'He's God disguised as Michael Jordan'

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Another reason MJ was so freaking amazing. He was a true two-way player.. His defense was underrated.
Probably more overshadowed by his scoring exploits than anything. He made the All-Defensive Team eight times and was Defensive Player of the Year in 1987-88, the same year he led the league in scoring at 35.0 ppg.

What amazes me more is his being named league MVP only five times. There are probably three to five more he should have had.

The media plays this ridiculous game of trying to spread it out. No way Barkley deserved it over him in 1992-93 or Karl Malone in 1996-97 and 1997-98.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You know what always astounded me? His shooting percentages, almost always over 50%. This wasn’t a big man shooting hooks in the paint, he took difficult shots. No other modern day scoring guard can touch those percentages.

And that’s back in the days when they could hammer you.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Guys who've practiced with him marvel at the mechanics and sound fundamentals. His jump shot form is near flawless, feet almost always set properly, at the apex, cupped perfectly, wrist flick, smooth follow-through.

_9ey64.gif

He can probably credit a lot of that to the only man to ever hold him under 20 points. Dean Smith.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, note a resemblance?

394dbe7737c660d9faa5651797a69d1b--kobe-bryant-michael-jordan-basketball-association.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, note a resemblance?

394dbe7737c660d9faa5651797a69d1b--kobe-bryant-michael-jordan-basketball-association.jpg
There's an example of what I was saying earlier, a comparison to a player a lot of people thought was similar, Kobe Bryant. Bryant was maybe half the player of Jordan.

Career FG% Jordan: 50.5%
Career FG% Bryant: 44.7%

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Michael hated Krause, went out of his way to denigrate him. Coined the nickname Crumbs. Others called him Sleuth because he fancied himself a great judge of talent after working as a baseball scout.
You read that thick book, too. I have three on the guy now and he was exactly what Ox said. Talent and work ethic and driven. Bird had the same mindset. Great ones transcend their talent and make their team mates better.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You know what always astounded me? His shooting percentages, almost always over 50%. This wasn’t a big man shooting hooks in the paint, he took difficult shots. No other modern day scoring guard can touch those percentages.

And that’s back in the days when they could hammer you.

Kobe had nothing on MJ, nothing.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, note a resemblance?

The "L" has been around for a long time. I can't credit MJ for that. Dude is transcendental...the GOAT, no doubt...but those mechanics have been around for a long long time. Jump shot 101.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The "L" has been around for a long time. I can't credit MJ for that. Dude is transcendental...the GOAT, no doubt...but those mechanics have been around for a long long time. Jump shot 101.
No question. Just pointing out that MJ has it down pat.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

This is why Jordan is the GOAT. LeBron is the greatest of this generation, but he can't hold Jordan's jockstrap. Despite all his physical gifts, he would have been completely psychologically dominated by Jordan if he played in the same era. He would have made it his personal mission to embarrass him any chance he got. We've never seen a competitor like him that thrived in the biggest moments and we probably never will again. Absolute assassin.

Kareem is the only basketball player that has a legitimate argument to be considered as good or better than Jordan if you take into account his body of work. He was dominant at every level and has a resume unlike anyone else that has ever played the game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You read that thick book, too. I have three on the guy now and he was exactly what Ox said. Talent and work ethic and driven. Bird had the same mindset. Great ones transcend their talent and make their team mates better.
Which one? I've read several, including The Jordan Rules by former Chicago Tribune NBA writer Sam Smith, where he describes Jordan as maniacally driven, a complete autocrat in the locker room and merciless toward those he disliked and competed against.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, Jordan was famous for punching his OWN teammates during practice.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Steve Kerr.

He once blew up at Doug Collins for rearranging practice lineups in order that Jordan's team could never win. He was intentionally getting under his skin, though I'm not clear why.

Collins. What a Wiley coyote.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Deciding Game 5 of the '89 Eastern Conference first round, the sixth-seed Bulls against a very talented third-seed Cavs team that had swept the season series 6-0.

Jordan was the subject of severe Chicago media criticism after the Game 4 loss because, in spite of his 50 points, he missed key free throws down the stretch that allowed the Cavs to win. He took it hard.

Cleveland went up by one in the decider after a Craig Ehlo layup with three seconds left. Everyone in the building knew what was coming. Jordan was double-teamed by Ehlo and Larry Nance on the inbounds. He moved right, cut hard left and received the inbounds from Brad Sellers.

What happened next will be forever remembered as The Shot.

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.