How long before we're considered "National title contenders" again?

How long until we're considered a "National title contender" again?

• 1-2 yrs

• 3-4 yrs

• 5-6 yrs

• Whenever we hire a new coach

Results are only viewable after voting.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Contenders? If we beat Michigan in game 1 then surely there will be talk of contending this year.

I think, in that case, the media reports how MICH is still rebuilding...and yet, they beat tOSU :D

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I agree with Kev. Mac gets 2 more years regardless. Hes a nice guy but he hasn't shown ability to recruit truly elite players yet, and that is what it takes on a consistent basis to be a contender. Our regain of national relevance likely wont come under macs watch.

1. I agree that it would take something odd for McElwain to be let go after this season, though I guess he could leave on his own.

2. There has only been one coach to have UF a contender on a consistent basis and you could in his day read many of the same complaints about him being a lazy, etc recruiter that you can now read about McElwain all the time at least here. One might think that would lead people to the correct conclussion, which is that it football you don't sign elite players, you coach the players you sign up into elite players. I see no sign that McElwain can coach up the players he signs to make UF a national contender.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If things click for Franks, there's no reason we can''t be in the conversation this year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I put 3-4 years, but I could see this happening sooner if we have a QB.

McElwain has had to rebuild the offense from scratch. When he joined 2 years ago he had 6 healthy offensive linemen, 1 QB who got suspended for PEDs and transferred, no depth at RB and a below average receiving corp (including TEs)

McElwain has significantly improved the WR and RB position. It looks like he has made some improvements in the TE position although we still need to see. The OL is still a question mark in my mind, but if they take a step to be an above average line then that shows he has improved that.

The obvious big question on the offensive side of the ball is the QB position. This year will tell us a lot about McElwain's ability as a coach. This is his year he has to show significant improvements at the QB position. If he starts LDR then the kid better be amazing. I think he is going to start Franks. Franks better show that he is capable and has promise. He doesn't have to be perfect, but you have to have the impression that he can be the guy even if he makes some mistakes.

The defensive side of the ball is a worry from recruiting, but steps were made in the last class. McElwain still needs to build depth, but I think we will be better (not as good as last year) than people think on that side of the ball.

Overall... if Mac can show a capable offense this year it will make a huge difference in recruiting and that will give the talent needed to be elite. The facility upgrades are in place so that will no longer be an excuse. I think Mac has shown the ability to get players to play at a high level (outside of the QB position). If he can get that piece done then I think you will see a shift and 5* guys will start coming to UF again.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
eefac2c0a5e863d076c19e3f07cc55ae00b32c565839cc081fc4119528aecec6.jpg

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If our oline can actually block and push, we will have a running game. With a running game, our QB wont have to be a star. We better improve in the red zone or none of this matters.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
If our oline can actually block and push, we will have a running game. With a running game, our QB wont have to be a star. We better improve in the red zone or none of this matters.

This is a real floor-ceiling year for McElwain. Is winning the east two years in a row evidence that McElwain is pretty good or is it evidence that competing for the east is the floor for UF and maybe the performances against UAL and FSU are evidence that winning the east is the ceiling for McElwain.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
I wish "never" was an option. I'm not being negative. It's just that after 8 seasons, the last two with Mac at the helm, I haven't seen anything to show me otherwise. I've lost hope a while back and the only thing that will bring it back is actual proof on the field.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the answer is a combination of "when a new coach is hired" and "3-4 years". Mac hasn't recruited well enough for him to be successful, but by the time he leaves, there will be enough decent players to not need several years of rebuilding for the next guy. If the next coach is a great recruiter, then his first two classes should bring the talent level to contend for a title.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
For the vodka drinking, dick in the dirt dragging donkey :grin: ... the 0-10-1 year was more fun than anything we've been watching lately... at least in the stands... babes in dolphin shorts, Pepsi cup lid wars, endless over the top victims, everyone in the stands on time, no one leaving early... better times despite the wait till next year chant going down the ramps :cool: just saying brother

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
I suspect that Hee Haw is a nice guy, and is probably a fun guy to play for. But when he is pitted against guys like Saban, Jimbo, Smart, etc, his shortcomings become painfully apparent. His lack of top notch recruiting skills, play calling, and choice of assistants leaves a lot to be desired. I think we peaked when Meyer was hired. There just isn't a lot to choose from.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I put 3-4 years, but I could see this happening sooner if we have a QB.

McElwain has had to rebuild the offense from scratch. When he joined 2 years ago he had 6 healthy offensive linemen, 1 QB who got suspended for PEDs and transferred, no depth at RB and a below average receiving corp (including TEs)

McElwain has significantly improved the WR and RB position. It looks like he has made some improvements in the TE position although we still need to see. The OL is still a question mark in my mind, but if they take a step to be an above average line then that shows he has improved that.

The obvious big question on the offensive side of the ball is the QB position. This year will tell us a lot about McElwain's ability as a coach. This is his year he has to show significant improvements at the QB position. If he starts LDR then the kid better be amazing. I think he is going to start Franks. Franks better show that he is capable and has promise. He doesn't have to be perfect, but you have to have the impression that he can be the guy even if he makes some mistakes.

The defensive side of the ball is a worry from recruiting, but steps were made in the last class. McElwain still needs to build depth, but I think we will be better (not as good as last year) than people think on that side of the ball.

Overall... if Mac can show a capable offense this year it will make a huge difference in recruiting and that will give the talent needed to be elite. The facility upgrades are in place so that will no longer be an excuse. I think Mac has shown the ability to get players to play at a high level (outside of the QB position). If he can get that piece done then I think you will see a shift and 5* guys will start coming to UF again.

And a more capable offense will reduce the pressure on the defense to be on the field a long time and to actually win the game with their performance.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But Dooley says that McElwain is the 2nd best coach in the SEC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator