Harrison on Kaminsky..."F*** that N*****"

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n204278 said:
Don't you know, minorities can't discriminate over majorities? So, move along, nothing to see here.

But, seriously, he was angry, disappointed, and a sore loser. I get that. The larger issue is the double standard with how this would have been handled by the media if the players were reversed.

Anybody can discriminate against anybody, aka. It just looks a lot worse when one race of people has a long history of being discriminated against and the other doesn't. And as I said, this is more of a case of stupidity than discrimination. The kid lashed out when the reporter asked his teammate to essentially praise the player that just beat them and he basically said "Screw that guy" not "That guy shouldn't be allowed to play because of his race". But, I don't care to argue about it anymore. You obviously feel however you feel about it and I'm not going to change that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n204261 said:
Wait, are you saying George Wallace used the term in tasteful manner? :lol:
:lol: Don't ask me why I thought of Wallace other than he was the most ruthless and deliberate racist I could think of at the moment.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
WobbleGator;n204182 said:
He already did. Said it is not a big deal cause Harrison is black.

Sorry I must have missed that. Then again I try to miss as much of what he says as possible....

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n204296 said:
Anybody can discriminate against anybody, aka. It just looks a lot worse when one race of people has a long history of being discriminated against and the other doesn't. And as I said, this is more of a case of stupidity, than discrimination. The kid lashed out when the reporter asked his teammate to essentially praise the player that just beat them and he basically said "Screw that guy" not "That guy shouldn't be allowed to play because of his race". But, I don't care to argue about it anymore. You obviously feel however you feel about it and I'm not going to change that.

Oh, I agree this was more just about a player being angry and disappointed. It's just ironic.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
heversle;n204235 said:
There WAS a rational reason for him to not like Kaminsky; he just beat him in the most important game of his life. He just expressed his discontent in an immature, tasteless way. The kid is dumb, but there's no evidence of him being a bigot against white people in the sense that you're suggesting. That's a stretch.

To play devil's advocate then there was no proof that Riley Cooper was a bigot. He was just drunk with his friends and said something that he didn't think anyone else would be hear. So why the diffrent treatment? In order to wipeout racism we must ensure that one we don't call everything we disagee with racist, and when that word is used in a public forum the peson who used it should be villafited no metter the color. This way we ensure that it taken serious. I mean hell we have that "That's Racist" icon to make fun of the matter because it has become a punch-line. The racecard is thrown around way too much now a days, and do I think Harrison said this in a racist manner or is racist? No!!! However it shouldn't be brushed off because "that is just a word that young blackmen use everyday there is no harm in that." That is BS you at least call him out on it saying that you shouldn't mutter that word in public and educate him on why.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n204302]
:lol: Don't ask me why I thought of Wallace other than he was the most ruthless and deliberate racist I could think of at the moment.[/QUOTE]
In his defense, he actually used the word "Negra," a bastardized form of which has been co-opted by modern hip-hop artists. That makes it a wash.

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
Seems to me it's more of a "double standard" than anything. That's when one group is held to a different standard that another, period.

Blacks feel they can say this in "jest" and move on, when whites say this, it's racism and totally unacceptable.

go figure, but that's how I've seen it play out and that's how it played out in this case.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ReelGatorDoc;n204467 said:
Seems to me it's more of a "double standard" than anything. That's when one group is held to a different standard that another, period.

Blacks feel they can say this in "jest" and move on, when whites say this, it's racism and totally unacceptable.

go figure, but that's how I've seen it play out and that's how it played out in this case.

it's always how it plays out, and probably always will be

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
somewhere rick james is smiling widely with his feet on a couch...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n204509 said:
somewhere rick james is smiling widely with his feet on a couch...

That would be somewhere other than here. He's dead.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
"Can't say that."

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n204082 said:
Probably more likely he is no longer a UK student and will go to the NBA.

... and Kaminsky will graduate with a good grade point average. And an NBA ending injury won't block Kaminsky's
degreed career.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n204328 said:
To play devil's advocate then there was no proof that Riley Cooper was a bigot. He was just drunk with his friends and said something that he didn't think anyone else would be hear. So why the diffrent treatment? In order to wipeout racism we must ensure that one we don't call everything we disagee with racist, and when that word is used in a public forum the peson who used it should be villafited no metter the color. This way we ensure that it taken serious. I mean hell we have that "That's Racist" icon to make fun of the matter because it has become a punch-line. The racecard is thrown around way too much now a days, and do I think Harrison said this in a racist manner or is racist? No!!! However it shouldn't be brushed off because "that is just a word that young blackmen use everyday there is no harm in that." That is BS you at least call him out on it saying that you shouldn't mutter that word in public and educate him on why.

Not sure if you're still playing devil's advocate or not, but I seem to remember saying Harrison is in the wrong multiple times. And Riley's situation was a little bit different. Even IF we agreed that he said the same thing as Harrison, the undertone of Cooper's statement was much more violent. He basically said that he wanted to assault a group of people. Racist or not, that in itself is pretty bad.

I was just making the distinction between what Harrison did and the hypothetical scenario of the tables being turned and Kaminsky calling him a "n.igger". They just aren't the same. Given the CONTEXT, they would BOTH be wrong to mumble under your breath. But, again, one word is probably the most offensive slur in our culture and the other word is the reappropriated form of the word which was created to take the power away from that slur (this isn't the only reappropriated word in our language...look up the others if you want).

I'm completely sincere when I say that it's a tough concept to grasp and a lot people may disagree with what I'm saying. Maybe I have a unique perspective on this situation because I am a black man. Do I like that either word is used? No. But, if you never wanted black people to start using the word "n.igga", you'd probably have to invent a time machine and eradicate the word "n.igger" from the English language. I wish NEITHER word existed, but because of history, it's just not that simple.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n204716 said:
Not sure if you're still playing devil's advocate or not, but I seem to remember saying Harrison is in the wrong multiple times. And Riley's situation was a little bit different. Even IF we agreed that he said the same thing as Harrison, the undertone of Cooper's statement was much more violent. He basically said that he wanted to assault a group of people. Racist or not, that in itself is pretty bad.

I was just making the distinction between what Harrison did and the hypothetical scenario of the tables being turned and Kaminsky calling him a "n.igger". They just aren't the same. Given the CONTEXT, they would BOTH be wrong to mumble under your breath. But, again, one word is probably the most offensive slur in our culture and the other word is the reappropriated form of the word which was created to take the power away from that slur (this isn't the only reappropriated word in our language...look up the others if you want).

I'm completely sincere when I say that it's a tough concept to grasp and a lot people may disagree with what I'm saying. Maybe I have a unique perspective on this situation because I am a black man. Do I like that either word is used? No. But, if you never wanted black people to start using the word "n.igga", you'd probably have to invent a time machine and eradicate the word "n.igger" from the English language. I wish NEITHER word existed, but because of history, it's just not that simple.

if ****** and nigga are different, then I have a question. What's the difference between asking a question and aksing a question? Just so I can educate myself a bit. Also, what is the difference between being a person of color and a colored person? Because I need to know if I'm a person of UF or just a Gator.

LCGATOR

Jul 1, 2014
Very well played alcoholica
murray_upvote.gif

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
alcoholica;n204801 said:
if ****** and nigga are different, then I have a question. What's the difference between asking a question and aksing a question? Just so I can educate myself a bit. Also, what is the difference between being a person of color and a colored person? Because I need to know if I'm a person of UF or just a Gator.
It is obvious what you are now.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
alcoholica;n204801 said:

I'm sorry but the use of the word n.igger, and all of its variations, and the description of how it/they came to be is getting so watered down and misconstrued.

Alcoholica nailed it.

Plain.

Simple.

Over.

So if a certain group doesn't like the use of the word from a different group than perhaps the first group should stop using the word pejoratively, friendly, sarcastically, in song, etc all together.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
heversle;n204716 said:

If you are saying Harrison is in the wrong then we are not too far off on being congruent on this issue. My point is that there cannot be a double standard. In order to wipe out racism we must work together on it. By not condemning one person because he is of a different skin pigmentation than another should not be used as a defense. The word brings out a lot of bad feelings to a lot of people. By allowing one person to say that word, the possibility exists for others to validate using that word no matter their skin color. Although that person too can be using in jest, it may not come of in that tone. That is all my point is. With everything going on in the world today there is way too much hate from religion to race. Yes we all need to grow thicker skin and let less bother us; however when you have people that make millions of dollars a year to perpetuate a false narrative to rile up their base and scream discrimination at every corner a simple mutter of a word in jest can cause more issues. This is why we should not allow words like this to be uttered in public without making a statement on their impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb