How does Muschamp's severance payout work?

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
There is clearly lots of talk that Muschamp will immediately be in high demand as a Defensive Coordinator at some high profile school. How does his salary package from UF work if he quickly goes to work somewhere else? Will he still be paid the full amount of his contract while coaching another team? Or is it similar to some alimony situations where the payments end when the ex-spouse remarries?

It would seem odd if UF is still paying him the remainder of his contract while he potentially schemes to stop UF's offense should he go to work for a team on the Gators upcoming schedule.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n109446 said:
There is clearly lots of talk that Muschamp will immediately be in high demand as a Defensive Coordinator at some high profile school. How does his salary package from UF work if he quickly goes to work somewhere else? Will he still be paid the full amount of his contract while coaching another team? Or is it similar to some alimony situations where the payments end when the ex-spouse remarries?

It would seem odd if UF is still paying him the remainder of his contract while he potentially schemes to stop UF's offense should he go to work for a team on the Gators upcoming schedule.

Not really sure - he has some recruiting restrictions the first season I think. As far as those contracts I think many times the payout is reduced by what they make at another job they take for the first year or two but I have never seen the details on his contract as far as that goes. A lot of that gets hashed out after the person is fired and knows where he is going to coach at.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not solid-sure, but I've seen somewhere that his severance contract is worded that he gets full-amount, full length
buyout monies no matter if he works elsewhere. ?? You have to go that extra mile to get a "HC in waiting". :)

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n109465 said:
Not solid-sure, but I've seen somewhere that his severance contract is worded that he gets full-amount, full length
buyout monies no matter if he works elsewhere. ??

Possibly - the articles just say he gets 2 million a season left on his contract if fired but usually there is something in the actual contract about alterations if the coach gets another coaching job right away but maybe that isn't the case with him. I wonder if the contract is posted anywhere.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever we have to pay 'Champ I'm sure we can afford it. Don't be surprised if we have to pay a hefty payout to a coach we get from another team..but if he's a good coach I'm sure we won't complain.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Leroy Jenkins;n109471 said:
Whatever we have to pay 'Champ I'm sure we can afford it. Don't be surprised if we have to pay a hefty payout to a coach we get from another team..but if he's a good coach I'm sure we won't complain.

Its nice Stoops doesn't have a buyout.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Leroy Jenkins;n109471 said:

McElwain's buyout is $7.5 million! I doubt we pay that.

TexasGator

Oct 20, 2014
During the press conference yesterday, Foley said that Muschamp's contract did not have a mitigation clause. The assistant coaches contracts do have a mitigation clause. So, assistants payouts will be reduced by whatever they get paid by another school, Muschamp's payout will not.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TexasGator;n109514 said:
During the press conference yesterday, Foley said that Muschamp's contract did not have a mitigation clause. The assistant coaches contracts do have a mitigation clause. So, assistants payouts will be reduced by whatever they get paid by another school, Muschamp's payout will not.
^This

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
TexasGator;n109514 said:

What an effing joke Foley is..almost all of these contracts have that clause..you work then that salary is reduced from the remainder we owe. The Foleyites need to see how bad he screwed this thing up.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Since65;n109521 said:
For a school like Colorado State that seems like an excessive amount.

I can't figure out how they got him to agree to that. He makes 1.5, which is solid, especially at that level. But I would think he would want to keep his options open to some degree considering he worked for a guy that is making 5. That's a big nut to have to take on for a future employer.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Charlie Cheesburger got full payments from us for 3 years....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;n109539 said:

Someone explain to Foley that most contracts have a clause where your payout is reduced(by the amount of the new salary) if you take another job. Unfreaking believable.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if the original contract had the clause and it was changed when he was extended. Or if Foley just decided to honor the whole thing on his own. I really do not trust the football program in Foley's hands after these last four years.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;n109539 said:

You probably mean what ND is paying him. I doubt any contract would ever pay someone to voluntarily go take a head coaching job. I did hear Kansas screwed themselves also however.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n109552 said:
I wonder if the original contract had the clause and it was changed when he was extended. Or if Foley just decided to honor the whole thing on his own. I really do not trust the football program in Foley's hands after these last four years.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator