Historic Performance by Madison Bumgarner

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't pretend to be a big Major League Baseball fan but I always drop in the Post Season especially the World Series. This year I was privileged to witness a banner page of baseball history written by the Ruthesque accomplishments of San Francisco pitcher, Madison Bumgarner. This arguably could rank with outstanding championship series individual performances by the likes of Joe Montana, Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky.

Wikipedia

On October 31, 2010 Bumgarner pitched eight shutout innings in Game 4 of the 2010 World Series, becoming the fourth-youngest pitcher to start and win a World Series game, as well as the youngest to make a scoreless start of six innings or more

Bmgarner pitched seven scoreless innings and struck out eight in Game 2 of the 2012 World Series on October 25. Bumgarner became the first pitcher to begin his World Series career with 15 scoreless innings since Bruce Hurst did so in 1986.

On October 11, in Game 1 of the NLCS, by tossing 7 2/3 shutout innings against the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium, Bumgarner set a new, all-time MLB pitching record for postseason consecutive scoreless innings on the road, with 26 2/3. In doing so he broke the 90-year-old record held by fellow Giant, Art Nehf. For his performance, he was named NLCS MVP.[42]

On October 26, in Game 5, Bumgarner threw a 4-hit complete game shutout. He set all-time MLB records for lowest World Series ERA (0.29) among pitchers of at least 25 innings pitched, and was the first pitcher in Series history to pitch a shutout with no walks and at least eight strikeouts.[44]

On October 29, in Game 7, with two days rest, Bumgarner pitched five scoreless innings in relief to win the final game of the 2014 World Series. He was named the 2014 World Series MVP. By winning Game 7, Bumgarner became the first pitcher since Lew Burdette in 1957 to win three games in a World Series.

His ERA in the 2014 World Series was .43, and he brought his career World Series era to .26 – lower than any other pitcher with at least three starts
No one with at least 25 innings has had a lower ERA in the 110 years of the World Series.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/giants-take-world-series-beat-kansas-city-3-2-in-game-7/

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Dude simply won the WS. He saw 20+ Innings to the rest of the rotations 16.5 Innings. Total domination.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Alvin. You are not part of this community. NO ONE wants you here. Get lost.

I don't understand why we allow this ass to stay here

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
They should pretty much just give him the trophy and all the rings, because that series doesn't make it six games without him.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Have been a Giants fan slightly longer than I've been a Gator fan ('62 versus '65).They are the only two sports teams I invest energy in supporting these days. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last five years of SF baseball after decades of futility. I am especially a fan of Bumgarner as he is a local kid, from just an hour away in Western North Carolina.

I saw him pitch a game during his senior year in high school when he was a highly touted prospect. He was actually the losing pitcher in that game but he hit the longest home run I've ever seen by a high schooler. A bomb that left the yard in an instant. Even though he gave up a couple of runs he was clearly a man among boys as related to talent and potential. I was pleased to see him drafted by the Giants and it's been exciting to see his career blossom and especially his World Series dominance in all three title runs.

I don't care about where Bumgarner's performance rates in baseball history or whether the Giants are a "dynasty" or not. I'm just enjoying a third title in five years.

Maillot Jaune

Oct 14, 2014
Since65;n93997 said:
Have been a Giants fan slightly longer than I've been a Gator fan ('62 versus '65).They are the only two sports teams I invest energy in supporting these days. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last five years of SF baseball after decades of futility. I am especially a fan of Bumgarner as he is a local kid, from just an hour away in Western North Carolina.

I saw him pitch a game during his senior year in high school when he was a highly touted prospect. He was actually the losing pitcher in that game but he hit the longest home run I've ever seen by a high schooler. A bomb that left the yard in an instant. Even though he gave up a couple of runs he was clearly a man among boys as related to talent and potential. I was pleased to see him drafted by the Giants and it's been exciting to see his career blossom and especially his World Series dominance in all three title runs.

I don't care about where Bumgarner's performance rates in baseball history or whether the Giants are a "dynasty" or not. I'm just enjoying a third title in five years.

3 titles in 5 years is a dynasty in today's free agent game. I thought Lester was dominant last year, but the show by Bumgarner was really remarkable. He would have been the winning pitcher had they chosen to start him. Mickey Lolich like.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n93997 said:

As much as a one man army Tour de Force Bumgarner was San Francisco does not win the series without outstanding heroics by other members of the team In game 7. 3rd baseman Pablo Sandoval hit every KC pitcher, was a rock defensively and made a key base running play, There was the pitcher who came into to get 3 good innings after the starting pitcher was hit out of the box. Perhaps the play of the game and series was rookie 2nd baseman, Joe Panik, running down that shot up the middle and flipping to the shortstop for a bang bang double play. If he doesn't stop that sure single the Royals have men on first and third with no outs instead of the bases cleared with 2 outs. Don't forget the There was also the player (I don't know his name) who got 2 critical RBI's for Frisco.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Born2beagator;n93879 said:

cyberbully

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Alvin York;n94115 said:
As much as a one man army Tour de Force Bumgarner was San Francisco does not win the series without outstanding heroics by other members of the team In game 7. 3rd baseman Pablo Sandoval hit every KC pitcher, was a rock defensively and made a key base running play, There was the pitcher who came into to get 3 good innings after the starting pitcher was hit out of the box. Perhaps the play of the game and series was rookie 2nd baseman, Joe Panik, running down that shot up the middle and flipping to the shortstop for a bang bang double play. If he doesn't stop that sure single the Royals have men on first and third with no outs instead of the bases cleared with 2 outs. Don't forget the There was also the player (I don't know his name) who got 2 critical RBI's for Frisco.

You are correct that the Giants had lots of contributors throughout the playoffs. Affeld's role last night was overshadowed by Bumgarner but was vital to keeping them in the game early on. Ishikawa won the NLCS with a walk-off homer versus Cards. Backup leftfielder Perez had a couple of key hits and defensive plays. Second base had been a black hole this season until they called up Panik early in the summer. While they have some star players they seem to be more a sum of the parts, especially in the postseason. For me they have been a fun team to root for, made up of good guys.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
The only time I think about baseball is when I am bumpin uglies with my wife.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, there's one unhappy 5 year old that doesn't much care for MadBum.
This photo was taken while picking my son up from Kindergarten, prior to Game 6.

Attachments

• conv_1210.jpg
    conv_1210.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 41

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
GatorBart;n94255 said:
Well, there's one unhappy 5 year old that doesn't much care for MadBum.
This photo was taken while picking my son up from Kindergarten, prior to Game 6.

That's a great picture. Tell him to keep the faith! I was rooting for the Giants when I was his age and had to wait about 45 years for a World Series title! I'll bet his Royals win one sooner than that!

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Born2beagator;n93879 said:

Excessive and uncalled-for.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Wow. Gator fans defending the worst Vols fan that has ever been on a gator board. For shame.

Nothing is excessive when it comes to the chipmunk. He has his own board. He needs to stay there.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I actually like having alvin around. When hes not trolling hes actually pretty decent, and when he is trolling its funny because they suck worse than us.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In this day of arrogant self centered sports celebrities (Jameis Winston, Johnny Manziel ect) who behave like they're entitled to live and gloat outside the law and society we get to see and enjoy a rare superstar sports hero who appears to be humble ans self depreciating.

PS
Just like Alvin and Raylen he's a Southern boy, a Hillbilly from the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, for God's sake. :) Cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.