Harbaugh to Michigan - expected announcement on Tuesday

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n138326 said:
I think Harbaugh is a good coach, but he's never won any titles and he's never been at a place longer than 4 years. It's certainly a risk for Michigan, as it's extremely unlikely he's a long-term solution.

That's an angle no one has brought up. Longevity. If Harbaugh is "settling" on Michigan -- I know, that's a lot of jack -- what happens when an NFL team with an attractive offer comes along involving control of personnel?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n138330]

That's an angle no one has brought up. Longevity. If Harbaugh is "settling" on Michigan -- I know, that's a lot of jack -- what happens when an NFL team with an attractive offer comes along involving control of personnel?[/QUOTE]
78, I find it hard to believe he can't get control of personnel out of several NFL teams. You don't think the Jets would give him that? He's leaving as much or more money in the NFL by going to Michigan. I just have to think he likes the college game better.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n138331 said:
78, I find it hard to believe he can't get control of personnel out of several NFL teams. You don't think the Jets would give him that? He's leaving as much or more money in the NFL by going to Michigan. I just have to think he likes the college game better.

Dunno. I'm feeling a little unconvinced by all the talk that he's taking the Michigan job. Right now a number NFL general managers are on the phone busting their humps over what to do over the head coach. It's hard to imagine Harbaugh not being in the thoughts of a LOT of NFL teams who might be willing to cede some degree of control.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n138316 said:

You are being purposely obtuse. Nobody was saying to pay Freeze $8MM. What I was saying was that if Ole Miss is offering $4MM, then offer $4.8MM or $5MM even though you might be paying a premium, not $4.3MM. When you come with that offer, you are basically telling him that you are cheap or that Ole Miss= Florida in terms of prestige. This is not rocket science.

If I was in Foley's position here is what I would do. Find out who has the best HC office in the country and make Florida's better. Find out who has the best football facilities, and make Florida's better. If our new OC/DC work out really well, pay them the top salary for those positions. If you really think T-rob is the best or one of the best at his position, pay him the best. That is all I ask.

What did you call me?
:solitary:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n138332]

Dunno. I'm feeling a little unconvinced by all the talk that he's taking the Michigan job. Right now a number NFL general managers are on the phone busting their humps over what to do over the head coach. It's hard to imagine Harbaugh not being in the thoughts of a LOT of NFL teams who might be willing to cede some degree of control.[/QUOTE]
That's why I found this so hard to believe, because the 49ers season is not over yet (or wasn't when these rumors started). In other words, we're supposed to believe he already decided to go to Michigan when he hasn't even heard what several interested NFL teams would offer? If that's true, that tells me that he simply wants out of the NFL and his heart is truly in the college game.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n138316 said:

You are being purposely obtuse. Nobody was saying to pay Freeze $8MM. What I was saying was that if Ole Miss is offering $4MM, then offer $4.8MM or $5MM even though you might be paying a premium, not $4.3MM. When you come with that offer, you are basically telling him that you are cheap or that Ole Miss= Florida in terms of prestige. This is not rocket science.

If I was in Foley's position here is what I would do. Find out who has the best HC office in the country and make Florida's better. Find out who has the best football facilities, and make Florida's better. If our new OC/DC work out really well, pay them the top salary for those positions. If you really think T-rob is the best or one of the best at his position, pay him the best. That is all I ask.

Guys like "T-Rob" are a dime-a-dozen. I can't figure all the love there.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n138337 said:
That's why I found this so hard to believe, because the 49ers season is not over yet (or wasn't when these rumors started). In other words, we're supposed to believe he already decided to go to Michigan when he hasn't even heard what several interested NFL teams would offer? If that's true, that tells me that he simply wants out of the NFL and his heart is truly in the college game.

Exactly. He might be feeling conflicted inside over it but it makes no sense for him to jump on Michigan's offer before he sizes up the opportunities in the NFL.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n138340]

I was called purposely obtuse once. I ended up marrying her. [/QUOTE]

:dance2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n138302]This thread has some entertaining twists and turns. No. 1, the presumption that Harbaugh could be bought. Sure, he's interested in a return to college football and wants to be paid handsomely, but where's the connection to Florida? He's a Michigan alum with no ties to the SEC. It would have amounted to a stretch chasing him and the potential fallout from having waited this long could have proved damaging.

Secondly, the notion that Freeze was an automatic home run hire is flawed IMO. He's done a great job at Ole Miss, but the resume remains limited. All things considered, I think Foley handled this about as well as he could have.[/QUOTE]

I certainly didnt mean to imply that we should have paid 8 mil for Harbaugh, merely that we should think big instead of buying a 30 year career assistant who finished at best 3rd in the M West.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n138324 said:
It will be interesting to see if he gets them back faster than Mac gets us back. This guy can flat out coach and would have been my top pick over anybody if we would have been able to somehow pull it off....

I think the guy is a beast of a coach, and would've welcome him with open arms. But I don't think the comparisons going forward make a lot of sense. If JH was returning to college, it was likely to one place. It wasn't as if Foley sat down and compared both his and McElwain's resumes, and opted to go after the latter. We weren't in it for him, so what he does in Mich is really irrelevant to us.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ian Rappaport just said on NFL network that his source says he's getting MORE than 8mil per year. Insane.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
t-gator;n138305 said:
harbaugh may be a higher caliber coach but he's overrated. For an offensive guy he leaves alot to be desired on that side of the ball. And he inherited the best defense in the nfl and now that the defence is getting old and they need to rely on the offense , they suck. Stanford hasn't missed much of a beat since he left either. And nfl teams aren't lining up for freeze because he's a college guy not a fair argument at all. As far as turnaround time , mcelwains name doesn't carry much weight with recruits yet. And it's going to take longer to implement a pro style offense than an uptempo spread system.

Until the 49ers job, Harbaugh only had collegiate level coaching experience. How was he any more an NFL guy than Freeze?

To your last point, yes Freeze's name carries a little more weight right now with recruits. But what if he's merely a trendy name who hit his ceiling this season. Would having a more notable name, that is also potentially not the right longterm hire, be a smart move. Personally, I'd rather someone step in and be the right guy. Recruiting will take care of itself.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, Harbaugh and the Niners have officially parted ways, the numerous clashes with GM Trent Baalke over personnel being the precipitating cause. Is there another NFL team willing to provide the power Harbaugh wants? If not he'll go to Ann Arbor and get the total control he seeks.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
^^^ One argument here is on the practical level, the other on the hypothetical level. There's a difference.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Good. Give Urbs some competition up there. The B10 is almost as easy as the ACC for the Nolies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For the money we wasted on Mushchimp, and will be paying for the MacNuss train and the ridiculous buyout, we COULD have hired any coach on the planet. Instead we take the ScUM and slUT route of hiring losers and cheap mediocre guys multiple times and buying them buyouts when we fire them.

More Nussmushdawgmutt ball coming up.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n138400 said:
For the money we wasted on Mushchimp, and will be paying for the MacNuss train and the ridiculous buyout, we COULD have hired any coach on the planet. Instead we take the ScUM and slUT route of hiring losers and cheap mediocre guys multiple times and buying them buyouts when we fire them.

More Nussmushdawgmutt ball coming up.
That's the spirit! :rolleyes:

Give it a rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.