Weve been there for years.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it feels like we are the last of the fanatics. And we are slowly losing our grip.

Just too damn painful to watch a shyt show every damn week for year after year after year.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yup, gator football is just bad and not fun at all. I'll still watch games, but they will involve teams who are functional and capable of providing something entertaining. I could even deal with losses here and there if we at least looked like we belonged on the field with the team we were playing.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
I 100% completely agree with you. It is absolutely of our own making. And that is the exact reason I'm stepping back from gator football for a while. It's not fun, hasn't been in a long time, and I'm too emotionally invested in it which puts me in a sour mood and takes time away from more important things like my family. Despite the level of emotion/investment being completely on the fan, that doesn't mean you can simply shut off caring like you can a light switch. That is the reason I have chosen to focus time elsewhere for now. I am too invested, and it's going to take me putting it on the backburner for a while to change that. Surely you can understand this.

I don't know if this will offer any help to you, but I'd like to share something that happened to me earlier this year. Before I do, I'm very similar to you. Die hard life long Gator fan. Dad has season tickets and I was able to go the 08 BCS game in Miami. Highlight of my Gator fan life. I used to be the yell at the tv, throw stuff, cuss at the coaches, treat my wife poor, etc kinda guy when stuff didn't go right.

Earlier this year I got to go to the Invictus Games in Orlando. If you aren't familiar with them they are basically para-Olympic games for injured combat vets from all over the world. What I witnessed profoundly impacted me.

First of all, I saw people competing with a passion and fierceness that I have ever witnessed. No matter what event I watched I saw people fighting with everything they had and it didn't matter if they were winning, or in dead last place.

Secondly, I saw sportsmanship that can't even be described in words. I saw people crush people in events and turn around and high five each other after every big it, big win, etc. I saw people legitimately be happy when their opponent did something spectacular. It was truly amazing.

So why do I tell you this? Witnessing this changed me. It changed my entire outlook on sports. I still cheer for my teams. I celebrate their wins and get bummed when they lose. But guess what? It's just a game now. It's meant to entertain me. If we lose, we lose. There are more important things in life.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I could even deal with losses here and there if we at least looked like we belonged on the field with the team we were playing.

Actually this is what I expected this year. I figured we would lose a couple but show strong signs of improvement and we would feel good about the future. Didnt happen.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Me too. I figured anywhere from 2 (best case) to 4 losses but either way, look functional, move the ball well. Score points, play with some energy, make plays down the field, and be in the games regardless of who the opponent was, not slip around and almost lose to bottom dwellers, then follow it up by second half meltdowns against meh sec east teams.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Never thought Mac believed in "hands-off" player development.??
So next Mac might try selling Dr.Pepper.

StPeteGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can commiserate with the OP. Thankfully, I'm not able to watch very many daytime games because I have young kids and they're more important than football. But I follow the game on my phone whenever I'm out with the kids and quite frankly I'm glad I didn't get to watch the last two (I deleted the UF/UT game because I can't watch garbage like that). I am recording today's game when it plays later tonight but I won't probably watch the replay. I couldn't wait for the season to start. Now I feel apathetic. Same sht, different season.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I watched my 10 y.o son pitch 3 innings this morning and he is literally unhittable in his age group. Then my 14 y.o daughter had a softball tourney and played her ass off all afternoon. So......I erased the UF game cause I didn't need to be bummed out after watching those two kill it all day.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
Watching Clemson drive right down the field with 30 seconds left in the half and not wasting any time to score a TD right before the half. Gosh, how much I miss Steve "Step On Your Throat" Spurrier.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
seems like a lifetime ago that I was actually excited. Sad thing is that I actually let myself believe it would start to get better this year and that maybe mac was the guy at least to get us going in the right direction. I just want to look like an actual college team again. I watch all the other games and they all make it look so simple at times. Its a dumpster fire and mac is in over his head, and if he can't get a good class this year on the lines and at LB we are toast.

Gatorbait_007

Jan 14, 2016
Last year was as easy as it gets. We went 10-4 which sounds great but really look at the schedule. In the 10 games we won only 3 teams finished with a winning record. Of those 3 teams we played a GA team with a QB making his first start, We made an unthinkable number of 4th down conversions vs Tenn and Ole Miss I am not sure how we won that. The east was down and for the taking.

Mac is now 14-5 as our coach. Those 14 wins those teams had a combined record of 64-79 with only 3 teams above .500. Think about that for a minute he has 11 wins currently from teams below .500. In his 5 loses the teams are 47-10. This year the games we won teams have a combined record of 7-13. His dog could coach and play QB and lead us to victory against those teams.

This to me shows we were lucky as heck to win the east last year and our luck is running out. Tenn is getting better. GA has a QB again. Mac is 14-5 because he has played an easy schedule. I see a team that beats teams they should beat (barely in some cases) and a team that has somehow won against 3 out of the 8 times they played a good team.

The post game vs Vandy was the same old same old. Mac tells some saying to make him sound deep minded and zen like. Talks about the things we are gonna fix. Then the players get on stage and say this crap. “Some teams, when they’re playing the Florida Gators, they’re amped up and ready to come out and beat us,” running back Jordan Scarlett said.“Sometimes, (the) Gators just come out a little lazy, like we’re supposed to win.”
and this sweet nugget by duck roll tabor “I don’t want to say it’s a different mindset, but it is,” cornerback Jalen Tabor said. “Look at the teams we play. I feel like we threw the first punch last week against Tennessee. We threw the first punch against Kentucky. I don’t want say Vandy got to us, but … UMass, North Texas and Vandy is like uhh. Kentucky and Tennessee is like (slaps hands).”
“We’re on another level when we’re mad and (ticked) off,” Brantley said. “We can’t be touched.” Really Mr. Brantley must not get ticked off often then.

We put that product on the field and they talk about the reason's being laziness, not looking forward to this game, playing not to lose. A "win is a win" is all you hear, you know who says that is teams that get lucky, lazy teams, poorly coached teams. You only use that saying when you are favorited and you play like crap you don't blow a team out by 40 and say a win is a win.

I'm not at the fire Mac stage, but he seriously needs to look at his style of getting players ready for the games. There are staff changes needed hopefully this AD opens the pockets for those to get done.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Tried to regain the non-stress focus. Went to my kid soccer games again. Rob (7) scored 3 goals and assisted another in his first game (5-2). FIRST game. Then they scrimmaged kids vs parents to keep the kids warm in the 60deg drizzle. They have Rob's second game scheduled after the first 15 min of Hannah's (10) game. Again on adjacent fields so it worked.....but. Hannah's team lost 2-1 against a team they absolutely could beat. Short 2 players, they played their butts off....well some did. Others quit once the ball got 5 yds from them. That's when I lost it - too many quitters unwilling to do what it takes to win. I've stated to the wife before that I isolate myself where nobody can here me swearing. I had to turn my back and not watch Hannah's game as she was doing her best, as well as a few others with limited skill. All of them fit this 'low skill' but not all of them showed that much ability even if they had it. Hannah was most upset at her team mates, and as we kept running off about the mistakes certain kids made, I'd remind her "Complaining about them doesn't matter, it doesn't help. What can WE do to help them get better, and what can we improve about ourselves?). Then Rob lost his second game 3-0, where the long day had taken it's toll and the defenders were having a splash party ignoring the game because of the puddles Bottom line - first game (Rob) awesome, second game (Hannah) ok, but disappointing; and last game (Rob) very disappointing as well.

Then I come home to no FL game on FIOS. Only Alcorn State vs ARK. Expletives galore. Get home in time to load 2nd QTR live off the PC, and we leave at halftime for a friend's kids' B-day party. There goes the second half for viewing....or recording for that matter.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Last year was as easy as it gets. We went 10-4 which sounds great but really look at the schedule. In the 10 games we won only 3 teams finished with a winning record. Of those 3 teams we played a GA team with a QB making his first start, We made an unthinkable number of 4th down conversions vs Tenn and Ole Miss I am not sure how we won that. The east was down and for the taking.

Mac is now 14-5 as our coach. Those 14 wins those teams had a combined record of 64-79 with only 3 teams above .500. Think about that for a minute he has 11 wins currently from teams below .500. In his 5 loses the teams are 47-10. This year the games we won teams have a combined record of 7-13. His dog could coach and play QB and lead us to victory against those teams.

This to me shows we were lucky as heck to win the east last year and our luck is running out. Tenn is getting better. GA has a QB again. Mac is 14-5 because he has played an easy schedule. I see a team that beats teams they should beat (barely in some cases) and a team that has somehow won against 3 out of the 8 times they played a good team.

The post game vs Vandy was the same old same old. Mac tells some saying to make him sound deep minded and zen like. Talks about the things we are gonna fix. Then the players get on stage and say this crap. “Some teams, when they’re playing the Florida Gators, they’re amped up and ready to come out and beat us,” running back Jordan Scarlett said.“Sometimes, (the) Gators just come out a little lazy, like we’re supposed to win.”
and this sweet nugget by duck roll tabor “I don’t want to say it’s a different mindset, but it is,” cornerback Jalen Tabor said. “Look at the teams we play. I feel like we threw the first punch last week against Tennessee. We threw the first punch against Kentucky. I don’t want say Vandy got to us, but … UMass, North Texas and Vandy is like uhh. Kentucky and Tennessee is like (slaps hands).”
“We’re on another level when we’re mad and (ticked) off,” Brantley said. “We can’t be touched.” Really Mr. Brantley must not get ticked off often then.

We put that product on the field and they talk about the reason's being laziness, not looking forward to this game, playing not to lose. A "win is a win" is all you hear, you know who says that is teams that get lucky, lazy teams, poorly coached teams. You only use that saying when you are favorited and you play like crap you don't blow a team out by 40 and say a win is a win.

I'm not at the fire Mac stage, but he seriously needs to look at his style of getting players ready for the games. There are staff changes needed hopefully this AD opens the pockets for those to get done.

I share your concerns and definitely don't enjoy us being slightly above average. at least with Mc we win the games we are supposed to. That wasn't the case with Zook or Muschamp. But agree we certainly aspire higher than that.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I share your concerns and definitely don't enjoy us being slightly above average. at least with Mc we win the games we are supposed to. That wasn't the case with Zook or Muschamp. But agree we certainly aspire higher than that.

This is kinda where I found myself today considering all the negative nellies. This is what Florida Football is at this day and age. Yeah, we were great under Spurrier, then Meyer, but in between we've been utter crap with Zook and WM. Timing wise, this should be an up-step from WM and while we are winning, we aren't dominating or inspiring confidence. It is who we is at this point. Long for the good ol days, but we're not getting back to those in short order. Pumpers (myself included) can hope Mac is setting things in place, and we can accept some changes will have to be made ("For the good, we assure you"). But bottom line is this, we're winning but not dominating. Our staff is still stumbling on some points that should have been known and addressed with a corrective plan before they accepted the jobs.

As much as I want to pump, and believe Mac will turn this around, my fear is that there are another 2-5 yrs of muddling around under him, as we did with WM, before we realize this simply isn't going to work. Either it works or it doesn't. And we don't have Foley and WM to keep extending that evaluation period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator