Harbaugh to Michigan - expected announcement on Tuesday

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He was the best available coach on the market. At $5 mill he's a steal especially if he wins a title. I think they did well.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
This will be good for Michigan, the B1G Joke of a conference and college football in general... His money will be well spent when the Big house is selling out again.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n139616 said:
I said middle programs pay $3.5MM. Law said middling coaches in the SEC make $3.5MM.

and both statements are wrong, if there are 128 programs and now only 18 out of 128 are paying that or more.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n139617 said:
He was the best available coach on the market. At $5 mill he's a steal especially if he wins a title. I think they did well.

They did do well, they got the guy they wanted for the price of a top 5 coach (which he has the track record of). If they win a title or multiple titles he will get a raise.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Coaching hires have alot to do with timing. Michigan and harbaugh was perfect timing

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n139622 said:
Coaching hires have alot to do with timing. Michigan and harbaugh was perfect timing

Yep, and I fully expect him to give ole urbs a nice slap on the back to help with his esophageal spasms!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Durty South Swamp;n139627 said:
I'd love to see a harbaugh-schwartz style repeat betweens harbs and urbs next year! :lol:

That's what I like about Harbaugh, he seems kind of like a ballsy dude. It's either black or white with him. There is no grey area.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n139620 said:
and both statements are wrong, if there are 128 programs and now only 18 out of 128 are paying that or more.
We got it, Jeremy. You think we shoiuld pay like Louisiana Lafayette. And I think you did a bangup job only paying seven and a half million for a guy who finished 3rd in the MWAC and Chimp (for the next two years).

Thisbis why no one except interns at the UAA call you yhe best in the business. Tell Zooker I said hello.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n139632 said:
We got it, Jeremy. You think we shoiuld pay like Louisiana Lafayette. And I think you did a bangup job only paying seven and a half million for a guy who finished 3rd in the MWAC and Chimp (for the next two years).

Thisbis why no one except interns at the UAA call you yhe best in the business. Tell Zooker I said hello.

Glad you go to name calling instead of a real argument when the "facts" you present are found to be fictional.... congrats.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
They just hired their Spurrier, IMHO.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Preparing for the college football version of ESPN's All Yankees--Red Sox, all the time coverage. Expecting it to be all UM--OSU in the coming months. Can't recall the last time every single commentator seemed so giddy with delight.

One legitimate question about Harbaugh: as a renowned QB guru how does he get a pass on the regression of Kaepernick the last couple of seasons? I don't think anyone would make the claim that he's gotten better over the last two years.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n139646 said:
Preparing for the college football version of ESPN's All Yankees--Red Sox, all the time coverage. Expecting it to be all UM--OSU in the coming months. Can't recall the last time every single commentator seemed so giddy with delight.

One legitimate question about Harbaugh: as a renowned QB guru how does he get a pass on the regression of Kaepernick the last couple of seasons? I don't think anyone would make the claim that he's gotten better over the last two years.

I don't think he regressed, he just hasn't progressed and NFL DCs now have ample game film of him. There isn't much forgiveness at the top for players who can't continue to grow their game.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Since65;n139646 said:

No. He had a rare talent fall to him in Andrew Luck. That is what his success is based on to this point. Dude never even won the Pac 12/10

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n139643 said:
They just hired their Spurrier, IMHO.

Nothing humble about the opinion. I think most of us would agree, they hired a guy who could potential turn the program around and put them over the hump. Make them a creditable program, he was a good coach at all his stops. He just has to get over the issues that area is having as mentioned by people like GatorJ. I think that is why that went after him, his name is known through out the country due to what he did at Stanford and the 49ers. Most kids that will be recruited in the next 5 years will remember his team in the Super Bowl and NFC Championship games.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Jim Harbaugh isn't even getting a raise. It had been previously reported Michigan had offered Harbaugh a contract that would make him the highest-paid coach in college football. In the end, he'll be starting with the same base salary he had in his final season with the San Francisco 49ers.
The details of Harbaugh's contract -- which he signed Monday -- were released at his introductory press conference Tuesday.
Seven years, $5 million annually to start. Plus a $2 million signing bonus. Harbaugh will be eligible for 10 percent increases after three and five years.
Interim athletic director Jim Hackett also said he'd review the football program at the end of 2015 to determine an appropriate "deferred compensation" plan.
The contract has the following incentives:
• $200,000 if Michigan plays in a bowl game appointed by the College Football Playoff committee;
• $300,000 it if plays in a College Football Playoff game;
• $500,000 if the Wolverines win a national championship;
• $50,000 if named Big Ten Coach of the Year;
• $75,000 for other national coach of the year awards;
• Up to $150,000 per year if Michigan's Academic Progress Rate (APR) is 960 or higher.
Amongst Big Ten coaches, Michigan State's Mark Dantonio was No. 2 nationally in total pay in 2014 at $5.636 million. Ohio State's Urban Meyer made $4.536 million.
"Jim insisted that he not be the highest-paid coach in college football, or even the Big Ten," Hackett told John U. Bacon. "I think that tells you something about his values."

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The big ten-ish is probably torn between excitement and agony. I think the national view is the conference reputation will greatly improve, but it also means beating meatchicken got a whole lot tougher. osu-um games will be a lot more interesting now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb