How bad is coaching in the SEC?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. What's even more mind numbing is that it's been proven time and again that what gives him the most trouble is a mobile QB that can hurt them with his legs, in a dynamic offense. Manziel, Cam, Watson, Tebow, Kelly, even the kid from Aub. All in spread, exciting offenses. (This is really true with Fisher and the noles as well)

Fatford threw for 400 yards. Manziel threw for 300. Watson threw for 420. SOS beat them with fvkking Gamecawk talent. Those aren't the products of running QBs. Fatford and Gamecawks QB didn't run. aTm is a spread but it's a pass first spread. Clempson is a spread formation running mostly vertical routes (ala Rodriguez/Tommy Bowden). Pretty much every team except Arky in the west has a a running QB and they all fvkking lose.

Bammer is paper soft vs. the PASS (assuming you can withstand the pass rush). I don't know how it isn't clearly evident to everyone.

Yet Saban somehow Jedi mindtricks these programs into this idea that the only way to beat him is line up and play his game, the one thing that's almost never successful against him. It's bizarre.
Bizarre isn't CLOSE to being a strong enough of a word. But it's the product of a bunch of clueless ADs trying to hire Lil Saban clones who also run a 1950s offense.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Bamas weakness is downfield passing and has been for a while. But this requires an oline that can block longer than 2 seconds. Teams that pass downfield on bama win.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fatford threw for 400 yards. Manziel threw for 300. Watson threw for 420. SOS beat them with fvkking Gamecawk talent. Those aren't the products of running QBs. Fatford and Gamecawks QB didn't run. aTm is a spread but it's a pass first spread. Clempson is a spread formation running mostly vertical routes (ala Rodriguez/Tommy Bowden). Pretty much every team except Arky in the west has a a running QB and they all fvkking lose.

Bammer is paper soft vs. the PASS (assuming you can withstand the pass rush). I don't know how it isn't clearly evident to everyone.

Bizarre isn't CLOSE to being a strong enough of a word. But it's the product of a bunch of clueless ADs trying to hire Lil Saban clones who also run a 1950s offense.

So we're totally dismissing Manziel's 32 rushes for 190 yards in those 2 games? I'm sure several were broken plays and avoiding sacks, but his mobility was without question a major factor.

Watson, 41 rushes for 116 yards in 2 games? No bearing on their success?

Should I really continue? Yes Spurrier won an isolated game with Garcia, largely because he's Spurrier. Stafford was playing from a massive hole in a blowout loss and has a rare arm. I'd be shocked if he puts up those numbers in a tighter game.

I'm not saying we should go run-first on offense. But minimizing the QB's mobility in these games is absurd.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well 8 of the 14 coaches have 5 or less years of head coaching experience. Throw in the fact that some of the more tenured coaches are in Mississippi schools and UT hasn't hired a good coach in decades, then yes, that stat is not surprising.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bamas weakness is downfield passing and has been for a while. But this requires an oline that can block longer than 2 seconds. Teams that pass downfield on bama win.
Because they put their corners on an island and dline is built to stop the run.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When a school like LSU hires a colossal fool like Ed O as their HC, the conference takes a beating.

Imagine a coach like Peterson or Fuente with that talent? Saban would begin to worry.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So we're totally dismissing Manziel's 32 rushes for 190 yards in those 2 games? I'm sure several were broken plays and avoiding sacks, but his mobility was without question a major factor.

Watson, 41 rushes for 116 yards in 2 games? No bearing on their success
Im saying that their 300-400 yards of passing is the common ingredient and that the 50-85 yards of rushing isnt.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
When a school like LSU hires a colossal fool like Ed O as their HC, the conference takes a beating.

Imagine a coach like Peterson or Fuente with that talent? Saban would begin to worry.

Nonsense. Ed O was a fantastic hire, he's a fantastic coach. They're lucky he was still available and should lock him up for years to come.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nonsense. Ed O was a fantastic hire, he's a fantastic coach. They're lucky he was still available and should lock him up for years to come.
You know, I know your kidding, but he actually scares me more than Les Miles ever did. I think ogre is at least as a strong of a recruiter and still has all the Louisiana recruiting benefits. If he actually allows Canada to run the offense, then they could become a problem for us and the West.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Im saying that their 300-400 yards of passing is the common ingredient and that the 50-85 yards of rushing isnt.

Not sure we're as far apart on this as you think. I'm not debating the passing element of things. But how many of those passing yards were created by a) the QBs threat to run, keeping a safety at bay, and b) the QB eluding defenders and making something happen.

The two absolutely go hand in hand.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You know, I know your kidding, but he actually scares me more than Les Miles ever did. I think ogre is at least as a strong of a recruiter and still has all the Louisiana recruiting benefits. If he actually allows Canada to run the offense, then they could become a problem for us and the West.

I said in my first post, he is still an unknown. It's easy to complete dismiss hm but it doesn't totally mean he's a definitive step down. Time will tell and the OM collapse certainly helps.

I say he's done in 3 though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure we're as far apart on this as you think. I'm not debating the passing element of things. But how many of those passing yards were created by a) the QBs threat to run, keeping a safety at bay, and b) the QB eluding defenders and making something happen.

The two absolutely go hand in hand.
They can, and yet they didnt with Fatford and USCe for sure.

We need an accurafe gamechanging passer. if he happens to be able to run also, great. If not, oh well, that's what the RBs are for.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I said in my first post, he is still an unknown. It's easy to complete dismiss hm but it doesn't totally mean he's a definitive step down. Time will tell and the OM collapse certainly helps.

I say he's done in 3 though.
I suspect you are right but he at least has a chance to do something other than run a 1950s Meatchicken offense.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be surprised if Bama ever wins another game. We have it all figured out right here at GC.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Clemson started doing this in the second half with their blitz packages and pash rush lanes, limiting his ability to "take off" seemed to work for them. I don't think Hurst will last long as the starter this year. He's learning a new offense that requires a lot of defensive reads. So I think he struggles, especially against the Nolies and that will throw off his entire season as it will get in his head...

nope, the University of Alabama student-athletes are recruited based on nothing ever getting into their heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator