I hope Leon Orr comes back

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Orr is s 5th year senior, that puts him at what 23 years old. He is old enough to know the consequences of his decisions. And Muschamp made it very clear what the consequences of going home would be. Understand this very carefully, Orr chose to abandon his team on game day and on the road no less. "I" do not want him on the team.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n102476 said:
I readily admit that I don't know every detail, and tend to be biased in these cases. But based solely on my opinion that many of WM's decisions have been wrong up to this point, I'm not a big fan of the decision. Players have spoken about it as a "shock", saying that he was a good teammate and improving individual. So I think divits is correct that he panicked a bit, perhaps due to some personal circumstances, and felt that his time to impress scouts was closing and he needed, or even deserved, to start.

My biggest issue here is that it's a mistake. Orr shouldn't have acted that way, and already got some of his punishment by being sent home. But for a 40 something year old who has largely failed at his job, made terrible personnel decisions, botched several recruiting opportunities, yelled at a fan, condescendingly lashed out at reporters following an epic loss, and told an entire fan base comprised of the very people who write his pay check to "get a grip", and yet still feels he deserves another chance, I find it discouraging that he is so definitive in his not allowing a 21 year old to come back from a mistake of his own.

But when did Muschamp ever just leave and quit on the team? You are comparing apples to oranges.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
NavetG8r;n102675 said:
Zack posted this over on the "other" message board, so be aware if you click the link to read this, you will be giving them some traffic. I thought it was worth sharing anyway. Not that I feel what Orr did was necessarily excusable, but his side of the story is worth hearing imo.

http://forum.gatorsports.com/topic/31939-leon-orr-letter/#entry736340
Well we should definitely fire Muschamp now

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Orr made a stupid mistake, but so did Muschamp. I see no reason why this should have been aired out on Saturday. Keep it in house until it becomes public and you have to address it. Muschamp also painted himself into a corner, if he were to have second thoughts on letting him back on the team. All that said, I have no problem with Muschamps decision, other than the airing of team laundry

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Does anyone think Orr put his thoughts to WM as delicately as he wrote that letter?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n102675 said:
Zack posted this over on the "other" message board, so be aware if you click the link to read this, you will be giving them some traffic. I thought it was worth sharing anyway. Not that I feel what Orr did was necessarily excusable, but his side of the story is worth hearing imo.

If all that is mostly accurate I could see how the kid might have snapped if he had been practicing with the 1's up to Saturday but the problem is he is a senior and it doesn't give the time to give him an indefinite suspension to get his self back on the team. The letter is probably damage control but the coaches sure wont be pleased with it. Its crazy how these head coaches don't always visit someone in the hospital for an extended period - I have heard that about others also.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n102688 said:
Orr made a stupid mistake, but so did Muschamp. I see no reason why this should have been aired out on Saturday. Keep it in house until it becomes public and you have to address it. Muschamp also painted himself into a corner, if he were to have second thoughts on letting him back on the team. All that said, I have no problem with Muschamps decision, other than the airing of team laundry

I agree that was wrong to air it out on game day. Just say he isn't dressing for unspecified reasons or something until the next day.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n102706 said:
Its crazy how these head coaches don't always visit someone in the hospital for an extended period - I have heard that about others also.

What are you talking about?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n102712 said:
What are you talking about?

Orr said only his position coach I think visted him when he was in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks and I have heard other coaches like Saban have failed to go see players also that had extended hospital stays.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n102711 said:
Have any players given their feedback?

Florida center Max Garcia weighed in on the ordeal Monday.

“Leon, he's a guy that I respect a lot,” Garcia said. “He was really developing as a person. So when that happened it kind of struck me off guard. But Muschamp is Muschamp and he's not going to tolerate putting himself above the team. It's unfortunate that it happened.”

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n102675 said:

The article is :bsflag:

No way in hell Leon wrote that letter..... It's all rationalization...

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n102715 said:
Orr said only his position coach I think visted him when he was in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks and I have heard other coaches like Saban have failed to go see players also that had extended hospital stays.

Ah ok. I can't click the link so it just seemed like a really random comment.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure neither Orr or Muschamp are telling the full story, and both of their stories are inconsistent. Orr claimed that he was practicing as the starter all week. Muschamp said he was not. Either one of them is outright lying or Orr misinterpreted his role on the team for that week. My guess is that Orr assumed he was the starter because all the time he spent with the ones but was never told he would start, and Muschamp simply planned on rotating him in a lot during the game.

Of course well all don't know exactly what was said in the conversation before Orr left Nashville. We know what the conversation was about and the end result but don't know specifically what was said. My guess is that Orr crossed the line many times in what he said and how he said it. If I go to my boss with a complaint screaming and cussing at him, I won't have a job anymore. I don't know if that's what happened, but with this story it seems like there is more to it than what has been made public.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gator Fever;n102717 said:
Florida center Max Garcia weighed in on the ordeal Monday.

“Leon, he's a guy that I respect a lot,” Garcia said. “He was really developing as a person. So when that happened it kind of struck me off guard. But Muschamp is Muschamp and he's not going to tolerate putting himself above the team. It's unfortunate that it happened.”
I take that worth a lot more than a letter three days later.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n102575 said:
Again, I'm fine with Orr being held accountable. I just believe that people make bad decisions. WM has made plenty, and wants to be excused for his. I'd rather Orr face a punishment but potentially have the opportunity to work his way back. In short, as I said initially, I no longer trust WM's judgement on anything, and have approximately 4 years of data to support that opinion.

As for your last line, I've not attacked anyone else's view on this. I have a differing opinion here. If we're going to get into taking shots and characterization of ideas, then I'd love to revisit the past 15 months of your constant WM apologizing. We can disagree, but let's be respectful.

Fair enough. You are always respecful and I should have been as well. My apologies.

As for my WM apologizing... I will support him and hope he succeeds until he is no longer our coach. He may be our coach next year (I think if he wins out it is definite, if we beat USCe and lose to FSU...) and if he is I will still support him. I have said all along I would have had no issues with him being fired after 2013, he wasn't so I move on and support our coach. Feel free to revisit that anytime, I am not ashamed of my stance.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n102690 said:
Does anyone think Orr put his thoughts to WM as delicately as he wrote that letter?

Uhhhh... no.

Additionally, if you subtract all of the sad story out of this, it boils down to him feeling entitled. While his story is sad (if contrived - he's definitely telling it too elicit sympathy), we don't know that it's any sadder than the guy who started in his place. Even if it is, it doesn't entitle him to start. From his own words, he wasn't promised anything and he's made several logic errors (ex. starters get NFL careers vs. people who get NFL careers are good enough to start). I hope he learns the right things from this and doesn't continue to blame others for not giving him "what he is entitled" to.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n102732 said:
Fair enough. You are always respecful and I should have been as well. My apologies.

As for my WM apologizing... I will support him and hope he succeeds until he is no longer our coach. He may be our coach next year (I think if he wins out it is definite, if we beat USCe and lose to FSU...) and if he is I will still support him. I have said all along I would have had no issues with him being fired after 2013, he wasn't so I move on and support our coach. Feel free to revisit that anytime, I am not ashamed of my stance.

We're good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.