How good is Florida Gators' Jim McElwain? We're about to find out

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/coll...s-jim-mcelwain-were-about-to-find-out/2328490

With Florida finally, formally announcing the addition of quarterback Malik Zaire on Monday, the attention turns from the Notre Dame grad transfer to the man who will be coaching him.

We're about to find out just how good Jim McElwain is.

With UF losing seven defensive players to the NFL draft plus coordinator Geoff Collins to Temple, McElwain probably won't be able to keep grinding out 16-10 wins. That means a third consecutive trip to Atlanta hinges on the Gators' offense. And their offense comes down to how McElwain handles the quarterback battle between Zaire and redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks.

Since McElwain first became a Division I-A offensive coordinator at Fresno State in 2007, almost all of his quarterbacks have resembled Franks. He's tall (6-foot-6) and can move, but he's a more traditional drop-back passer.

Zaire is 6 inches shorter with a completely different skillset. He can throw, but he's a more dynamic runner. He rushed for 96 yards against LSU, ripped off a 56-yarder against Rice and averaged 5.4 yards per carry in 2015 before injuring his ankle.

McElwain occasionally lets his quarterbacks run. Austin Appleby's opened up the field early against South Carolina with a 33-yard keeper. But McElwain's hasn't yet let his quarterbacks rush consistently — not even dual-threat Treon Harris.

Appleby and Luke Del Rio combined for 29 runs last season (excluding sacks). Zaire had 22 against LSU alone. In 10 seasons as a I-A offensive coordinator or head coach, only once has a McElwain quarterback had double-digit carries in a game (again, excluding sacks): Will Grier had 10 at Kentucky in 2015.

That doesn't mean McElwain can't use a running quarterback. But it means he must spend fall camp trying to figure out how best to do it, either by expanding the change-of-pace package designed for early enrollee Kadarius Toney or by implementing something new.

Once McElwain decides answer, he can move on to the next issue: His top two quarterbacks throw with opposite hands.

Lefties like Zaire throw with different spin than righties like Franks. How much time is McElwain willing to give receivers to adjust to Zaire's passes, when those playmakers also need to keep developing chemistry with Franks, a potential first-time starter?

In 2007, the Gators planned to flip tackle Phil Trautwein from the left side to the right to protect the blind side of their new lefty starter, Tim Tebow. Trautwein's ankle injury changed those plans. Will McElwain want to make a similar switch for former five-star recruit Martez Ivey, who has been set to slide from left guard to left tackle?

As McElwain solves the two major schematic challenges between now and the Sept. 2 season opener against Michigan, he must do so without adding to the transfer epidemic of blue-chip quarterbacks.

To be clear, Franks has given no indication that he might want out, but Franks wouldn't be the first highly touted passer to transfer over playing time, if he loses the starting job. The two other four-star quarterbacks state schools signed in Franks' 2016 class (Florida State's Malik Henry and Miami's Jack Allison) have already bolted. If McElwain doesn't handle this situation well, it's not a stretch to think that focusing on the present could cost him UF's quarterback of the future.

All three issues McElwain faces are good problems to have, and they're not insurmountable. Alabama's Nick Saban has won three consecutive SEC titles with three diverse starters. Quarterback attrition hasn't stopped Jimbo Fisher from piling up 10-win seasons at FSU.

Good coaches know how to adapt to different personnel and personalities.

Does that include McElwain? We're about to find out.

Contact Matt Baker at [email protected]. Follow @MBakerTBTimes.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This guy who wrote the article, Matt Baker, was just on the Finebaum show. He predicted an 8-4 record. Finebaum was shocked he predicted 4 losses, saying most writers who cover a team try to sugar coat things and pump up the program they cover. They also discussed how the fan base isn't overly thrilled w/ McElwain, w/ Finebaum saying he covered Florida for 4 games last year and after the Arkansas game heard a lot of grumbling.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'll try before it derails. I've been wondering how we handle the tackle position. Do you protect the 6-6 less mobile QB or the more mobile 6-0 QB? Haven't thought about spin as an issue.

edit: Oh well, too late.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/coll...s-jim-mcelwain-were-about-to-find-out/2328490

With Florida finally, formally announcing the addition of quarterback Malik Zaire on Monday, the attention turns from the Notre Dame grad transfer to the man who will be coaching him.

We're about to find out just how good Jim McElwain is.

With UF losing seven defensive players to the NFL draft plus coordinator Geoff Collins to Temple, McElwain probably won't be able to keep grinding out 16-10 wins. That means a third consecutive trip to Atlanta hinges on the Gators' offense. And their offense comes down to how McElwain handles the quarterback battle between Zaire and redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks.

Since McElwain first became a Division I-A offensive coordinator at Fresno State in 2007, almost all of his quarterbacks have resembled Franks. He's tall (6-foot-6) and can move, but he's a more traditional drop-back passer.

Zaire is 6 inches shorter with a completely different skillset. He can throw, but he's a more dynamic runner. He rushed for 96 yards against LSU, ripped off a 56-yarder against Rice and averaged 5.4 yards per carry in 2015 before injuring his ankle.

McElwain occasionally lets his quarterbacks run. Austin Appleby's opened up the field early against South Carolina with a 33-yard keeper. But McElwain's hasn't yet let his quarterbacks rush consistently — not even dual-threat Treon Harris.

Appleby and Luke Del Rio combined for 29 runs last season (excluding sacks). Zaire had 22 against LSU alone. In 10 seasons as a I-A offensive coordinator or head coach, only once has a McElwain quarterback had double-digit carries in a game (again, excluding sacks): Will Grier had 10 at Kentucky in 2015.

That doesn't mean McElwain can't use a running quarterback. But it means he must spend fall camp trying to figure out how best to do it, either by expanding the change-of-pace package designed for early enrollee Kadarius Toney or by implementing something new.

Once McElwain decides answer, he can move on to the next issue: His top two quarterbacks throw with opposite hands.

Lefties like Zaire throw with different spin than righties like Franks. How much time is McElwain willing to give receivers to adjust to Zaire's passes, when those playmakers also need to keep developing chemistry with Franks, a potential first-time starter?

In 2007, the Gators planned to flip tackle Phil Trautwein from the left side to the right to protect the blind side of their new lefty starter, Tim Tebow. Trautwein's ankle injury changed those plans. Will McElwain want to make a similar switch for former five-star recruit Martez Ivey, who has been set to slide from left guard to left tackle?

As McElwain solves the two major schematic challenges between now and the Sept. 2 season opener against Michigan, he must do so without adding to the transfer epidemic of blue-chip quarterbacks.

To be clear, Franks has given no indication that he might want out, but Franks wouldn't be the first highly touted passer to transfer over playing time, if he loses the starting job. The two other four-star quarterbacks state schools signed in Franks' 2016 class (Florida State's Malik Henry and Miami's Jack Allison) have already bolted. If McElwain doesn't handle this situation well, it's not a stretch to think that focusing on the present could cost him UF's quarterback of the future.

All three issues McElwain faces are good problems to have, and they're not insurmountable. Alabama's Nick Saban has won three consecutive SEC titles with three diverse starters. Quarterback attrition hasn't stopped Jimbo Fisher from piling up 10-win seasons at FSU.

Good coaches know how to adapt to different personnel and personalities.

Does that include McElwain? We're about to find out.

Contact Matt Baker at [email protected]. Follow @MBakerTBTimes.

Those seven on defense will be replaced, perhaps not quite a good but I bet pretty close. As for the DC, we might have an improvement there and I bet he has total control over the defense.

Injuries will be important, how effective the team (especially the QBs) in improving over the summer is very critical.

I really doubt without injuries a new QB is going to immediately win the QB job, he might think so but I really doubt it.

We also have to run the QB in some circumstances, not too much as a designed play but rather in getting some yards instead of a loss. Even Bama is running their QB.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I said 9-3 so we're not too far off.

Randy Shannon > Side Hat. Even with some new blood on that side should not see much of a drop off.

On the QB's, we'll see. I would much rather have Zaire, Toney, and Franks in camp for us. A couple of years ago we couldn't buy a QB. Can Mac coach em up, who knows. I have a feeling Zaire bails us out. Just a feelin'.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I just hope that Toney is allowed to throw. Like any scheme, try to create uncertainty to freeze a defense for even half a second to open gaps.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I have confidence in Shannon until I don't. In any case defense should only be what you're doing when not scoring. :dance:
QB situation will be figured out enough to win the east. Only question is will we beat F$U and 'bama. Hopefully the offense takes enough pressure off teh defense that they aren't the walking wounded by the end of the season.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I have confidence in Shannon until I don't. In any case defense should only be what you're doing when not scoring. :dance:
QB situation will be figured out enough to win the east. Only question is will we beat F$U and 'bama. Hopefully the offense takes enough pressure off teh defense that they aren't the walking wounded by the end of the season.
Dang David you are optimistic

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I just hope that Toney is allowed to throw. Like any scheme, try to create uncertainty to freeze a defense for even half a second to open gaps.
The same article that was pimping LDR also mentioned that Toney had a 70% completion rate in high school.

I'm not sold on moving him until he proves he can't do the job.

I don't think the staff is either.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree but the coaches don't. They are just as ball control, TOP, "DEAR GOD JUST DON'T THROW AN INTERCEPTION" as the last guy.

Shannon isn't great, but he is a better x and o guy than what we had and he isn't a prevent defense guy. I don't recall Shannon ever giving up 400+ yards the way Sidehat did in any game that mattered. We will see but I'm not worried about the DC at all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This guy who wrote the article, Matt Baker, was just on the Finebaum show. He predicted an 8-4 record. Finebaum was shocked he predicted 4 losses, saying most writers who cover a team try to sugar coat things and pump up the program they cover. They also discussed how the fan base isn't overly thrilled w/ McElwain, w/ Finebaum saying he covered Florida for 4 games last year and after the Arkansas game heard a lot of grumbling.
Yeah, a guy who loses to Arky and Bytch Davis can lose to anyone.

Vegas thinks 4.5 losses regular season losses. They are pretty good at what they do. That's just about right IMO.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'll try before it derails. I've been wondering how we handle the tackle position. Do you protect the 6-6 less mobile QB or the more mobile 6-0 QB? Haven't thought about spin as an issue.

edit: Oh well, too late.
Well nussmeier was a lefty qb too so maybe that won't be as big an issue.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
IMO, you don't flop anyone. We are pretty good at tackle, both should be solid. Flopping sides just seems like too many moving parts for a shaky OL. Move a TE maybe.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, a guy who loses to Arky and Bytch Davis can lose to anyone.

Vegas thinks 4.5 losses regular season losses. They are pretty good at what they do. That's just about right IMO.

Once again, you're wrong Swonky = we win that .5 game like we did vs UT last year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Once again, you're wrong Swonky = we win that .5 game like we did vs UT last year.
Good call!

Plus we won one half of one quarter vs. Bammer so that is a 0.125 win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator