I know it is not going to happen, but one big reason to hire Spurrier

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It is a real shame UF does not really seem interested in hiring Spurrier to be the head football coach again and at least outwardly Spurrier says he is done coaching at the college level. At age 72, Spurrier is 6 years younger than Bill Snyder at KSU. Bowden and Paterno both coached into their 80s.

I think Spurrier would do a fine job again at UF. Maybe one of the young guys UF is looking at will do as well but maybe not. Every coaching hire is a crap shoot, even hiring Spurrier again would be so maybe he would be a disaster a second time around.

But a big benefit to the program of hiring back Spurrier would be that in his fourth year he would very possibly become the coach to have won the most SEC games in history. Right now Spurrier sits with 131 SEC wins at UF/SoCar. That is 28 games behind Bryant with 159 conference game wins at UAL/UK. With 8 or 9 conference games a year, it is certainly possible for Spurrier to pass Bryant before he reaches Bill Snyder's current age.

For long time UF fans and really for all fans, this should be a great achievement. It one that would add to the luster and tradition of the program. But alas, I guess it is not to be. Who knows maybe it is for the best. I would hate to see Spurrier hanging on to get such a record, but boy it would be glorious to see him come back and go 8-1, 9-0, 6-2, and 8-1 and break this record early in this 4th season back at UF.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
UF doesn't seem interested? It's Spurrier that isn't interested.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
w6x8g.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure they're mutually disinterested for practical reasons.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier has no intention of putting in the work necessary to be a head coach anymore. He's said as much and I believe him.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I love Spurrier, and if he had a true burning desire to coach again, I'd be all for hiring him. But... he doesn't, so it ain't gonna happen. Now, give him whatever office he wants, pay him as much as he asks for, and let him play a major role in the interview process for the new coach.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure everyone's getting it. He's past head coaching, but he isn't past coaching 'em up.

Hint: If you want a damn good OC who'll recruit from his mere presence, then consider.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let him be a 'QB consultant' with the next staff.

I think he wants something more visceral. He wants to be on the field working with them on mechanics. That may actually be his calling more than OC at this advanced stage.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think he wants something more visceral. He wants to be on the field working with them on mechanics. That may actually be his calling more than OC at this advanced stage.
That is what I'd call a QB consultant if I understand what you are painting.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How much admin type crap does a QB coach have to do? The on the field stuff I'd agree he'd love/live to do.

Not much. That's what admins for admin are for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.