"I believe I can win with my dog Claribelle"

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
That is what McElwain actually is quoted as having said in response to UF's prior lack of QB play at his opening press conference. I looked it up and here the quotation:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-i-can-win-with-my-dog-claribelle-playing-qb/

He is often slightly misquoted on this and some say it is a sign he was not humble enough coming into a job. I now wonder looking back if UF fans should have looked at this not as a lack of humility, but rather a warning. I wonder if Foley had sold him that UF had all the resources of anyone and has long had a UAL jealousy, causing McElwain to signal he was planning to build a UAL type program here as his boss wanted. I now see McElwain saying in that statement that under him UF would be fine with the continued bad QB play of the recent past. That is McElwain came to UF not particularly concerned about improving the QB play or offense despite other things said in that press conference.

That certainly appears to be what McElwain has tried to do in his 2 and a half seasons. In some ways Foley sold McElwain a bill of goods not unlike the bill of goods sold to Meyer. UF is not UAL or even Ohio State. There are certain ways UF differs from UAL that can make it harder to win at UF. Among them are:

1. UF and its entire fan base is not a walking talking NCAA violation. UF went that route with Charlie Pell and decided as a university that it was not willing to go there. This means that it will always be hard to recruit like UAL when they are winning at UF.

2. At UF the head football coach gets to suspend players for being late for team meetings or missing practice and that is about it. The knucklehead 9 are suspended by the university. Despite even the Gainesville _Sun_ guys sometimes talking about McElwain suspending this or that player, most of those times it was UF that suspended them not McElwain. That is not the case at other programs and apparently even was relaxed for Meyer at UF since he had the presidents ear.

3. The press is not as compliant here as in Alabama or even Columbus Ohio. Sure the Gainesville _Sun_ and Gatorcountry are pretty compliant, but the rest of the media around the state are tougher on the UF program than at UAL.

4. UF's fan are likely to vote against a lackluster product on the field even if that product is winning. Apparently this is happening all over college football, but at UF given UF's history having an entertaining product on the field is more important to the program.

5. UF's admissions standards for athletes is above the minimum applied at other places.

Well that is my rant on this. I now view McElwain's correctly quoted statement about Claribelle as more of a warning than a lack of humility.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
add the fact that florida is the team everyone wants to beat....

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting, but i don't see that. Because even if he thought that we were trying to be Alabama, he still needs to win!!!

Are you saying that you think Mac was under the impression that he would have the support of UF like at UAL the way Saban does?

From every thing I hear, Saban is a micromanage and sits in on offense and defense. I've seen Saban expect perfection and go crazy on assistant even with a 20 or lead.

Mac appears disinterested, aloof, and careless. He displays an administrator attitude. I get the impression that he is hands off and expects the assistants to coach the team while he picks the paint color for the new office chairs.

So his claribelle comment absolutely fits that assessment as someone who is hands off, stubborn, not used to the work involved, and disinterested.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
At the time, I'm sure he thought it made him sound confident. I bet he regrets saying that now.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
To which I say, "Suit her up, for chrissakes!"

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Mac put her up for adoption....jerk. Luckily she has been adopted.

clara.JPG

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
Anytime this quote is brought up the local media like to say that he was joking and that he really doesn't believe he can win with his dog. Well no sh!t, I don't think anyone thought he could literally dress his dog and win. The point is that he was giving off a vibe that he was extremely confident in his abilities and it turns out that it was just false cockiness. I can't wait until he's saying this stuff for a different team, go fall of the turnip truck somewhere else.

I'm also sure that someone believes he could win with his dog but I don't think the staff can make the adjustments. Nuss would be calling constant passes and I'm not sure the dog has the arm for that.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
That is what McElwain actually is quoted as having said in response to UF's prior lack of QB play at his opening press conference. I looked it up and here the quotation:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-i-can-win-with-my-dog-claribelle-playing-qb/

He is often slightly misquoted on this and some say it is a sign he was not humble enough coming into a job. I now wonder looking back if UF fans should have looked at this not as a lack of humility, but rather a warning. I wonder if Foley had sold him that UF had all the resources of anyone and has long had a UAL jealousy, causing McElwain to signal he was planning to build a UAL type program here as his boss wanted. I now see McElwain saying in that statement that under him UF would be fine with the continued bad QB play of the recent past. That is McElwain came to UF not particularly concerned about improving the QB play or offense despite other things said in that press conference.

That certainly appears to be what McElwain has tried to do in his 2 and a half seasons. In some ways Foley sold McElwain a bill of goods not unlike the bill of goods sold to Meyer. UF is not UAL or even Ohio State. There are certain ways UF differs from UAL that can make it harder to win at UF. Among them are:

1. UF and its entire fan base is not a walking talking NCAA violation. UF went that route with Charlie Pell and decided as a university that it was not willing to go there. This means that it will always be hard to recruit like UAL when they are winning at UF.

2. At UF the head football coach gets to suspend players for being late for team meetings or missing practice and that is about it. The knucklehead 9 are suspended by the university. Despite even the Gainesville _Sun_ guys sometimes talking about McElwain suspending this or that player, most of those times it was UF that suspended them not McElwain. That is not the case at other programs and apparently even was relaxed for Meyer at UF since he had the presidents ear.

3. The press is not as compliant here as in Alabama or even Columbus Ohio. Sure the Gainesville _Sun_ and Gatorcountry are pretty compliant, but the rest of the media around the state are tougher on the UF program than at UAL.

4. UF's fan are likely to vote against a lackluster product on the field even if that product is winning. Apparently this is happening all over college football, but at UF given UF's history having an entertaining product on the field is more important to the program.

5. UF's admissions standards for athletes is above the minimum applied at other places.

Well that is my rant on this. I now view McElwain's correctly quoted statement about Claribelle as more of a warning than a lack of humility.

1xpfob.jpg

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Watch this.........starts with a relevant question and answer.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
add the fact that florida is the team everyone wants to beat....
Any time you have a good successful run, it makes people want to beat you more. Look at Alabama, people tear down the goal posts when they beat Alabama. When Alabama wins, it is just another game for them.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Anytime this quote is brought up the local media like to say that he was joking and that he really doesn't believe he can win with his dog. Well no sh!t, I don't think anyone thought he could literally dress his dog and win. The point is that he was giving off a vibe that he was extremely confident in his abilities and it turns out that it was just false cockiness. I can't wait until he's saying this stuff for a different team, go fall of the turnip truck somewhere else.

I'm also sure that someone believes he could win with his dog but I don't think the staff can make the adjustments. Nuss would be calling constant passes and I'm not sure the dog has the arm for that.

Here it is.....the Q&A with the dog.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Foley sold Mac a bill of goods. :lol: Like we were that desperate out shopping head coaches in the Mountain West Conference that we had to oversell the job description. :lol: :lol:

No, Insti, Foley sold you and I a bill of goods. It's nearly three years later and we're still standing here empty-handed with a biga$$ invoice tatooed to our foreheads.

Whenever a guy says he can win with his dog, believe only the dog part.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Interesting, but i don't see that. Because even if he thought that we were trying to be Alabama, he still needs to win!!!

Are you saying that you think Mac was under the impression that he would have the support of UF like at UAL the way Saban does?

From every thing I hear, Saban is a micromanage and sits in on offense and defense. I've seen Saban expect perfection and go crazy on assistant even with a 20 or lead.

Mac appears disinterested, aloof, and careless. He displays an administrator attitude. I get the impression that he is hands off and expects the assistants to coach the team while he picks the paint color for the new office chairs.

So his claribelle comment absolutely fits that assessment as someone who is hands off, stubborn, not used to the work involved, and disinterested.

I guess my view is that McElwain did not understand the UF job and the guy who hired him was happy to allow him to not understand the UF job. His appearance of aloofness could well be his reaction to discovering with the Taylor incident that UF was not UAL.

Foley sold Mac a bill of goods. :lol: Like we were that desperate out shopping head coaches in the Mountain West Conference that we had to oversell the job description. :lol: :lol:

No, Insti, Foley sold you and I a bill of goods. It's nearly three years later and we're still standing here empty-handed with a biga$$ invoice tatooed to our foreheads.

Whenever a guy says he can win with his dog, believe only the dog part.

I certainly agree that Foley sold a bill of goods to us. The idea that having learned from the Zook/Muschamp hires and McElwain was an offensive guy was clearly only for the fans.

On the other hand, comments about Urban Meyer's hiring, convinced me that Foley has been selling a bill of goods to coaching hires. Meyer supposed picking UF over UND in part because UND had such tough academic standards made me realize that Foley was happy to let coaches he hired be uninformed about the rigors of the UF job. Similarly, I suspect that Foley said to McElwain that he wanted him to come to UF to run a UAL type program here AS IF THAT COULD ACTUALLY BE DONE SUCCESSFULLY. As my earlier post pointed out, UF is quite different from many football factories.

This is part of why the 1990 to 2001 UF football program was the envy of the entire sport and really the entire college athletic world. That is part of the reason the Meyer hiring blew up in UF's face. That is part of the reason Foley's ignorant chase after copying the UAL program was doomed to failure.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What Mac didn't say was that Claribelle had a hell of an arm, a quick release, could read the field, and was good for 120 yards per game rushing. Claribelle could break ankles. But Claribelle was not eligible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator