How much longer does the NFL have?

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by AugustaGator, Nov 12, 2017.

1. AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $112
    Ratings:
    +2,916 / -30
  2. g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $108
    Ratings:
    +2,938 / -6
    But since he was "acting up" prior to reaching the NFL, does this mean his brain was already injured prior to leaving UF?

3. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,002
    Ratings:
    +23,933 / -486
    He was the primary suspect in multiple shootings one before he left Conn and before playing a down at UF.

#3 Swamp Donkey, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  4. Gatoravatara

Gatoravatara Protaganista

Oxbucks:
    $89
    Ratings:
    +1,328 / -178
    Most likely.

5. Gator87

Gator87 Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $49
    Ratings:
    +1,033 / -0
    Maybe he got dropped on his head as a baby. It’s the new version of the insanity defense.

6. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits Member

Oxbucks:
    $78
    Ratings:
    +522 / -11
    Sure....one of the largest money making businesses in the country that not only has their own day (Sunday) but also their own evening (Monday....Thursday doesnt really count) is just going to fold up and call it quits....makes sense to me!

7. klgator

klgator Junior Member

Oxbucks:
    $5
    Ratings:
    +34 / -0
    Here's my take. I played high school football in the 60s. We did not lift weights, because coaches feared the players would become muscle bound. The 240 pound linemen, usually slow, would play offensive tackle. The offensive guards and center typically weighed around 180 - 200 pounds as did the defensive line. On the 1966 Gator team Jack Card played linebacker, and he weighed 160 pounds.

Today the players are much bigger, stronger, and faster than they were then. Medical science can heal injuries that back then would have ended careers. Is it any surprise that we see these medical issues?

8. AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $112
    Ratings:
    +2,916 / -30
    I'd love me a CJ7.

Duels used to be all the rage...

Let's see what some fancy lawyer comes up with...I imagine flag football will not bring in quite the $$$ that our modern day gladiator events do.

But to tell you the truth, it will be because of the lose of interest coming in the demographics.

9. ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
    $92
    Ratings:
    +1,318 / -133
    I expect it to become less profitable and thus pay the players less. I also think that for college and the NFL they will start checking players brains and not allowing them to play with damages. Maybe some HS will also do this.

10. CapitalGator02

CapitalGator02 Has Anyone Found My Member?

Oxbucks:
    $83
    Ratings:
    +2,005 / -18
    Depends on what measures the NFL continues to implement to reduce head injuries. The targeting penalties are tolerable at this point, but any additional rules could severely diminish the entertainment value of the game, thus reducing viewership. That being said, the politicization of the game, haphazard punishments, and other issues will bury the NFL long before concussions and CTE.

11. Jbossgator8

Jbossgator8 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $37
    Ratings:
    +1,122 / -67
    they have till about February and then they are in their offseason...

12. AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $112
    Ratings:
    +2,916 / -30
    Those too....

13. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,002
    Ratings:
    +23,933 / -486
    Thats crazy. The game didnt end because the took away facemasking, horsecollaring, or late hits on the QB. It wont end if the make the entire helmet off limits like the facemask. They should do it tomorrow.

Spearing w the head has only existed a couple of decades. It didnt happen in the leather helmet days. We will be fine without it.

14. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $42
    Ratings:
    +1,473 / -39
    Boxing and horse racing were once major sports in the US too. Things change, so maybe football will fall into disfavor too.

15. biggator6

biggator6 Junior Member

Oxbucks:
    $8
    Ratings:
    +268 / -2
    I have several friends and acquaintances who are former college players, one is an NFL coach.

Their kids all play soccer. None are allowed to play tackle football yet. MAYBE in HS, no earlier.

These guys know.

16. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $42
    Ratings:
    +1,473 / -39
    You do know that games like football have always been disproportionately populated by poor kids fighting to get out of the circumstances they were born into. So it is not surprising that the rich kids of NFL QBs are not playing the game. I would guess the kids of the former college players you know are at least richer kids than their fathers were growing up.

It is when poor kids give up the sport that football will be in trouble in terms of attracting players. Now the game may become smaller ala boxing if they continue to chase away fans.

17. GatorStud

GatorStud Wait 'till Next Year
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $24
    Ratings:
    +1,864 / -5
    I haven't watched a NFL pro game this year... they're in the same coffin as the NBA.