Hurricane Florence

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Figured it might be handy to have a thread on the storm with updates and info you wouldn't normally see on TWC and other mainstream networks. Got to be several posters who live in the area--will try to keep it updated with info as it changes.
205721_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

storm_06_ens.gif

rb-animated.gif

DmwG_i9W0AMqwi1.jpg:large

Watch the video below--check out the view deep into the eye. This thing is incredible at this early stage--only going to get worse too.:(

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s not looking good for one of my favorite cities, Charleston, with one of my favorite posters, @SC Gator :sadnanner:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If this thing stalls right when it comes on shore, like they are expecting it to.... we are talking several feet of rain fall. Man this one is going to be rough.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Update: had salmon with a soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic glaze with sautéed green beans. It was good.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
South Carolina orders mandatory evacuations for the entire 187 mile coast line yet this cone looks to be headed straight for North Carolina.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Stay safe. The rainfall potential toward the mountains of NC has me concerned for friends and family.....

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Stay safe. The rainfall potential toward the mountains of NC has me concerned for friends and family.....

Me too. My folks moved up to Hendersonville permanently last year and I have two sisters and their families in Asheville. They’ve had a lot more rain than usual this summer. They’ve had mudslides and some flooding in the area over the summer; the ground can’t absorb much more.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
South Carolina orders mandatory evacuations for the entire 187 mile coast line yet this cone looks to be headed straight for North Carolina.
I'm in Myrtle Beach at the moment, so this blows complete and utter crap...unless it comes close to hitting here

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Hurricanes are huge. It’s going to hit South Carolina, too.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
College football games for UNC and NCSt cancelled.....

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Hurricanes are huge. It’s going to hit South Carolina, too.

Some are, some are not.

Details -
Hurricane-force winds have expanded outward and now extend up to 60
miles (95 km) from the center. Tropical-storm-force winds have also
expanded and now extend outward up to 170 miles (280 km) from the
center.

So as of now, a 120 mile wide swath of at least 74+mph winds.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Here's one recent model run today which could be a nightmare....Florence stalls for hours & hours just offshore from Wilmington, then slowly walks 'down the coast' moving onshore around Charleston. Slowly moving into Georgia meandering (downgraded winds but still very wet) towards Atlanta. The amount of rain in the entire region would be.....epic, with flooding in the lower Appalachian Mountains scary bad. While it is just a model, the ECM models have a very good track record historically.

This is one which hopefully they aren't correct.

ecmwf_florence.png

858_c4cf5f990641cddafa62b6c377ce3afb.png

Found this right after posting the above---the entire 51 member crew of the EURO models can't agree on the direct first hit, but the ensemble does agree on the probability of a down coast crawl and move across SCarolina in towards GA. For those who live in SC and think they are out of the woods based on what TWC and network media is telling them--think again. It "might" be a bit different than those tv weathermen are saying.

864_eaf1d579e5d1498d06043a0cded4208d.png

Last edited:

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Best overall site I have found below. Mike's Weather page. He has massive amount of info so you can get as detailed into your search as you want..

Mike's Weather Page... powered by Sparks Energy!
I get a lot of stuff from there.....as well as some really in-depth technical WX forums used by serious meteorologists---the kind of stuff which is far advanced to my feeble understanding. I learn a lot from them, mostly by just reading and paying attention. They are a serious breed from the technical side of things--especially in one particular forum.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Florence decides to take that slow crawl through Georgia, that track appears to be running very close to if not through Lincolnton (40 miles WNW of Augusta), where I am heaviy involved in the renovation of an old farmhouse. With exception of the foundation and first floor, the old house is basically just propped up with posts. This might get interesting.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Man...had to evacuate today from Myrtle Beach. They shut off our condos elevators and water

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
If Florence decides to take that slow crawl through Georgia, that track appears to be running very close to if not through Lincolnton (40 miles WNW of Augusta), where I am heaviy involved in the renovation of an old farmhouse. With exception of the foundation and first floor, the old house is basically just propped up with posts. This might get interesting.
As you know, structurally, that's when it's at its weakest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb