Historical collapse by Green Bay

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n154084 said:
Sounds like Zook should be promoted then.

Zook is bad at coaching a lot of areas, but he was a good special teams coach for the Gators and the Steelers. I wouldn't want him being my head coach or defensive coordinator.

Dec 10, 2014
oxrageous;n154096 said:
My point is, coaches like McCarthy are what's wrong with the NFL, and are why I started preferring college ball over pro ball about 10 years ago. The truth is, at least 80% of NFL coaches have the same conservative, not-to-lose mindset as McCarthy. He has the best QB on planet Earth and calls a game like he's got Driskel back there. The Broncos just fired their version of McCarthy, John Fox - who of course is immediately and eagerly gobbled up by the Bears. It's maddening and embarrassing.

That was easily in the top 10 of the worst called games I've ever seen. It should have been over at halftime.

I don't want to be outed ... yet

I think your logic is flawed. I'm a die-hard Packers fan. Rodgers (until the last drive) played terrible that game. McCarthy couldn't rely on him. The Packers went into a game where they were underdogs and into an environment that is the nastiest in the NFL and should have won. I give McCarthy kudos. He can't help the botched special teams play. He can't really do much about the absolute unlikely two-point conversion. The fake field goal is on him for sure. Other than that, he's an unusually bad Rodgers and poor punting away from being in the Super Bowl. McCarthy is maybe regarded as the second best coach in the NFL. I honestly don't think he was the problem in that game. Trust me Ox. That game and the FSU game (and LSU) have taken everything out of me football wise. There's blame to go around, but I don't think it's on McCarthy.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
McCarthy should be fired. Seattle turned the ball over 5 times and the Pack only scored 6 points off of those turnovers. That is pathetic.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n154096 said:
My point is, coaches like McCarthy are what's wrong with the NFL, and are why I started preferring college ball over pro ball about 10 years ago. The truth is, at least 80% of NFL coaches have the same conservative, not-to-lose mindset as McCarthy. He has the best QB on planet Earth and calls a game like he's got Driskel back there. The Broncos just fired their version of McCarthy, John Fox - who of course is immediately and eagerly gobbled up by the Bears. It's maddening and embarrassing.

That was easily in the top 10 of the worst called games I've ever seen. It should have been over at halftime.
McCarthy is normally not like that...especially not this year. He's gone for 4th and 1 from the goal line quite a few times over the years and this year is no different. What may be even sadder is the success rate this year is practically 0 which is probably why he settled for the 3 in this game. He coached a different game yesterday than he normally does. he has had times where he goes ultra conservative which can be mind boggling because he's not always like that...kind of unpredictable and frustrating.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n154106 said:
I don't want to be outed ... yet

I think your logic is flawed. I'm a die-hard Packers fan. Rodgers (until the last drive) played terrible that game. McCarthy couldn't rely on him. The Packers went into a game where they were underdogs and into an environment that is the nastiest in the NFL and should have won. I give McCarthy kudos. He can't help the botched special teams play. He can't really do much about the absolute unlikely two-point conversion. The fake field goal is on him for sure. Other than that, he's an unusually bad Rodgers and poor punting away from being in the Super Bowl. McCarthy is maybe regarded as the second best coach in the NFL. I honestly don't think he was the problem in that game. Trust me Ox. That game and the FSU game (and LSU) have taken everything out of me football wise. There's blame to go around, but I don't think it's on McCarthy.
Even Rodgers himself has criticized the play calling. The game was ultimately lost when Green Bay got inside the 1 yard line TWICE in the first quarter and kicked FG's. They deserved to lose just for that. McCarthy is going to take heat the entire offseason and he deserves it. Now we all have to watch the insufferable Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n154084 said:
Sounds like Zook should be promoted then.

Except that he has 2 responsibilities - defending fake field goals and onside kicks.

Oops.

Dec 10, 2014
oxrageous;n154113 said:
Even Rodgers himself has criticized the play calling. The game was ultimately lost when Green Bay got inside the 1 yard line TWICE in the first quarter and kicked FG's. They deserved to lose just for that. McCarthy is going to take heat the entire offseason and he deserves it. Now we all have to watch the insufferable Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

But it's a chicken and egg thing. Rodgers (in my opinion) necessitated the play calling. Rodgers missed at least two wide-open and easy TD passes. His timing was off all day. He played unRodgers like. I don't foresee McCarthy taking any heat. Next year is the Packers' year. If he can't win it then, the heat will start.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BNAG8R;n154116 said:
Except that he has 2 responsibilities - defending fake field goals and onside kicks.

Oops.

was that his job, or the actual special teams coach job?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n153931 said:
You're such dick

luigi.gif

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n154109 said:
McCarthy should be fired. Seattle turned the ball over 5 times and the Pack only scored 6 points off of those turnovers. That is pathetic.
That's the most amazing part. And Wilson almost cost them the game at the end when he threw the high lob on the 2-point conversion. If a DB had managed to step in front of that he would've been gone.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
PastyStoole;n154179 said:
That's the most amazing part. And Wilson almost cost them the game at the end when he threw the high lob on the 2-point conversion. If a DB had managed to step in front of that he would've been gone.

Exactly what I said when watching it. How does Clinton-Dix make the other plays(one basically a 1-handed pick), yet fails to make a play on that rainbow pass. And that would've been 2 points the other way(I believe), which would've forced Seattle to attempt another onside kick to try and retake the lead. Not sure the likelihood of that, meaning that a pick-6 there probably ends it for GB. Stupid decision by Wilson, and epic fail by HHCD.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n154187 said:
Exactly what I said when watching it. How does Clinton-Dix make the other plays(one basically a 1-handed pick), yet fails to make a play on that rainbow pass. And that would've been 2 points the other way(I believe), which would've forced Seattle to attempt another onside kick to try and retake the lead. Not sure the likelihood of that, meaning that a pick-6 there probably ends it for GB. Stupid decision by Wilson, and epic fail by HHCD.

Clinton-Dix completely misread that ball. Just a string of horrible plays for Green Bay in those final 5 mins.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n154187 said:

Yep, he would have gotten the lead back for GB if he had picked it, because nobody would have caught him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Even if he had just batted down the damn ball, Green Bay would have WON the game with that final FG, not tied. What a cluster---- it all was.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n154130 said:
But it's a chicken and egg thing. Rodgers (in my opinion) necessitated the play calling. Rodgers missed at least two wide-open and easy TD passes. His timing was off all day. He played unRodgers like. I don't foresee McCarthy taking any heat. Next year is the Packers' year. If he can't win it then, the heat will start.
You live and die with your superstars. If Rodgers had wet the bed, so be it. You put the ball into the hands of your best players and let them make plays. He's the freaking NFL MVP, for God's sake. What McCarthy did was like having Bill Cartwright take the last-second shot and using Michael Jordan as a decoy, because MJ wasn't shooting that great.

I'd take an Aaron Rodgers even at 10% of his abilities from six inches away from the goal line. Hell, Eddie Lacy can get that six inches 99 times out of 100, There was no excuse for kicking those field goals. Those bother me the most.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The game reminded me so much of our game against the Semis. All of those early turnovers and only managed a few field goals. Then the HC tries to win the game with defense the rest of the way. :facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.