Harvard Faces DOJ Probe Over Affirmative-Action Policies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gatoravatara, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Gatoravatara

Gatoravatara Protaganista

Oxbucks:
    $213
    Ratings:
    +1,454 / -205

If you really believe this, then you believe we should not have a football team. What was the average SAT score of our players? Do you even want to know?

2. Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $261
    Ratings:
    +4,235 / -66
    I can live with true equal admission standards but I would cut back big time on the slots they are giving to foreign students.

3. Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $261
    Ratings:
    +4,235 / -66
    According to Morgan Freeman Jews as a sub group have the highest IQ on average followed by Far East Asians then non-Jew Caucasions. I wonder if Jews get discriminated against in admission policies?

4. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $148
    Ratings:
    +6,697 / -9
    So does UF... you don't even provide a HS transcript until accepted based on whole package.

5. Traumagirl

Traumagirl Taken

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +208 / -10
    Diversity plays a part too. Academic scholarships, since they reward, well, academics, should be based on grades and Sat's as should admission unless you have a special talent. Which also has value be it sports, or drama, or writing, or the other plethora of scholarships available to educate those with special talents.

6. Traumagirl

Traumagirl Taken

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +208 / -10
    Noone check IQ so no.

7. Traumagirl

Traumagirl Taken

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +208 / -10
    They consider transcripts also. If you are in on a baseball scholarship they will consider it less, than if you are getting in just to pursue a degree. For that self reported GPA, Sat's obtained directly, then other factors that make you well rounded.

http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/apply/freshman/

8. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $148
    Ratings:
    +6,697 / -9
    Yes, I understand all that, I have a kid there. They do not even ask for your transcript (just self reported GPA) until AFTER accepting you, mainly because GPAs are now worthless.

9. Traumagirl

Traumagirl Taken

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +208 / -10
    I don't think they are worthless. Case in point, have a kid that blew out the sats at 13, math prodigy. Could give two sh.ts about school except I make him because he loves drama, where all his attention goes. I do think GPA matters, because he can be smart enough to ace the sats at 13 since its math and reading that does not mean he has the fortitude to turn in paper on time. Conversely you can go to a small school or home school and have a 4.3 but no ability to get through college math if you flunk Sats. All should, in my opinion, be considered.