recently. I do think they will get better, but last year they were the 4th best team in the state! In 2010 Mac Brown went 5-7 at Texas.

USC has had down years also.. UCLA can pop-up and get kids from them and give a big challenge. In 2012 they were 7-6 with Lane Kiffin and 5-4 in conference.

Yes.. Kiffin was a bad hire and so was Muschamp, but there are no guarantees when you make a hire. There is nothing that says that a guy is 100% going to be a superstar. In 1991 USC went 3-8 on the season... they have had really crappy years.

So the bottom line is that even flagship programs have bad years and make bad hires because there are no guarantees. Now the key is that at a flagship program it is easier to recover and you can recover fast and it seems like Mac has us on the right path, but to assume that any program (Florida, Texas, USC) is guaranteed success is idiotic.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n243604 said:
USC has had down years also.. UCLA can pop-up and get kids from them and give a big challenge. In 2012 they were 7-6 with Lane Kiffin and 5-4 in conference.

Yes.. Kiffin was a bad hire and so was Muschamp, but there are no guarantees when you make a hire. There is nothing that says that a guy is 100% going to be a superstar. In 1991 USC went 3-8 on the season... they have had really crappy years.

I'm not a huge Foley fan, but I don't necessarily want him fired yet either. But you're actually supporting law's argument here. Mike Garrett was the worst AD I've seen in awhile.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
oxrageous;n241927 said:
Wow. Insanity. I understand not liking him, but the guy is a phenomenal coach. Kinda like Belichick.
Urbs is more likable though. ;)

Colon is annoying and so is Harbaugh. They have no chemistry. LOL!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Scott512;n243848 said:
Colon is annoying and so is Harbaugh
It sounds from the article I posted that Colon backdoored his way, pardon the pun, into this interview and Harbaugh was a little off guard. Lets face it almost all great coaches are a little quirky and most just aren't generally likable people. Often their players and staff are the only ones they really want to talk to anyway. Lombardi, Bryant, Belicheck, Hayes, Schembeckler, Saban and even SOS were all hated by almost everyone except fans and players of their teams. I see Harbaugh being cut from the same mold. I just hope Meyer doesn't tuck his tail the first time Harbaugh gives him something to bellyache over.....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n243874 said:
I just hope Meyer doesn't tuck his tail the first time Harbaugh gives him something to bellyache over.....
He'd probably just go to Notre Dame and win a 4th NC with them. I'm not even really joking when I say that - he could probably do it.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n243875 said:
He'd probably just go to Notre Dame and win a 4th NC with them. I'm not even really joking when I say that - he could probably do it.

Yeah, especially since ND doesn't wanna play Michigan anymore......

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We found Concrete's second man crush.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer was supposed to shrivel and fold up at the sight of Nick Saban, wasn't he? What happened?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n243912 said:
Meyer was supposed to shrivel and fold up at the sight of Nick Saban, wasn't he? What happened?

42-35 bucknuts.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n243912 said:

He got lucky...last year was a very down year overall in CFB, even Bama was average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator