How do our players match Kelly's offense?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I actually think we might even see a TE for the first time since Reed other than the few games Grier made the UVA transfer look good.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mariota had 20 or 30 something tds and maybe 5 ints as a frosh.

Franks has a lot of miles to travel to Hit those numbers in his first year with Kelly

REALLY?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I love how we've been complaining about run first coaches the last 2 regimes and we are all thrilled with a coach who is a 60/40 run/pass guy. :lmao2:

Don't get me wrong, I'll be thrilled to see actual points scored again.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I love how we've been complaining about run first coaches the last 2 regimes and we are all thrilled with a coach who is a 60/40 run/pass guy. :lmao2:

I'm thrilled about the high possibility the "lost decade of Gator football" is coming to an end!!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I don't care how much we run or throw. I just want to see an offense that's actually fun to watch for a change. Move the chains. Score points. That's exciting. Not incomplete pass, run for -3, pass for 4, punt, over and over.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Kelly's offense is built on speed. Even in the NFL with Philly he ran a fast offense.

If Kelly is the guy our current players may be in for a rude awakening with conditioning.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Franks plays the role of Marcus Mariota.
I was thinking more Nick Foles. Anyway thigh i think it's too hard to tell what will happen and don't think it's fair to accurately judge any of the players on this team under this **** coaching staff. Amazing things will happen with a Chip Kelly coached team

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
God there's going to be a major meltdown if it's not Kelly. OX may have to close the place for a week. There will be too many posts about members jumping of cliffs bridges and other high places.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There zero chance they could make their block on the stretch runs. Hell they can hardly hit the man lined up on their nose.

TheGatorsRGreat

Banned
BANNED
Nov 13, 2017
I don't know if our players match a Kelly offense. Its a good question. But it isn't as if our players have really shown what offense they match. Obviously they aren't succeeding in the current scheme. Will they be better or worse in a Kelly scheme? Don't know, but my gut is they can't be much worse.

It would be a similar situation that Meyer inherited. If you look back, the offense wasnt highly productive until Tebow took over in year 3. Year 2 of Meyer won a NC based on defense - that defense was insane. Many points were scored on turnovers. The offensive production was mixed at best.

Corral is a pretty athletic guy, and I could see him fitting into a Kelly offense. I suspect Kelly has enough experience and adaptability to make it work. I wonder if even Franks would do better in such an offense. Clearly he isn't a drop back guy that can make a successful progression of reads of whose open, and who isn't. An offense where he runs, and then sometimes he throws a scripted pass may be best for him.

If we currently had a pro-style offense firing on all cylinders, then the OP's question would be of more of a concern. However, given we are firing blanks at the moment, I can't imagine it can be any worse.

The upside is within a year or two people that CAN succeed in a Kelly offense will likely be flocking here.

After Meyer's last year here, I was kind of glad to be getting away from the spread/option scheme. But after 6+ years of nothing, I am looking forward to going back to it. We just aren't going to be a "line of scrimmage" dominant team. I like the idea of getting athletes spread out it open spaces. If it can work for Miss St vs Bama, God knows it ought to be able to work for us.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Well the difference is the aren't runs designed to get 3 yards. They are designed to get TD's.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Chris Leak and Urban were not a swipe right in first glance. Hopefully, superior coaching can build a bridge. However, caveat, Zook could recruit...McElstain couldn't even get full credit when he humped a shark.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
RBs have to have really good vision. There's a hole on every play they just have to find it.
WR's have to hold blocks.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our Players enjoy Scoring Touchdowns, Winning ballgames and kicking ass. I'd say they match up pretty well.
Everyone enjoys thinking about winning. Most dont donwhat it takes to be prepared to become a winner.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
God there's going to be a major meltdown if it's not Kelly. OX may have to close the place for a week. There will be too many posts about members jumping of cliffs bridges and other high places.
Even Ox may have to go into hiding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb