Harrison on Kaminsky..."F*** that N*****"

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
WobbleGator;n204151 said:
If the word is wrong to use, then make it a big deal for anyone who uses it.

:exactly: I only wonder if Stephen A. Smith will touch on this topic.....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n204170 said:
it's not reverse discrimination, it's just discrimination. Reverse discrimination was coined to diminish any actions against straight white males. The term reverse discrimination is in fact, discriminatory in its own existence.

Harrison told me Kaminsky has a smokin' hot girlfriend.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n204137 said:
Me too. I love the fckn underdog no matter the color. But let us be honest. The term niggar is and has always been used to make one class of Americans feel like they are less than human. It was used like a hammer when they had no power or very little. When the twin used it on Kaminsky it carried none of that history or power. It was the superstar, who knew they would win 40 lashing out at the one who made it impossible.......I have no doubt, at that moment , he hated Kaminsky for his height, color, skills and humility. You could tell he loves Calimari because he said they lost because he did not follow what Cal said at times........To his Credit Cal called him out and said the blame belonged with himself.
The not shaking hands was the really classless thing he did.

Quit acting like a damn moonbat. The word has power because a certain group gives it power. They react as if you just killed their baby and ate it in front of them. It had no power on Kaminsky because Kaminsky gave it zero power. The black community has given numerous efforts to come up with a white version of "******" with no luck. Honkey, cracker, whitey....and the majority of the white community laugh it off like it's cute. The only power the word "******" had on that day was to show the ignorance of Harrison, but also to any defender of poor, pathetic masses that the word hurts. The word doesn't hurt, people hurt themselves by feeling victimized, because that's easier than owing up to any of their individual shortcomings. How about you quit indulging in white guilt and get over it. It's a word.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n204175 said:
The word has power because a certain group gives it power.

Wouldn't that imply that a certain level of judgment be exercised in its usage?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n204171 said:
:exactly: I only wonder if Stephen A. Smith will touch on this topic.....

He already did. Said it is not a big deal cause Harrison is black.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You obviously have no awareness of history, boozer. IT had much power at one time and many of those that walked the earth when it did are still alive today. It meant much more to them than what it did to Kaminsky. I have no white guilt about things I had no power over. But I am not stupid enough to think Harrison calling Kaminsky a n#ggar is anything like The bossman calling old Joe one is the same thing Yes, that real power and dominance is gone thankfully but do not think it has been erased from memory. Whether you believe it or not it had real power not so long ago. If you do not think words can hurt people give me a try.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The upshot to all of this is the implicit knowledge that slavery is legal and alive and well. No other explanation for the one-sided phenomenon.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n203948 said:
magine if Kaminsky had said this about Harrison's brother, Aaron, last year after that killer 3-pointer that eliminated the Badgers in the 2014 national semifinals. Kaminsky would have been executed by a social media mob. Perhaps literally.
The moral equivalent would be if Kaminsky had called Harrison a Honky, which would have been ironic, not racist.

I really don't know what the N-Word means when black folks use it, and I really don't care. Everyone says it means something different than when Riley Cooper used it, but no one is willing to define it. What they're really saying is that black folks have the right to use the word in any context they want, but white folks don't. Whatever. I don't use the word and I don't feel like my rights have been stripped because of it. I'm certain I wouldn't be using it if I were black either. It low-class no matter who uses it.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
The thing is there was what a 1 min thing on this on the mother of all sports networks. However when Cooper "made a in jest" I think it ran for a couple of weeks. Also Steven A said something to the fact that this is something that all people of color say almost trying to say, "Well he is black so he can say that." This will only be talked about on Forums and not on the news or sports casts. My point is if you want to discourage this type of behavior, you need to ensure that punishment and media persecution is even no matter WHO SAYS decimating comments.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
reverse discrimination

Please, please everyone stop using this idiotic term. It's MEANINGLESS.

It's not 'reverse' discrimination if a black person treats/speaks to a white person in a particular manner simply because they're white. It's just plain old 'discrimination'.

Treating ANYONE differently simply because of who they are (not what they do) is discriminatory.. reverse discrimination would be if Harrison took Kaminsky out for ice cream to be nice - just because he was white.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n204183 said:
You obviously have no awareness of history, boozer. IT had much power at one time and many of those that walked the earth when it did are still alive today. It meant much more to them than what it did to Kaminsky. I have no white guilt about things I had no power over. But I am not stupid enough to think Harrison calling Kaminsky a n#ggar is anything like The bossman calling old Joe one is the same thing Yes, that real power and dominance is gone thankfully but do not think it has been erased from memory. Whether you believe it or not it had real power not so long ago. If you do not think words can hurt people give me a try.

Agreed. I disagree with '78 in stating that this story is just about Harrison committing an "act of bigotry". Is there some truth to that assertion? It's possible. But, I think this story is mostly about Harrison being a sore loser and a poor sportsman. Should he have said what he said? Of course not. It was childish and immature. I wouldn't want the kid on my team. But, you can't tell me that "n.igga" is the same as "n.igger". Some of you will argue that they are the same word, but I would say that's not true. And if you wanna get into an argument about that, let's agree to disagree. This is merely my perspective. I'll explain.

The world changes. Our vernacular evolves - for better or for worse - and certain terms and words become part of the lexicon. The latter word is essentially a slur that evokes the memory of the systematic dehumanization of a group of people who were enslaved, tortured, disenfranchised, and denigrated over the course of hundreds of years, which quite frankly, still has lasting ramifications even today. Agree with it or not, the former word is essentially the derivative response to that slur created by said oppressed people in an attempt to empower them and mitigate the power of the slur. In essence, one word is closer to meaning "subhuman" and the other is closer to "dude".

Take basketball out of the equation for a second. Those that argue that Harrison calling Kaminsky a "n.igga" would be just as bad as Kaminsky calling Harrison a "n.igger" are incorrect...partly due to the distinction between the two, but mostly due to history. The kid is an immature brat. That much is true. Is he a racist? Probably not. He would've probably said the same thing about ANY high profile player that played a major part in knocking his team out of the Final Four during that press conference.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;n204223 said:
Please, please everyone stop using this idiotic term. It's MEANINGLESS.

It's not 'reverse' discrimination if a black person treats/speaks to a white person in a particular manner simply because they're white. It's just plain old 'discrimination'.

Treating ANYONE differently simply because of who they are (not what they do) is discriminatory.. reverse discrimination would be if Harrison took Kaminsky out for ice cream to be nice - just because he was white.

If it's discrimination and it's discrimination against a dominant group, then it's reverse discrimination. Thank you very much.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n204224 said:
Agreed. I disagree with '78 in stating that this story is just about Harrison committing an "act of bigotry".

Wiki:
is a state of mind where a person obstinately, irrationally, unfairly or intolerantly dislikes other people, ideas, etc.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[video=youtube;bGdCeMayUjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGdCeMayUjk[/video]

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There WAS a rational reason for him to not like Kaminsky; he just beat him in the most important game of his life. He just expressed his discontent in an immature, tasteless way. The kid is dumb, but there's no evidence of him being a bigot against white people in the sense that you're suggesting. That's a stretch.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n204235 said:
There WAS a rational reason for him to not like Kaminsky; he just beat him in the most important game of his life. He just expressed his discontent in an immature, tasteless way. The kid is dumb, but there's no evidence of him being a bigot against white people in the sense that you're suggesting. That's a stretch.

I'm trying to remember the number of times, George Wallace not included, when it wasn't done in an immature, tasteless manner. I've not used any of my fingers yet.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n204240]

I'm trying to remember the number of times, George Wallace not included, when it wasn't done in an immature, tasteless manner. I've not used any of my fingers yet. [/QUOTE]

Reread what I wrote. It makes a lot of sense.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n204243 said:
Reread what I wrote. It makes a lot of sense.
It's a short read and a short subject. He used a slur against a member of the opposite race. How un-absolute do you want to be about it?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n204240]

I'm trying to remember the number of times, George Wallace not included, when it wasn't done in an immature, tasteless manner. I've not used any of my fingers yet. [/QUOTE]

Wait, are you saying George Wallace used the term in tasteful manner? :lol:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Don't you know, minorities can't discriminate over majorities? So, move along, nothing to see here.

But, seriously, he was angry, disappointed, and a sore loser. I get that. The larger issue is the double standard with how this would have been handled by the media if the players were reversed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator