How long does Mac last?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac probably gets another season know matter how big the disaster is this year but I wonder if the pressure will force him to start calling plays himself or to allow someone else on the staff to do it besides Nuss. The thing is if Mac calls the plays it will probably just be the same exact mess since he did the same thing at Bama with the superior talent just like Nuss did there.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with Fever... he is going to get another year like it or not. At least he this time he is pulling in a top recruiting class (assuming they stick after watching this embarrassment) and that gives the next guy some talent. At a minimum Nuss absolutely MUST be fired as soon as possible.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mac probably gets another season know matter how big the disaster is this year but I wonder if the pressure will force him to start calling plays himself or to allow someone else on the staff to do it besides Nuss. The thing is if Mac calls the plays it will probably just be the same exact mess since he did the same thing at Bama with the superior talent just like Nuss did there.

Fever, I tend to think the same as you, but it's all in the theoretical. In other words, our minds go first to the two divisional "crowns," then the fact that 10 players were out yesterday, then to Stricklin just extended Mac a year and upped his pay. Blah, blah, blah.

Now let's visit the practical side of things. Imagine that the level of ineptitude on display yesterday continues in various forms over the next six to eight weeks, combined by what appears as lack of effort on the part of certain players who've bailed. Imagine the knowing that we're going backward, not forward, as well as the knowing that future recruiting classes hold all the promise of a $6 biotech stock. Imagine, too, how the noise in the system grows to intolerable levels, further fueled by the late-to-the party media.

It could happen earlier, it definitely could.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Fever, I tend to think the same as you, but it's all in the theoretical. In other words, our minds go first to the two divisional "crowns," then the fact that 10 players were out yesterday, then to Stricklin just extended Mac a year and upped his pay. Blah, blah, blah.

Now let's visit the practical side of things. Imagine that the level of ineptitude on display yesterday continues in various forms over the next six to eight weeks, combined by what appears as lack of effort on the part of certain players who've bailed. Imagine the knowing that we're going backward, not forward, as well as the knowing that future recruiting classes hold all the promise of a $6 biotech stock. Imagine, too, how the noise in the system grows to intolerable levels, further fueled by the late-to-the party media.

I could see a scenario where the fans are in full revolt after the A&M game if we lose that one. I am pretty sure Tennessee is going to beat us now short of the defense scoring on them if that QB of theirs is as composed as he looked in the spring game.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Bamma after Bryant
1983-1989 – 7 years of misery
Ray Perkins, Bill Curry

Bamma after Stallings
1997-2006 – 10 years of misery
Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price, Mike Shula

Tennessee after Fulmer
2009-2017 – 8 years of misery
Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley, Butch Jones

Georgia after Vince Dooley
1989-2000 – 11 years of misery
Ray Goff, Jim Donnan

I guess it's the Gators turn.

Wake me when it's over.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
BTW I will be over at the stadium later today working out. If I happen to see any boxes being carried out or offices being cleaned, I will be sure to report!

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
He should NOT be here now. I honestly do not know how anyone could imagine that we would improve at any point under his direction. We are a middle of the road program, at best, with him here. We will not improve. He could pull in a #1 ranked recruiting class for 5 years in a row, and we will still be humiliated against better coaches. Face it, we have our own little version of Jim Donnan on our sideline.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm conflicted. Jim mcelwain is smarter than muschamp. Muschamp actually thought he could eventually be successful. Mcelwain knows he's taking candy from a baby. That's why he treats the media with utter contempt.

I tend to think that mcelwain would ride this contract until it expired and sue uf for any breach.

On the other hand, like I said before and others have said, mcelwain had his "midline" moment where he is completely defeated. He has no solution. The players will notice if they haven't already and he loses this team after the tennesse or Kentucky loss.

Not one reason to keep him around any longer. At this point him staying causes more damage. Toss him and Nuss, start coach searching and ask spurrier or Shannon to interim.

This is where were at boys

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he makes it to next year. I think this season will be a disaster. The recruits will jump ship. Strickland didn't hire so he does have an out. That being said, I can't help but think his job may be in jeopardy because of the extension we gave Mac and nuss. This year is gonna be 2013 ugly and Mac doesn't have the media boys backing like muschamp did.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014

I definitely agree with this and I told many fellow Gators I know that IF the Michigan game was a disaster for us that this season could spiral out of control in a hurry. Based on everything I saw yesterday I believe that's almost a certainty now. A disastrous season in which the coach obviously loses the team for all to see, I think a change will be forced whether Scott Strychnine wants it or not.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I definitely agree with this and I told many fellow Gators I know that IF the Michigan game was a disaster for us that this season could spiral out of control in a hurry. Based on everything I saw yesterday I believe that's almost a certainty now. A disastrous season in which the coach obviously loses the team for all to see, I think a change will be forced whether Scott Strychnine wants it or not.

This was a high-stakes opener if ever there was one and the results are unambiguous. I'm sure Mac realized that going in, though he did precious little to change the outcome. The product is unchanged and unimproved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator