How bad is coaching in the SEC?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It will be bad until we start beating the ACC and some others mostly unlike the past 2 years then the coaches will be considered the top ones again like they were going into 2014.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It will more than likely remain that way until Saban retires.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If so many of those Bama-boys were more spread across the league, other SEC HC's W-L records would be improved.
.... and, and Grier, there's that.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The head coaching is the SEC is at a modern day all time low. it is the ONLY reason why there is a debate as to which conference is the best now. For the same reason why the Big 10 was so horrendous years ago b/c their best programs were littered with awful coaches like John Cooper at OSU, Gary Moeller, Lloyd Carr, Brady Hoke at Mich., Hayden Fry at Iowa, George Perles at MSU, etc.etc. Exactly why Barry Alvarez was able to get WISC to the top so easily. Now you have 1 great coach in the SEC. In the SEC East you have only 1 IMO, that can be considered decent (the guy at Vandy) and the other 6 suck dogballs. In the west you have an argument that some may be okay, but having to butt heads against the king make them seem less than they probably are. So based on the talent to coaching ratio I would say the SEC has the worst head coaching of the major conferences by far.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A couple of those ACC coaches were booted out of the SEC I think like Richt. Miles was just booted also. This list is kind of slanted due to that and the Rose Bowl mostly being a BIG10/PAC12 affair meaning one is getting a win there every year usually.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
A couple of those ACC coaches were booted out of the SEC I think like Richt. Miles was just booted also. This list is kind of slanted due to that and the Rose Bowl mostly being a BIG10/PAC12 affair meaning one is getting a win there every year usually.

A lot of truth here. It's bad right now, no debate. But it has been Saban's conference since Dec 6(?) 2009, and that includes 4-5 years of Richt, Miles and Franklin and Spurrier, and a few with Meyer and Petrino as well.

It's certainly a one pony show at this point, but really not all that different than the 90's with Spurrier running things, and Fulmer and Stallings battling for second place scraps on our "off years".

I'd also point out that while it definitely appears that both uga and lsu have taken steps back, they still have unknowns at their HC positions, as do we. I seriously doubt all three turn out to be good, but we don't actually know exactly what they/we have just yet.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Auburn might take down Bama in the West this season with that new QB. They probably lose a game somewhere but a Bama win would give them the west if they keep it to one SEC loss.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I think Auburn might take down Bama in the West this season with that new QB. They probably lose a game somewhere but a Bama win would give them the west if they keep it to one SEC loss.
Yeah teams know how to beat bama now. Keep Hurts in the pocket. Things could get interesting in T-town if they start to struggle on offense

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He can be beaten, just takes a school to hiring a good coach instead of someone associated with Alabama and trying to copy them.

Agree. What's even more mind numbing is that it's been proven time and again that what gives him the most trouble is a mobile QB that can hurt them with his legs, in a dynamic offense. Manziel, Cam, Watson, Tebow, Kelly, even the kid from Aub. All in spread, exciting offenses. (This is really true with Fisher and the noles as well)

Yet Saban somehow Jedi mindtricks these programs into this idea that the only way to beat him is line up and play his game, the one thing that's almost never successful against him. It's bizarre.

Still think he's the best in the business and will likely dominate until he decides to hang it up. But with the right coach, and with the right offense, he can definitely be challenged regularly. Even with all his success and his 5 titles, he's only had 1 unbeaten season. It can be done, and we should be the obvious choice to do it.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Hard to say as Bama seems to not like to open things up hardly at all when playing LSU usually.
Clemson started doing this in the second half with their blitz packages and pash rush lanes, limiting his ability to "take off" seemed to work for them. I don't think Hurst will last long as the starter this year. He's learning a new offense that requires a lot of defensive reads. So I think he struggles, especially against the Nolies and that will throw off his entire season as it will get in his head...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator