Homeowners and Auto Insurance

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I currently have both policies through Allstate, but they have royally pissed me off and so I am leaving. I was just curious who everyone is using. Nothing more than curiosity. You dont have to go into the specifics of the policies or anything.

I'll throw all my recent quotes out there for you (apples to apples policies).

6 month Auto:
Amica $1172
Liberty Mutual $954
StateFarm $926
Allstate $732 (currently have)
FloridaFarm $714 (originally $804, but reduces with a combined homeowners)
Geico $522
Progressive $427

Florida Homeowners:
Liberty Mutual $2400
Allstate $1486 (currently have)
Florida Farm $1462
Progressive $1010 (actually... this policy is WAY beefed up... $1,000,000 in liability and a $1000 hurricane deductible). A side-by-side is $715)
People's Trust $850

Flo is working hard for my business.
1428327910-01-stephanie-courtney.jpg

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I don't recall what we're paying, but we have Home + Auto combined with StateFarm and been very happy for over a decade. Good support from the local agent, and help on things that aren't claimed but need to know who to trust for out-of-pocket repairs.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What kinds of coverages are you talking with the auto insurance. Much of that is pretty damn cheap.

We had Progressive, but just switched to Travelers and are saving more than $40/month in comparison.

Unfortunately my wife had an accident in 2015 which is influencing our rates still.
Generally speaking, it's good to look around every few years.

I will say Progressive was good in dealing with the accident she had, and the rate was much better before the wreck.

We have renters insurance since we don't own, and that is technically through Geico, but it gets shipped out to someone else, can't recall who right now.

Used to have State Farm for auto insurance for the longest time, but their prices got astronomical, for no reason, had to leave, though they do have great service. I do still have a life insurance policy with them though.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
USAA doesn't provide motorcycle insurance but they outsource it directly to Progressive. I've had to use it twice and they were great.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
I got liberty mutual,but i think they are overcharging me,will be in the market soon myself

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
150px-State-farm-logo.svg.png

I've dealt with a few over the years and State Farm's customer service blows the others out of the water, IMO. I wouldn't even dream of changing. SF rates may be a little higher, but you get what you pay for. I've dealt with Geico (auto) before and would not recommend them to anyone (again, you get what you pay for).

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I have all insurance through Liberty Mutual (three autos, home owners and rental) and have had several auto claims as well as a couple of roadside assistance events.
I've found them (and their website / phone app) to be great and the overall experience has been positive.

I've looked at a possible change to either SF or Progressive but haven't made the effort.
Unless I see a drastic difference in cost - I'm sticking with what I've got.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Have Florida farm for both and happy. 800 for six months on two SUV. They put our home through Florida peninsula which is owned by them. 1200 a year and all benefits of farm bureau

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have Allstate for both. When I bought my house in the summer they had the best combined rate of anyone and it wasn't really close.
I could have beat the price on the vehicle policy, but not the house alone, and the total savings more than makes up for the little extra I pay on the cars.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So all those quotes I posted in the OP were from me contacting that company directly. I had a good friend convince me to call an independent agent... which I really didnt want to do. But she was very nice on the phone. She claims she can go through many dozens of companies and options (including those companies I have previously contacted). So I have 2 questions:
1) If I choose an option she throws at me.... how does this woman get paid or make money?
2) I am really curious to see what her quotes are from the same companies that I already have quotes from. (I guess that really isnt a question)

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So all those quotes I posted in the OP were from me contacting that company directly. I had a good friend convince me to call an independent agent... which I really didnt want to do. But she was very nice on the phone. She claims she can go through many dozens of companies and options (including those companies I have previously contacted). So I have 2 questions:
1) If I choose an option she throws at me.... how does this woman get paid or make money?
2) I am really curious to see what her quotes are from the same companies that I already have quotes from. (I guess that really isnt a question)

They get paid either by a service fee, or it is rolled into the payment, either the "down payment" or all monthly payments.
I suppose they could also get sweetheart deals with various carriers, however I'm not sure I buy that. My wife used to use an independent broker and it was really no cheaper. Also, this would mean they funnel customers to whomever offers the best sweetheart deal (or more likely the one that offers them the beat kickback).
You'd also have to look at the specifics of the plan. Are they putting you in a lower plan to save you money, but reducing your coverage or increasing your deductibles.

It's probably better to get quotes directly from each carrier, though tedious and will reward you with a lot of annoying "pick us" emails, I found that to be better.
I used consumer reports to review quality of service, cost satisfaction, etc, and then just went down the line getting quotes.

Far and away, USAA ranks at the top of that list, but we can't get coverage with them.

You can probably also use other methods to research the carriers with available coverages in Florida though.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AllState sucks but we are stuck with them since they have our umbrella policy and force us to have home owners and auto with them.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
USAA for auto, Tower Hill for home based on extenuating circumstances. Would rather have that with USAA, too, but isn't possible at the moment. Been a USAA member for over 20 years. Solid rates and solid service and very fair minded when it comes to paying claims.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They get paid either by a service fee, or it is rolled into the payment, either the "down payment" or all monthly payments.
I suppose they could also get sweetheart deals with various carriers, however I'm not sure I buy that. My wife used to use an independent broker and it was really no cheaper. Also, this would mean they funnel customers to whomever offers the best sweetheart deal (or more likely the one that offers them the beat kickback).
You'd also have to look at the specifics of the plan. Are they putting you in a lower plan to save you money, but reducing your coverage or increasing your deductibles.

It's probably better to get quotes directly from each carrier, though tedious and will reward you with a lot of annoying "pick us" emails, I found that to be better.
I used consumer reports to review quality of service, cost satisfaction, etc, and then just went down the line getting quotes.

Far and away, USAA ranks at the top of that list, but we can't get coverage with them.

You can probably also use other methods to research the carriers with available coverages in Florida though.

Getting down to the fine details and comparing a true exact policy comparison with auto and home through progressive (direct) vs progressive (agent).... the agent would cost $500 more a year. I honestly see no value an agent could provide. Matter of fact.... it was THE Allstate agent who I am royally pissed at and want to punch in the face.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Getting down to the fine details and comparing a true exact policy comparison with auto and home through progressive (direct) vs progressive (agent).... the agent would cost $500 more a year. I honestly see no value an agent could provide. Matter of fact.... it was THE Allstate agent who I am royally pissed at and want to punch in the face.
They really don't provide much these days except removing the hassle of searching and the endless emails and snail mail mailings. That simply isn't worth their cost, however, not with today's technology.

What happened with Allstate?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

97cb3a98fb9279070609ff67a233114b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.