Hurricane Michael

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I watched the outrageous “looting” of ruined garbage again and you all are right. I’m also now outraged at the moral deficiencies of those living in the vicinity of a destroyed dollar store in a town some have referred to as decimated or gone. I’m sure their houses are fine and they need nothing. I don’t even care that in the video the things you can tell are taken in the video are cleaning supplies and water. Mostly, I am proud to be on a board of such appropriate moral standards (not high standards because this issue of garbage theft is so basic, that the standard is modest at best). I’m sorry to have brought you all down by originally reserving judgment and not feeling outrage from the actions of a decimated community in the storms aftermath.

What’s interesting is that, despite the footage, there seem to be only these individuals whose homes have been affected.

Everyone else is good. If I were to guess, the rest of PC/PCB are sipping tea and enjoying the evening breeze.

Anyway, let me be the first to say that I’m sorry for criticizing people for deliberately taking things that don’t belong to them. Guess I didn’t really think that through.

And congrats on the boogie board.

Last edited:

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I watched the outrageous “looting” of ruined garbage again and you all are right. I’m also now outraged at the moral deficiencies of those living in the vicinity of a destroyed dollar store in a town some have referred to as decimated or gone. I’m sure their houses are fine and they need nothing. I don’t even care that in the video the things you can tell are taken in the video are cleaning supplies and water. Mostly, I am proud to be on a board of such appropriate moral standards (not high standards because this issue of garbage theft is so basic, that the standard is modest at best). I’m sorry to have brought you all down by originally reserving judgment and not feeling outrage from the actions of a decimated community in the storms aftermath.

Glad you have the freedom to have that opinion. And, I'm certain the looters were only interested in cleaning supplies since that's all the brief video showed.

So if your property is ever decimated, you don't mind everyone stopping by and taking whatever interests them.

Got it.

Where you live?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just curious, if they were taking stuff from your house after it had been hit by a hurricane would that be OK?

NWFL GATOR

Nov 12, 2017
This is the street I grew up on in Lynn Haven. My parents rode out the storm regretfully. I had to drive over yesterday and remove a couple off trees that had fallen over on the house. They will be without power and water for weeks.

43788299_10209719321698126_6806483678995152896_n.jpg

43823134_10209719322738152_4792591651547643904_n.jpg

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Just curious, if they were taking stuff from your house after it had been hit by a hurricane would that be OK?
I get it. They are a mob of garbage looters so therefore they are scum that care nothing about their neighbors.

Despite my education in this thread, this is the most absurd analogy and I doubt you even believe it. Someone’s home and belongings versus dollar store inventory that will be thrown in the trash are obviously different. Again, I get it though, my moral compass is just too weak for seeing such distinctions as to “looting” garbage versus taking an individual’s personal belongings. It’s all stealing. I’ve learned now.

Thanks for the explanatory analogy. Let the facepalms rain!

980D228D-749B-40E2-90CC-D00DF3B9BEF2.gif

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
This is the street I grew up on in Lynn Haven. My parents rode out the storm regretfully. I had to drive over yesterday and remove a couple off trees that had fallen over on the house. They will be without power and water for weeks.

43788299_10209719321698126_6806483678995152896_n.jpg

43823134_10209719322738152_4792591651547643904_n.jpg
Looks much like Pensacola after Ivan..Couldn't believe the number of pine trees snapped in two like matchsticks. For the next couple of years folks should always make sure they have a good spare in their vehicles. The roads will have cleanup debris in that long and flats are a common occurance.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I get it. They are a mob of garbage looters so therefore they are scum that care nothing about their neighbors.

Despite my education in this thread, this is the most absurd analogy and I doubt you even believe it. Someone’s home and belongings versus dollar store inventory that will be thrown in the trash are obviously different. Again, I get it though, my moral compass is just too weak for seeing such distinctions as to “looting” garbage versus taking an individual’s personal belongings. It’s all stealing. I’ve learned now.

You’re an epic dumbass. That “trash” inventory is part of a businesses assets that THEY should decide what is salvageable or not...just like any homeowner should be able to do the same with their assets.
Those scumbag m’fers are looters. No more, no less. You defending them speaks volumes about your own character.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015

Actually, not all of it is just going to the dump.. Some will be salvaged by the insurers and sold to dealers. Much of the stuff you see at flea markets come from these sources.. So they are stealing from somebody. Granted some may be desperate, but most are just thieves...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

If I'm an equity or debt holder in Dollar Tree Inc., it's inventory of a company in which I have a financial stake, and therefore(specifically if I'm the latter) mine.

Not sure why you've insisted on taking this to the mat and making it such a personal issue. No one has said you have a weak moral compass. But you're clearly on the wrong side of an argument that involves living in a civilized society vs complete disregard for it.

I was also very complimentary of your new boogie board.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
In complete and total fairness, these stores are getting massive insurance payouts regardless. They'll have records of their most recent inventory.

It's still stealing, but the stores/companies are going to make out alright (as long as they have insurance).

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
In complete and total fairness, these stores are getting massive insurance payouts regardless. They'll have records of their most recent inventory.

It's still stealing, but the stores/companies are going to make out alright (as long as they have insurance).
It doesn’t justify stealing from them...or anyone else.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
If I'm an equity or debt holder in Dollar Tree Inc., it's inventory of a company in which I have a financial stake, and therefore(specifically if I'm the latter) mine.

Not sure why you've insisted on taking this to the mat and making it such a personal issue. No one has said you have a weak moral compass.

I was also very complimentary of your new boogie board.

I was done until the analogy to stealing from someone’s house, which is just silly.

As my favorite poster in this board, your point above is still incorrect regarding being a debt holder or investor being harmed at all. That inventory is trash now no matter how judgmental we get about the people sitting through it. Not even the insurer is being screwed, as the cost to salvage, clean, store, ship to an open store, and re-inventory dollar store storm inventory greatly exceeds its current value. I understand that others are claiming it shouldn’t matter, but there’s a difference.

I don’t actually think anyone’s attacking my morality since it’s a message board and we’re all fairly anonymous here so that would be tough.

Thanks for the compliment on the boogie board. I picked it out in the back of the store.

If I was there, maybe I wouldn’t have power to see our D getting torn up by Vandy right now.

Go Gators. Let’s start a comeback for the Michael victims.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Just as if a thief stole from you your insurance would cover it. I still don't see how having insurance has anything to do with the fact that these people are stealing.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I wish we'd start cutting off fingers and hands of thieves, but lowlife fcks who steal during a catastrophic disaster like this should lose their heads.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Have younger friends up volunteering with a group who also volunteered during Katrina. He said this damage looks worse. Where stuff was hit, it is just gone.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just as if a thief stole from you your insurance would cover it. I still don't see how having insurance has anything to do with the fact that these people are stealing.
Did I say it was ok? No. I just said the owners would be compensated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.