How to have a 16 team playoff that works...

Damien83

Cucamonga Cracka Killa
Oct 22, 2014
My idea would be to have each conference have a championship game. Only the winners of their conference championship go on to play in a playoff like the NCAA tourney.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
CFB is first and foremost about $$$$
No conference is going to get rid of their Conference Championship game.

The Super Infallible Unanimous Sweet 16 plan generates mo' money. Everybody wins. The conferences get mo' money. The networks get mo' money. The participating schools get mo' money. The home cities get mo' money.

Follow the money - Linda Lovelace
Money, Money, Money, It's a rich man's world - Abba
Money, it's a gas, Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash - Pink Floyd
The more I learn about people, the more I like my money - Mark Twain
All you need is money - Lennon/McCartney

Durty's Toe

drunk AF
Sep 2, 2017
Since it's defacto the off-season might as well discuss.

So right now arguably the best 10 teams play in a conference championship game at the end of the season.

That is not even remotely arguable. Except by some random fluke, the best 10 team will never be equally distributed between the conferences. And, it it quite possible to end up in a conference championship game with a conference foe ranked ahead of you. Think SEC-W and SEC-E.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
CFB is first and foremost about $$$$
No conference is going to get rid of their Conference Championship game.

The Super Infallible Unanimous Sweet 16 plan generates mo' money. Everybody wins.
They have already made the bowls irrelevent. A great portion of the teams have to pay more than they make because they can't sell the tickets. No one gives a shyt about going to a Sugar Bowl anymore. That's something they give the 3rd best SEC team sometimes.

No, it makes the season irrelevent. It makes the conference CG irrelevent. Remember those great UF Tinerc or UF Ugly games when the loser felt like their heart was ripped from their chest? Who cares if it is a top 16 thing.

You make the regular season irrelevent, just like the like the regular basketball season.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
That is not even remotely arguable. Except by some random fluke, the best 10 team will never be equally distributed between the conferences. And, it it quite possible to end up in a conference championship game with a conference foe ranked ahead of you. Think SEC-W and SEC-E.
Sooo... You're arguing that it's not arguable.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
6 team playoff.

Top 2 get a bye.

4 - 6 are seeded and play 2 weeks after the conference championship games at the higher ranked team’s home stadium. On Saturday night.

2 weeks later, the winners are reseeded and face 1 and 2 in their home stadium. On Saturday night.

2 weeks later, the winners face each other for the NC at a neutral site. This game is also played on Saturday night. Or schedule it for the off weekend before the Super Bowl. That will guarantee the game a huge TV number.

You basically pull 6 teams out of the Bowl system but all playoff teams get a Bowl-sized payout.

Your fan base doesn’t have to travel to extra neutral site games on short notice (travel, lodging, tickets all expensive plus limited vacation days).

You reward the teams with best regular seasons with home games. The two best get a bye. This helps ensure the eventual NC will have had a great regular season.

You are only adding at most an extra game for 2 teams over the current system.

6 is plenty of teams.

Alex.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Right now that would mean Mississippi St. would be in the playoffs with a chance to win the NC. :facepalm:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Since it's defacto the off-season might as well discuss.

So right now arguably the best 10 teams play in a conference championship game at the end of the season. That same weekend have the remaining six highest ranked teams play three "play-in" games. That would be sweet-16 weekend if you will. The following weekend have the four elite 8 games then continue playoffs as normal.

Advantage is you've only added one week to the season and have given 16 teams a shot.
The winners of the "play-in" games which are played at the highest ranked teams home stadium would of course draw the lowest seeding.

The Elite 8 games would be played at the highest seeds home stadium assuring full attendance.

This method is infallible.

Discuss

P.s. I hate playoffs in any form.

The biggest complaint would be from people who want the highly ranked conference championship game still included in the pool of teams for the round of 8. I personally like your suggestion, but that is the complaint I would most expect to hear.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The biggest complaint would be from people who want the highly ranked conference championship game still included in the pool of teams for the round of 8. I personally like your suggestion, but that is the complaint I would most expect to hear.
The winner of the conference championship games go to the elite 8. So that's five and the "play-in" games held the same weekend give you the other three. The losers of the P5 conference champ game may be more deserving but too bad, soo sad, you lost.
Like I said I'm against any playoffs but for those who are dying to expand it this gets you 16 teams and everybody makes a shyt ton of money. Which is all CFB cares about. The chances for anybody outside the top 2 teams go down exponentially so I wouldn't expect any team outside of idk 5th to ever win it all.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The winner of the conference championship games go to the elite 8. So that's five and the "play-in" games held the same weekend give you the other three. The losers of the P5 conference champ game may be more deserving but too bad, soo sad, you lost.
Like I said I'm against any playoffs but for those who are dying to expand it this gets you 16 teams and everybody makes a shyt ton of money. Which is all CFB cares about. The chances for anybody outside the top 2 teams go down exponentially so I wouldn't expect any team outside of idk 5th to ever win it all.

I understood your proposal. As I said, I think the biggest objection would be that some times a conference would have national ranked 1 playing national ranked say number 3 and the loser would not be able to make the round of 8.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I' more in favor of this idea. You get rid of conferences and create 8 divisions in football. 8 teams per division each year your division plays a different division and at the end of the year all the division winners are seeded for an 8 team playoff. This would allow every team to play each other within every 14 years.

I also think that right now every year you should have to play at least 2 games against power 5 teams outside of your conference. This would still allow for 2 cupcake games. It should be a rotation of conferences as well. Like if you play a Big 10 school then the next year you play a Pac 10 school. And you can't play the same ones.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Too many teams, too many playoff games and it diminishes the value of the regular season.

I think four is fine but I can at least some merit in an eight team format but beyond that we are looking at college football becoming the NFL.

I believe that anything that moves the game closer to the NFL is a huge mistake.

If you aren't one of the eight best teams in the country then you have no beef when you are excluded from the playoffs. Get better.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Too many teams, too many playoff games and it diminishes the value of the regular season.

I think four is fine but I can at least some merit in an eight team format but beyond that we are looking at college football becoming the NFL.

I believe that anything that moves the game closer to the NFL is a huge mistake.

If you aren't one of the eight best teams in the country then you have no beef when you are excluded from the playoffs. Get better.

For now, I favor an 8 team playoff, though I can see arguments for both 4 and 16 and think the arguments for 16 are strong than the ones for 4. That said, Treatmatrix's plan is an 8 team playoff with automatic bids. Automatic bids is the huge plus of the 8 team over the 4 team set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.