How each Super Bowl 2018 starter was rated as a high school recruit

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Nice post, but I assume you will concede that the Patriots "contend for championships consistently".

Yes they do. But they aren’t recruiting high school players. There’s too much growth & development in college to make a linear argument like that.

As the article points out, a much higher percentage of 4 & 5 stars bear out than 3 stars, but there is a much larger pool of 3 stars.

Despite every NFL team having an extensive scouting staff and program, the Patriots have proven repeatedly that they are significantly better than most teams at identifying players that fit their systems. That means they find guys from West Alabama, Brown, Kent State, Monmouth and Youngstown State - all of which are represented on their current roster - and they are better.

College recruiting rankings are largely built in part on which schools are recruiting a kid. If Saban, Meyer & Dabo are all after a player then Rivals is likely to make him a 4* or higher. Why? Because those coaches and staffs are better at identifying talent than most.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Yes they do. But they aren’t recruiting high school players. There’s too much growth & development in college to make a linear argument like that.

As the article points out, a much higher percentage of 4 & 5 stars bear out than 3 stars, but there is a much larger pool of 3 stars.

Despite every NFL team having an extensive scouting staff and program, the Patriots have proven repeatedly that they are significantly better than most teams at identifying players that fit their systems. That means they find guys from West Alabama, Brown, Kent State, Monmouth and Youngstown State - all of which are represented on their current roster - and they are better.

College recruiting rankings are largely built in part on which schools are recruiting a kid. If Saban, Meyer & Dabo are all after a player then Rivals is likely to make him a 4* or higher. Why? Because those coaches and staffs are better at identifying talent than most.
The point, I think, that seldom seems to be considered on this site, is that a good staff might uncover under appreciated talent at the highschool equivalent of west Alabama, etc. That is, while the statistical validation of the star rankings is confirmed in the large, it is refuted in the particular by the Patriots and by certain college teams. There is no intrinsic reason why a team of three stars (a generous description for the Patriots) can't win national championships. Hence, the absolutes so popular on this board, are totally unjustified. That is, no one should ever say "We can't win; we don't have highly ranked players."

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
In view of the incredibly low star ratings of the Pats, some of you astrologers need to come out and explain how a team can't win with 3 stars.
Still butthurt about butters huh? I can only imagine how rough its gonna be for you when we start winning again, and even worse, because it'll be correlated to when we started recruiting better players.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Neither reply addresses the points in my post. But thank you both for sharing.
And, law, you might want to compare your post to Durty's. Hard to tell which is the inferior

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The point, I think, that seldom seems to be considered on this site, is that a good staff might uncover under appreciated talent at the highschool equivalent of west Alabama, etc. That is, while the statistical validation of the star rankings is confirmed in the large, it is refuted in the particular by the Patriots and by certain college teams. There is no intrinsic reason why a team of three stars (a generous description for the Patriots) can't win national championships. Hence, the absolutes so popular on this board, are totally unjustified. That is, no one should ever say "We can't win; we don't have highly ranked players."

You aren't comparing apples to apples. This post is a huge fail. Dude, Google it. There's a ton of quantifiable metrics backing it up.

Keep digging...find that diamond. LOL.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
You aren't comparing apples to apples. This post is a huge fail. Dude, Google it. There's a ton of quantifiable metrics backing it up.

Keep digging...find that diamond. LOL.
A little short on specifics. Find what? That Belichick finds perfectly ordinary players that 31 other teams have passed on and coaches and motivates them to compete for and win championships? Which is exactly what some posters say "can't be done". Belichick exists as a solitary, glorious refutation of the"talent is everything" school of thought. Deal with it.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Right.

Message boards tend to polarize arguments and both ends fire on the center.

Alabama’s first Heisman Wimmer was a 3* RB. Their second was a freak monster 5*. Yes, the particulars matter.

But over time if a coach shows he’s able to out-recruit the system his eye will draw higher stars.

And over time a program built on 4s & 5s will win much more than one built on 3s.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Right.

Message boards tend to polarize arguments and both ends fire on the center.

Alabama’s first Heisman Wimmer was a 3* RB. Their second was a freak monster 5*. Yes, the particulars matter.

But over time if a coach shows he’s able to out-recruit the system his eye will draw higher stars.

And over time a program built on 4s & 5s will win much more than one built on 3s.
Wouldn't argue otherwise. No doubt that talent prevails in the large, and we Gators want as much of it as we can muster.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
P. S. This conversation is a sort of test to see which posters can distinguish between correlation and causality.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
A little short on specifics. Find what? That Belichick finds perfectly ordinary players that 31 other teams have passed on and coaches and motivates them to compete for and win championships? Which is exactly what some posters say "can't be done". Belichick exists as a solitary, glorious refutation of the"talent is everything" school of thought. Deal with it.

Where you fail is that everyone in the NFL is talented. What they do with said talent after that is up to them.

Not sure what I am even bothering with you. Sorry dude.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There are no 3 stars in the NFL. None. There are a bunch of players who were rated as such, very incorrectly, coming out of frickin highschool. The kids who lived up to the 3 star rating are coaching highschool now or flipping burgers, they aren't in the NFL.

Stars are meaningless and not even considered for NFL teams. Why? Because college is nothing more than a minimum 3 year farm league allowing the NFL to have all the game info they need on a player.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Where you fail is that everyone in the NFL is talented. What they do with said talent after that is up to them.

Not sure what I am even bothering with you. Sorry dude.
As they say in the Bronx, "The feeling mutual I am sure."

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Have any of you geniuses considered how statistically impossible it is that the Patriots would wind up with that roster of no stars by accident? Do the math and then convince yourself that you are making logical sense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Have any of you geniuses considered how statistically impossible it is that the Patriots would wind up with that roster of no stars by accident? Do the math and then convince yourself that you are making logical sense.
Its astonishing that you are still fukking clueless... and yet arrogantly declaring yourself as winning thw argument. Your math skills are atrocious. You simply dont undersrand that the size of the sample of 3 and 2 stars (being 50,000 times larger) matters. In fact, not only is it statistically impossible, it is statistically a given that every NFL team is made up of moatly 2 and 3 stars. You are literally the only person on the board who doesnt get it.

There is really no hope at this point bc weve unsuccessfully tried to explain it to you in every way possible.

It reminds me of you insisting that Butters was doing a great job even in Sept and coming up with your bizarre stats that proved we were really doing well on offense and defense in the SEC.

You should apolgize to Daffy bc you are far more daffy than Daffy.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Maybe I am starting to get it. Four and five stars are the only thing that matter in college football. Why I believe posters here want at least half our recruits to be either four stars or five stars. Then, miraculously, the two and three stars who never star in college become the majority of the professional players. Yes, that is what our math genius said:"every NFL team is made up of moatly (sic) of 2 and 3 stars".

I still doff my hat to cover, and Itraz, and numerous other posters (yes, even you law) who know football. But, law, stick to things that you understand

SwampChomp

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2017
One thing that Belichick seems to value are players with a high "football IQ". IMO it seems he is willing to take players with less ability but have a higher football acumen. Of course this is not true of every player on the roster.

HS stars are heavily biased towards physical ability/attributes. These gaps narrow at the NFL level by comparison. Finding players with a high football acumen would be a big plus.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Its astonishing that you are still fukking clueless... and yet arrogantly declaring yourself as winning thw argument. Your math skills are atrocious. You simply dont undersrand that the size of the sample of 3 and 2 stars (being 50,000 times larger) matters. In fact, not only is it statistically impossible, it is statistically a given that every NFL team is made up of moatly 2 and 3 stars. You are literally the only person on the board who doesnt get it.

There is really no hope at this point bc weve unsuccessfully tried to explain it to you in every way possible.

It reminds me of you insisting that Butters was doing a great job even in Sept and coming up with your bizarre stats that proved we were really doing well on offense and defense in the SEC.

You should apolgize to Daffy bc you are far more daffy than Daffy.
Noticing the typos, misspelled words, grammar, etc., as well as the inaccurate and intemperate nature of your post, I infer that you were probably drunk. Nonetheless, you have left the post standing so I will treat it as if you were sober. Insisting that I don't know the extent of2/3 stars is ignorant. And, "yes", I did post as if I had won the argument because I knew I had before I did the numbers. The conclusion that the rosters were too different to admit of random coincidence was obvious to anyone who dealt with statistics. Nevertheless, here is the statistical analysis.

The starting lineups break down as follows: 12 high school elites (four and five stars) on the Eagles with ten who were not H. S. elites. For the Patriots, there were five high school elites and seventeen who were not. In all, then, there were 17 elites and 27 non-elites. The question is whether this distribution resulted from random chance, or was it an artifact of coaching style and evaluation. One poster argued that talent issues had washed out over the college career and were no longer valid. If that is true, we may expect a random result. Swonkey argued that I was too stupid to understand the fact that there were more 3 and fewer stars than there were 4/5 stars (elites). This despite the fact that, on the data provided, 39% of the starters were elite and 61% (i.e., "most") were not elite. Those percentages are relevant and are fully accounted far in the following analysis. (How stupid would I have to be not to have noticed that?) If this distribution turns out not to be random, then it does hold implications for the wars over the value of recruiting service evaluations. Perhaps, it does not change the major features: almost everyone agrees that stars matter in the large (for a roster) but do not determine the success of an individual. Even casual fans must have noticed that championships are almost always won by teams with excellent recruiting classes. It may help us to understand questions at the margin: Is it possible to be a successful coach without stressing the talent aspect? (Some of you may think that Scott Frost answered that question last year with a perfect season, but despite notable wins, he did not play a Power 5 schedule.)
Since there are two possible outcomes of the variable, elite or non-elite, we use the binomial distribution. We use the distribution with a probability of 0.3864 for getting an elite and a probability of 0.6136 for not getting an elite, probabilities obtained from the data. We use the distribution with replacement of the sample. This will not significantly affect the results since the rosters are drawn from the very large population of potential NFL players and not just the two rosters which have provided the estimated probabilities. The probability that Belichick winds up with only five elite players is 9%. But this is not the correct answer. We would be yet more amazed if he had four or fewer elites. Thus, a fair comparison includes adding the probability for four (3.5%) and the probability for only three elites (1%), the probability for two elites (0.2%), as well as the negligible probabilities for one elite and for zero elites. So the total probability is 14%. There is less than one chance in seven that the Patriots roster is accidental and not the result of deliberate coaching and evaluation decisions. Lest you not be impressed, Swonkey, you call your number and cast a die. I will give you $5 when you are correct and you give me $5 when you aren't. At the end of the day I would own Swonkey and he would have enjoyed better odds (1 in 6, instead of 1 in 7). There is one final technical detail. Since we were provided only two rosters, had we never seen as much as 30 seconds of a Belichick press conference, we might wonder whether it is the Eagles coach who is the deviant. Having watched Belichick make fools of the press, everyone with half a brain knows who the deviant is. But just in case you lack more than half a brain, consider the additional evidence provided in another thread and dismissed by the innumerate: the Patriots rank first in the NFL in number of college graduates (1 chance in 32) and first in the NFL in number of ex-team captains (1 chance in 32). these are clear differences in approach to talent and evaluation. The probability that a team would accidentally have the most grads, the most captains, and only 5 elites in the starting lineup is (1/32)x(1/32)x(1/7) = 1/(7,168). However, Swonkey et al have less than 1 chance in 7,168 because the data from the two teams have suppressed a degree of freedom.

None of this means we don't want elite players. I am a bit of a recruitnik and hope we roll in the 4 and 5 stars. It does mean that when a coach passes on an elite talent, as it appears Mullen has on Xavier, that it is dangerous to condemn him before you see how his coaching and evaluation of players works out. And I still believe some of you Recruitniks would prefer the number one recruiting class to the National Championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.