How does Muschamp's severance payout work?

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n109553 said:
You probably mean what ND is paying him. I doubt any contract would ever pay someone to voluntarily go take a head coaching job. I did hear Kansas screwed themselves also however.

Yes, ND and Kansas are paying him. Combined, about $5 million a year to not coach their teams.

That's gettin' it done.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n109555 said:

It's not funny. Machen and Meyer were tied together somewhat. That decision was academic. Zook and Muschamp are all on Foley. Do you disagree?

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n109558 said:
It's not funny. Machen and Meyer were tied together somewhat. That decision was academic. Zook and Muschamp are all on Foley. Do you disagree?

Zook was a bomb, no doubt. Muschamp was on the radar of many and nationally perceived to be the next big name in the HC game when Foley hired him. It didn't pan out here for whatever reason. But you're looking at a very small scale and I'm sure football is the only thing that matters to you. I'm not that way. I look at all of Foley's work and realize that he is very well respected by his peers and I'm glad he's here. He probably won't be for long, though, so you can relax. He'll likely be the next SEC commissioner.

That said, what I found funny is that you don't trust Foley after these last four years. It struck me as funny. I laughed. Then I scratched.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n109572 said:
Zook was a bomb, no doubt. Muschamp was on the radar of many and nationally perceived to be the next big name in the HC game when Foley hired him. It didn't pan out here for whatever reason. But you're looking at a very small scale and I'm sure football is the only thing that matters to you. I'm not that way. I look at all of Foley's work and realize that he is very well respected by his peers and I'm glad he's here. He probably won't be for long, though, so you can relax. He'll likely be the next SEC commissioner.

That said, what I found funny is that you don't trust Foley after these last four years. It struck me as funny. I laughed. Then I scratched.

He's one of the top AD's in the country. No doubt but when it comes to football he has a tough time. Why is that difficult to understand? I'm not saying he sucks or was bad at his job. For some ungody reason, football is his Achilles heel. I didn't say he wasn't respected. While success in other sports is an added bonus, football is king. I think you'd agree. I'm glad you look at all his work...but we're talking about football. What the hell does women's lacrosse or volleyball have to do with football? You're making a huge leap that his success in track somehow translates to football. It hasn't as he has shown. He botched up the Meyer deal at the end as well. Take football by itself and give him an overall grade with Meyer, Zook and Muschamp all getting equal shares. I bet it is a poor grade.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I wish champ had what it takes to do this job. He was really liked by staff and players alike and did a great job keeping the program clean. All of that mixed with the ability to develop players would have been a nice package. He has made enough here to never have to work again in his life.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hadnt seen anyone else post it but he gets the full amount. However, he gets 50% paid within 30 days of date of termination, 3.2 million, with the remaining paid in $800,000 increments annually, until paid off.

Roper will also receive 1.2 Million whether he is retained or not and there are two other coaches due between 500 & 600,000 combined, or somewhere in that neighborhood.

TexasGator

Oct 20, 2014
Fairly certain that UAA has lawyers that are advising Foley on the language of the contracts. Even though Foley said Muschamp was getting paid out--it is not clear whether there was any renegotiation of the payout amount for Muschamp to be able to say "he stepped down." In any event, SEC Network money will be put to use this year on payouts of old coaches and buyouts of new.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n109597 said:
Hadnt seen anyone else post it but he gets the full amount. However, he gets 50% paid within 30 days of date of termination, 3.2 million, with the remaining paid in $800,000 increments annually, until paid off.

Roper will also receive 1.2 Million whether he is retained or not and there are two other coaches due between 500 & 600,000 combined, or somewhere in that neighborhood.

It's a report total of $8 million in buyouts for the complete staff. $6 Million for Muschamp, $1.2 Million for Roper, $190,000 for Summers, and then the rest fills in the blanks.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
TexasGator;n109622 said:
Fairly certain that UAA has lawyers that are advising Foley on the language of the contracts. Even though Foley said Muschamp was getting paid out--it is not clear whether there was any renegotiation of the payout amount for Muschamp to be able to say "he stepped down." In any event, SEC Network money will be put to use this year on payouts of old coaches and buyouts of new.

I would bet that Foley felt bad about saying that Muschamp was "fired". So they let him "step down" and collect his monies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
T REX;n109558 said:

I don't hold JF entirely responsible for Zook. HIs options were beyond limited, especially that close to NSD. It took him by surprise. I also don't think Zook was a horrible hire. We had some dreadful games, and he was not the answer for us. But we also had some huge upsets like uga-'02, Lsu-'03, fsu-'04, etc. Not Spurrier or Meyer standards, and not what we should expect at UF. But the guy had some solid wins, kept us respectable, and recruited very well.

Now, Muchamp was squarely on Foley. That said, he was HCIW at one of the few jobs that are bigger than UF, and was coveted by many programs, as it was thought that he was the next big splash. It just didn't work. You can blame JF for allowing him to implement his flawed vision, but the hire itself wasn't bad by a long shot. Many thought he as going to turn us into a powerhouse. If he'd allowed it to continue beyond this year, then there would be some seriously warranted criticism. But he didn't. Muschamp failed, he pulled the plug. It happens to the best executives out there.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n109580 said:
He's one of the top AD's in the country. No doubt but when it comes to football he has a tough time. Why is that difficult to understand? I'm not saying he sucks or was bad at his job. For some ungody reason, football is his Achilles heel. I didn't say he wasn't respected. While success in other sports is an added bonus, football is king. I think you'd agree. I'm glad you look at all his work...but we're talking about football. What the hell does women's lacrosse or volleyball have to do with football? You're making a huge leap that his success in track somehow translates to football. It hasn't as he has shown. He botched up the Meyer deal at the end as well. Take football by itself and give him an overall grade with Meyer, Zook and Muschamp all getting equal shares. I bet it is a poor grade.

I go against the grain here but people are acting like Jeremy Foley is Steve Jobs. Jeremy Foley did not make Florida athletics. That said he has done a decent job at his job. He is certainly no where near infallible. Maybe he is the best at his job and his competition is simply that bad. They might be since all of college athletics are filled with these insanely lucrative contracts for coaches. I personally like the way that Foley handles some of his job. I like how he doesn't give any of our coaches buyouts. If they don't want to be here any longer then they should leave. However I think it should cut both ways. There should be outs in the contract for unacceptable performance (ie less than .500 season). Doesn't mean we HAVE to fire a coach for poor performance but it means we CAN. We shouldn't be forced to pay out millions for someone who couldn't do their job satisfactory.

It just seems to me when we are hiring a first time head coach we are the one taking all the risk. We have the negotiating power. Not that we should be unfair. The hiring of Muschamp was bad enough, but the TWO contract extensions he gave Muschamp before he proved a single thing? Completely unacceptable. I think from the beginning Foley picked Muschamp simply because he liked him as a person and thought he would be a hard worker. Unfortunately there are thousands of coaches who meet those same requirements but who could not perform the job satisfactory at UF.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n109665 said:
I don't hold JF entirely responsible for Zook. HIs options were beyond limited, especially that close to NSD. It took him by surprise. I also don't think Zook was a horrible hire. We had some dreadful games, and he was not the answer for us. But we also had some huge upsets like uga-'02, Lsu-'03, fsu-'04, etc. Not Spurrier or Meyer standards, and not what we should expect at UF. But the guy had some solid wins, kept us respectable, and recruited very well.

Now, Muchamp was squarely on Foley. That said, he was HCIW at one of the few jobs that are bigger than UF, and was coveted by many programs, as it was thought that he was the next big splash. It just didn't work. You can blame JF for allowing him to implement his flawed vision, but the hire itself wasn't bad by a long shot. Many thought he as going to turn us into a powerhouse. If he'd allowed it to continue beyond this year, then there would be some seriously warranted criticism. But he didn't. Muschamp failed, he pulled the plug. It happens to the best executives out there.

Zook was a defensive first time coach. SO was Muschamp. The mistake was repeated. This year was a wasted season and recruiting has suffered because JF refused to believe WM was a bust. GA Southern was all anyone needed to know that he wasn't the man for the job. This was a big year for FL recruits. What do we have 1 of the top 20 in state kids in mid-November? That's all on Foley. Muschamp wasn't going to quit. Sorry but the cord should have been cut last year. Lost a whole year because Foley lacks foresight. Just MHO only.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n109684 said:
I go against the grain here but people are acting like Jeremy Foley is Steve Jobs. Jeremy Foley did not make Florida athletics. That said he has done a decent job at his job. He is certainly no where near infallible. Maybe he is the best at his job and his competition is simply that bad. They might be since all of college athletics are filled with these insanely lucrative contracts for coaches. I personally like the way that Foley handles some of his job. I like how he doesn't give any of our coaches buyouts. If they don't want to be here any longer then they should leave. However I think it should cut both ways. There should be outs in the contract for unacceptable performance (ie less than .500 season). Doesn't mean we HAVE to fire a coach for poor performance but it means we CAN. We shouldn't be forced to pay out millions for someone who couldn't do their job satisfactory.

It just seems to me when we are hiring a first time head coach we are the one taking all the risk. We have the negotiating power. Not that we should be unfair. The hiring of Muschamp was bad enough, but the TWO contract extensions he gave Muschamp before he proved a single thing? Completely unacceptable. I think from the beginning Foley picked Muschamp simply because he liked him as a person and thought he would be a hard worker. Unfortunately there are thousands of coaches who meet those same requirements but who could not perform the job satisfactory at UF.

Agree on a lot of what you're saying. The guy is an A+ is everything but football(and one could argue 2 MNC's with Meyer brings up his football grade). I hope he gets Stoops and everyone gets to throw tomatoes at me.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
T REX;n109714 said:
Zook was a defensive first time coach. SO was Muschamp. The mistake was repeated. This year was a wasted season and recruiting has suffered because JF refused to believe WM was a bust. GA Southern was all anyone needed to know that he wasn't the man for the job. This was a big year for FL recruits. What do we have 1 of the top 20 in state kids in mid-November? That's all on Foley. Muschamp wasn't going to quit. Sorry but the cord should have been cut last year. Lost a whole year because Foley lacks foresight. Just MHO only.

I wanted WM gone in 2011. So I don't need to be sold on his deserving the axe after GSU. The only problem with last year was that everyone under the sun was talking about our injuries, and referencing the 2012 success, etc. As much as I think JF really like WM and wanted to keep him, I think any AD would've had a hard time making the call with that backdrop. In a sense, the injuries last year were the worst thing that could've happened to us because it bought him another season.

But back to my point. I don't see "defensive" coach being the issue here. Saban and many others are as well. The first time coach part of it is valid. I just think Zook in 2002 was light years away from Muschamp in 2010 in terms or perception and reputation. And as I said, in 2002, it was SPurrier who left us in a jam and caused the Zook era in the first place. I have a hard time blaming that one on Foley.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n109720 said:
I wanted WM gone in 2011. So I don't need to be sold on his deserving the axe after GSU. The only problem with last year was that everyone under the sun was talking about our injuries, and referencing the 2012 success, etc. As much as I think JF really like WM and wanted to keep him, I think any AD would've had a hard time making the call with that backdrop. In a sense, the injuries last year were the worst thing that could've happened to us because it bought him another season.

But back to my point. I don't see "defensive" coach being the issue here. Saban and many others are as well. The first time coach part of it is valid. I just think Zook in 2002 was light years away from Muschamp in 2010 in terms or perception and reputation. And as I said, in 2002, it was SPurrier who left us in a jam and caused the Zook era in the first place. I have a hard time blaming that one on Foley.

Foley had about two weeks to say the recruiting class and was shot down by his first 4 guys. Zook was a good safe hire, who worked under Spurrier and could fill in a staff quickly. Foley was dealt a poor hand and did what he could.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
T REX;n109714 said:

PREACH IT, BROTHER!!!!!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n109553 said:
You probably mean what ND is paying him. I doubt any contract would ever pay someone to voluntarily go take a head coaching job. I did hear Kansas screwed themselves also however.

The article I read said Charlie was collecting three paycheck at Kansas. 1 from ND, 1 from us and Kansas.... Total was almost 9 million a year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
First, it's probably not a "severance" and likely not a buyout. We are probably just honoring the rest of the contract for whatever it is. (Two more years?) Buyouts are generally less than the contract value.

I've never heard of contract like this with no mitigation clause. I'm not even sure it is enforceable unless there is some preclusion from Chimp taking another job, which obviously isn't the case. I question the reporting.

Edit: The only think that makes sense is if he has a non-compete clause which limits him from coaching a rival perhaps since that would obviously limit his marketing power. I haven't heard this so I doubt it's the case.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Jabberdave;n109556 said:
Yes, ND and Kansas are paying him. Combined, about $5 million a year to not coach their teams.

That's gettin' it done.

Ol' Cheeseburger must be the smartest man on earth.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;n109738 said:
The article I read said Charlie was collecting three paycheck at Kansas. 1 from ND, 1 from us and Kansas.... Total was almost 9 million a year.

There is no way we are paying someone who left for a head coaching job at another school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.